Question Stuttering and lag

therick04pp

Reputable
Jan 18, 2018
So I recently switched over from an msi gtx 1070 to an msi gtx 1080ti (second hand). Everything was good and the system was stable with no issues. I attempted to do the OC scan in MSIAB just to see what the gpu was capable of (regret this decision) and at step 3, both screens went black and "input not recognized" popped up on both monitors. I could not get them back after a minute or so, so I held the power button and shut it down and booted it back up. No real issues at first. Then I started to notice a micro stutter/lag and everything seems a second or two slower to start? Sometimes the mouse will stutter on screen and then it goes away. There were NO issues like this, before the OC scan issue. I have now tried updated drivers, rolling back the drivers with a fresh install, and my old 1070. Both continue to do this. Even scrolling through through things, it will lag and then be fine after a second or two. For reference, when reviewing the long text from latency monitor. So far I have:

1. Check disk for errors, none
  2. Checked Windows for errors, none
  3. Rolled back any drivers recently updated, no change
  4. Old card old/new driver, no change
  5. 1080ti old/new driver, no change
  6. Reset XMP, no change
  7. Install Nvidia experience/uninstall, no change
  8. All scans show the system has no issues/no errors.
  9. Windows update, no change
I think it is an issue caused by the gpu when I ran MSIAB, so I am posting here. I have run the performance monitor while I am doing things and when the stutter happens, there are no spikes from the GPU/CPU or ram. So I am not sure what to do next. I ran the "Latency monitor" and see ISR=180-250 and DPC=173-400, but it says that I should be able to run without issue.

System is only about 6 weeks old.
MSI z390 gaming carbon pro
i7-9700k
Corsair 3200mhz ram (xmp enabled)

Anything else I should include, let me know. Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help.

therick04pp

Reputable
Jan 18, 2018
If it does the same with the 1070, I'd speculate that your Windows install is hosed.

For sure with both. Thankfully I still had the 1070 to try. I forgot to mention that after the reboot, my Anti virus was turned off and it reset all my statistics to zero.. I have been using it for years, so I could see every scan, every file it removed, everything. Now it says I have only one scan. Very weird.

I have been wanting to do a fresh install of windows anyway, since its an all new system except for gpu, so I guess this is my excuse to do it.. Ill try that and report back.

Thanks.

Last edited:

therick04pp

Reputable
Jan 18, 2018
well if you have not gone in the bios and restored system defaults you are still overclocked at whatever settings you set. The overclocking will not disappear with a reboot.

I know you have to apply the settings once the scanner is complete for them to take effect, I never made it that far, but its worth a look. Thank you for that too, it never even crossed my mind to check in the bios! All I have checked is MSIAB and in there, all my setting are default and idle is 30c, 139 on the core clock so it's idling down when not in use, like it should (I think). Now im reading that a sudden spike in the clock when I start using it could cause the issue... I did go into the bios and enable/disable xmp and gameboost (just in case) and saw no difference but didnt see an area for gpu oc?

I am planning on flashing the bios to the latest, before I do the clean install on a fresh 970 evo plus nvme. I have another 970 im going to use as storage, so that should be optimal for storage and OS.

EDIT

I decided to see if the gpu could handle Warthunder on "movie" settings at 120 FPS. There were no issue whatsoever while playing. Frames never dropped more than 5 fps and the GPU got to about 55c while clocks stayed right on target. Seems the issue is only happening when the gpu downclocks under the base or around idle.... which I find very interesting.

Last edited:

therick04pp

Reputable
Jan 18, 2018
Recap and update..

Recap. System slowdown and hanging.
entire PC build is 7 weeks old besides GPU and the issue persists between a gtx 1070 and 1080ti (so may not be the issue)
  • i7 9700k, oc'd @ 4.7 using windows power (high perf.)
  • MSI MPG z390 gaming pro carbon mobo
  • 32 gb Corsair rgb pro 3200mhz ram
  • 970 evo plus m.2 (OS), 970 evo m.2 storage, 860 evo SSD 1tb storage.
  • Fresh windows 10, current build.
After the incident in the first post, Windows hangs, things are taking some time to open, spinning wheel, etc. Prior to the incident, I clicked, it was open. It was working super fast. Never saw a spinning wheel or the cog icon when opening anything at all. I purchased a new 970 evo plus and did a fresh, new install of Windows to it. Set it up and got her running without any issues. Cleaned the old 970 evo to use as storage. Nothing installed except what was installed during the win 10 (internet explorer and recycle bin) and the issue persists.. At this point, I have no idea what to do.

For context, I have another PC (my old build) I was getting ready to sell, so it was also wiped and the same ISO that was used for the above (new) install, was used for this re-install on the old build. That system has:
  • i5 6600k oc'd @ 3.9 via windows power (high perf.)
  • MSi z170 gaming m5
  • 32 gb crucial ddr4 3200mhz
  • 860 evo 250 SSD (OS)
  • Fresh windows 10, current build
The old system is lightening fast. I click it, it's open, no waiting, no lagging, nothing. It beats out the i7 build, hands down. It has me perplexed. All tests and benchmarks show it is faster and everything is performing excellent and better than the old build, but actual use and user experience is saying something completely different. There hasnt been much chatter here in this post, but thanks to the few who commented. I think I am just venting here in hopes that eventually someone will come up with something that may work.