Florian_10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
Hi,
A problem is driving me crazy on my gaming PC.
I get (micro) stuttering all the time on all games and even just in windows when dragging or scrolling I can feel hiccups.
Changing camera direction too quickly or doing some actions like jumping/shooting/opening stuff (anything that has to load) triggers a bigger stutter (could be called a small freeze at that point).

It's making most games really annoying to play and VR games totally unplayable.

I've been trying all the things related to windows updates problems. Disable screen capture/game mode/use hardware tick/update all drivers.
It's not this.

I'm really starting to think it's a hardware problem and probably the CPU. Why? Because I use a 7700k and this turd always was a problem.
Even at 1.35V and below 60°C this mold chip never reached 4.9GHz stable. That's why I'm blaming the CPU even tho it ran almost 3 years without a problem.

I'm on Windows 10 1809
i7 7700k 4.8GHz delided liquid metal moded and watercooled (never go higher than 60°C)
MSI Z270 A PRO motherboard
GTX1080 gainward never go higher than 60 too
OS running on M.2 drive (happens on every drive anyway)
16GB of good low latency ram but I don't remember exactly what

sfc scannow found a corruption but repaired correctly
windows antivirus and malwarebyte found nothing bad

I tried to disable all overclock NOK
Disable Hyperthreading NOK
Fixed frequency NOK

Am I right? Could it be the CPU/motherboard? or maybe ram?
Please help. I'm planning to reformat on week 51 but I had the problem on my previous windows install on another SSD

Florian_10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
It has been a problem for a few months but gained intensity in the last 2 weeks.
Didn't install anything except the chipset drivers and GPU drivers updates to try to fix the problem (no change).
I don't have much time to play and I spend most of it in Monster Hunter World. Since MHW is known to be a terrible port I assumed the stuttering was from the game and dealt with it for 300 hours.

It's only when I started to play other games that I noticed that it was everywhere.

Everything is up to date. Bios too.
I'm using 1809 because a friend told me 1909 is basically a virus at that point.
I don't want to make it worse. I'm thinking about rolling back to a version prior to 1607 creators update.

Thanks for your efforts

Edit: I'll be building a PC for a friend next week. It's a good opportunity to try his ram sticks in my PC or even the graphic card (a RTX2070 very similar to my 1080)
He agreed to this, just have to wait for delivery.

Last edited: