CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @ Stock
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Masterliquid ML240L
RAM: G.SKILL Value 2x4GB @ 2400MHz CL15
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W 80+ Gold
GPU: ASUS Strix RX 5600 XT OC
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

AMD Driver Version: 20.4.2 (15/5/2020)
vBIOS Date: 24/3/2020 (Tried old bios and new bios, no changes.)

First of all, thank you for even clicking on this and reading through this. I really appreciate it. Now to my problem.

I got my RX 5600 XT about 6 days ago and since then I've been experiencing stuttering in every game I play (Modern Warfare, Mirrors Edge Catalyst, CS:GO) except one game being osu!.

What I have noticed is that the core clock speed and memory speed keep fluctuating. The core clock speed is between 1650-1730MHz but when having stutters dropping to 1100~ MHz.
The memory clock only downclocks when I have stuttering tho. Otherwise it keeps its solid 1750MHz.

The temperatures also seems fine. When I play the card never reaches more than 66° and it idles between 38°. The card also reaches 90-100% usage while playing.

Now to what I've tried.

• Flashing old vBIOS and new vBIOS, no changes.
  • Flashing new BIOS onto my motherboard (06/03/2019 -> 11/06/2020)
  • Changing out RAM and testing each stick. One stick kept bluescreening my PC but it seems to be fine now?
  • Using a different stick (1x8 2400MHz by crucial, cl16)
  • Reset the CMOS
  • Release pressure on the CPU as the cooler was on there quite hard
  • Clearing shader cache
  • Changing out PCIe cable (by changing i mean using the second cable on my psu)
  • Reinstalling the AMD driver and installing the beta version (DDU was used to uninstall it)
  • Turning off AMD Freesync (on my monitor and software) and enhanced sync
So yeah I really don't know what do at this point and thought that some of you might have an idea to what else I could try. One thing to add is that I also had issues with my RX 580 but that seemed to be a card issue. I swapped out the Motherboard, PSU and CPU cooler since then.

Edit: Seems like turning off Enhanced Sync made the games listed above VERY playable. There still is slight stutter at higher settings such as High - Hyper in Mirrors Edge Catalyst but thats probably because of VRAM or RAM limitations. If its not please let me know.

Last edited:
Solution
Another question - and it's a bit of a shot in the dark, but, did you first use DDU to completely uninstall your previous drivers before installing the new card and drivers? It's slightly obsessive, but I always do that, even if the new and old video card use the same drivers.

For my son's PC, we don't use Enhanced Sync. We use the FreeSync functionality; in the drivers, we enable Chill, and set a specific minimum and maximum frame rate. Minimum we always just drop it all the way down to 30, since his monitor has an effective minimum refresh rate of 25 (50Hz minimum, combined with Low Framerate Compensation).

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
There are new drivers on AMD website: https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-radeon-rx-5600-series/amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt

I would download the new drivers to the internal storage.
Remove your old ones with DDU.
Restart the PC. (you can unplug the network cable if Windows tried to auto-download a driver by itself)
Install the new drivers.

I already tried reinstalling the drivers but I can retry i guess

Edit: Seems like turning off Enhanced Sync made the games listed above VERY playable. There still is slight stutter at higher settings such as High - Hyper in Mirrors Edge Catalyst but thats probably because of VRAM or RAM limitations. If its not please let me know.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Another question - and it's a bit of a shot in the dark, but, did you first use DDU to completely uninstall your previous drivers before installing the new card and drivers? It's slightly obsessive, but I always do that, even if the new and old video card use the same drivers.

For my son's PC, we don't use Enhanced Sync. We use the FreeSync functionality; in the drivers, we enable Chill, and set a specific minimum and maximum frame rate. Minimum we always just drop it all the way down to 30, since his monitor has an effective minimum refresh rate of 25 (50Hz minimum, combined with Low Framerate Compensation).

Solution

zen_

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
ß

Hey! Yes I did uninstall the old drivers before installing the new card. I'll try using Chill and Freesync only, thanks alot!

Edit: Okay so, I tried out using freesync and the fps cap and the stuttering is gone (thank you for that!). One thing I have noticed tho that it only stopped tearing from the top to the middle. The bottom of the screen still gets tearing. So im starting to think that it might be a monitor / cable issue?

Last edited: