[SOLVED] Stuttering and Frame drops

May 13, 2020
I would like to thank anyone that can give me some information on what could be going on, my system has a Intel Core I5 - 9400f, MSI B360m Bzaooka Motherboard, 16 gigs of ADATA DDR4 Ram clocked at 2666, and an MSI GTX 1660 TI gaming X, I have had an ongoing problem with performance problems in all of the games that I try to play, it is mainly frame drops and stuttering and I am unsure why it is happening. I upgraded my old monitor to an Acer 144hz G=Sync Display hoping this would correct the issues but they still happen even wth 144hz and G-Sync, I have monitored CPU and GPU usage with the MSI afterburner overlay and the usage and temps are normal, I have also tried to change some options in the nvidia control panel like the texture filtering quality and power management mode but nothing changes with the performance, the Nvidia game overlay is turned off, WIndows game mode and xbox overlay and game DVR are turned off as well, I have also tried with windows game mode on and that does not change anything. as I said the stuttering happens in almost every game that I play and the frame drops are mainly in the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes but still show up in other titles as well. I am going crazy trying to figure out what could be causing this and I greatly appreciate any help.

Solution
What FPS are you getting and can you post a video example of the problem?

You can use ShadowPlay and MSI Afterburner to show FPS and other details onscreen while playing, which might help deduce what's causing it.

Set GPU and CPU usage to show onscreen, as well as their temps, and also FPS and Frametime, including Min FPS. Min FPS is what often causes stuttering if it frequently drops too low.

To set monitoring stats to show onscreen, go to Afterburner settings via the tiny tab that looks like a gear, then go to the Monitoring tab, then highlight each feature you want to show onscreen and check the "Show in On-Screen Display" box while it's highlighted blue.
What FPS are you getting and can you post a video example of the problem?

You can use ShadowPlay and MSI Afterburner to show FPS and other details onscreen while playing, which might help deduce what's causing it.

Set GPU and CPU usage to show onscreen, as well as their temps, and also FPS and Frametime, including Min FPS. Min FPS is what often causes stuttering if it frequently drops too low.

To set monitoring stats to show onscreen, go to Afterburner settings via the tiny tab that looks like a gear, then go to the Monitoring tab, then highlight each feature you want to show onscreen and check the "Show in On-Screen Display" box while it's highlighted blue.

Last edited:
Solution

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
"What FPS are you getting and can you post a video example of the problem?

To set monitoring stats to show onscreen, go to Afterburner settings via the tiny tab that looks like a gear, then go to the Monitoring tab, then highlight each feature you want to show onscreen and check the "Show in On-Screen Display" box while it's highlighted blue"

+1 exactly this. To add. also close as many background apps as you can, even try doing a clean boot.