Question Stuttering and FPS drops in most games

Sachin J28

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2015
Since the past 3 days I am getting FPS drops and stuttering in my pc in games such as PUBG, Rainbow 6 Siege and Red Dead Redemption 2. I never used to get any FPS drops in Rainbow 6 Siege before. Last month I had another issue about which I posted here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/low-performance-with-good-pc-all-of-a-sudden.3566433/

I fixed that issue by cleaning my CPU cooler, re-applying the thermal paste and installed 2 new fans in the case but after doing that the CPU idle temps dropped from around 65° C to 54° C and I stopped getting FPS drops in PUBG, CS GO and RDR2. Now during load when I am gaming the CPU temp reaches 75° C and I get constant stuttering and FPS drops in the above mentioned games except CS GO. Is 54° C too high when idle? Am I getting thermal throttling which I don't think is possible at 75° C. Is my PSU causing these issues? Should I replace my AMD Wraith Spire cooler?

My PC specs :
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
  • CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Spire
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000 MHz
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING (BIOS version - F2)
  • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Storage - WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB and WD Blue 3D WDS500G2B0A SSD 1TB
  • PSU - Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 (650W 80+ Bronze)

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Those temps are fine. 54 degrees sound a bit warm for idle, but not such that you should have problems, and 75 degrees under gaming load is fine.

How are you measuring the temps? Ryzen Master software?

Have you checked GPU temperatures?

Have you checked in-game settings in case those have changed / checked Geforce Experience to see if it is auto-optimising your settings (you don't want it to, uncheck the option).

When you get stutter and FPS drops, what are:
  • your CPU frequencies
  • GPU frequencies
  • CPU load (per-core)
  • GPU load?
  • disk usage?

You can check frequencies and loads with something like MSI Afterburner and have it do an on-screen display running over the top of your game. Disk usage you can check with Task Manager / Resource Monitor.

This is what I'd check - is the hardware running slower than it should be and/or is something else using the hardware or causing the hardware not to be used fully by the game.