Question Stuttering across PC, especially when loading anything or booting up a game.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bentheblobfish

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
Hi all.
In the past months, my PC has been experiencing stuttering across the entire PC, especially when loading into areas in games. In games, when starting a multiplayer match and loading into the map or just loading into games in general, the stutter is fairly long. sometimes, when booting up a game from desktop, my pc can freeze for up to 5-10 seconds.

I think this could have something to do with a very high number of hard pagefaults. I can fairly consistently get 1000-2000 hard pagefaults when opening up chrome, for example (based on readings from latencymon). There might be a slight hitch when I do this as well. When launching games, it varies, however in performance monitor when launching fortnite (the worst game I have tested) i have seen it be 100,000+ hard page faults a second.

I have seen moderately high DPC latency in latencymon (up to 1500, give or take) from the video driver as well. from what I understand, DPC latency and hard pagefaults go hand in hand, but I could be wrong.

I have replaced every component in the PC except for the GPU and the PSU attempting to fix this. This includes a fresh install of windows on an SSD.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bentheblobfish

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
Are you working on this IN the case or on the bench/countertop/table etc.?

I'd really recommend benching things and with minimal hardware attached. Literally, ONLY what is necessary to determine it is or is not still doing, whatever it's doing.

it is in the case, but again, i have already used system in the minium spec configuration