Question Stuttering after change to ssd and clean windows 10 install on a toshiba laptop(from 100 fps to 60 fps)still stuttering

elric91

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
i have a toshiba laptop with a gt740 m nvidia card and a hd graphics 4600( i now they are old) ,i change the hhd hardrive for a crucial bx 240 gb ssd.before the change i was playing games normally smooth on 80-120 fps,on 1280x720 ,on low textures and everything,Now with the change i am playing HALO MCC from 95-40 fps(I play older games in order to play on medium to high fps) giving me stuttering when i play ,now is unplayable even if i limit it to 60 it goes from 60 to 40fps ,before the change i also notice the gpu max temperature was 100 degrees now is locked at 75 ,so maybe its downclocking when it reaches 75.all drivers are updated.i dont if it can fix it,but is there a way to unlock max gpu temp,or anyone whats the problem here, ill try to put the hhd and see if it works but i really want to use the ssd form faster load times and multitasking,thank you very much hope someone can help me.
Ps: starts stuttering after a few minutes of starting playing some games vsyncs on fix it for a few minutes but after 30 min or more it star stuttering again.
(msi monitor readings) https://ibb.co/2v7MPqx

Last edited:

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
The cause of the stuttering is clearly a heat issue, 100c is not an acceptable temp at all, the GPU is throttling and downclocking in order to protect itself from frying.

Anyways, a good practice is to clean the fan and change the thermal paste of both GPU and CPU, also try not to use the laptop on a flat surface, this will mostly fix the stuttering and give you better thermals.

Yea, 100C is a dangerously high temp. If anything, despite the performance drop, the new SSD has made the GPU function properly again, though it should go higher than 75C. I would say try swapping back to the HDD, to see what changes.

elric91

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
The cause of the stuttering is clearly a heat issue, 100c is not an acceptable temp at all, the GPU is throttling and downclocking in order to protect itself from frying.

Anyways, a good practice is to clean the fan and change the thermal paste of both GPU and CPU, also try not to use the laptop on a flat surface, this will mostly fix the stuttering and give you better thermals.
i know the temperature on the gpu and cpu are ok ,like i said they dont pass the 75 degrees(locked maybe to avoid high temperatures),it was was all good before the ssd change i playing on 80-85 degrees.i have alredy change the thermal paste and clean the fan the fans like 3 times but everything is the same,i use a cooler pad to put my laptop on https://ibb.co/0y50J9q (msi monitor readings)

Last edited:

elric91

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
Yea, 100C is a dangerously high temp. If anything, despite the performance drop, the new SSD has made the GPU function properly again, though it should go higher than 75C. I would say try swapping back to the HDD, to see what changes.
i was playing today and first it was locked at 80 and after and hour or 2,it was locked at 75 ,is there a way to unlock it at least to 85 -90 degrees,or the gpu does it on its own depending on the conditon of the heatsink and fans? https://ibb.co/0y50J9q (msi monitor readings)

Last edited: