Question Stuttering and occasional flickering during games

Aug 16, 2024
Hi, I'm new to the site, but have used solutions from here for a long time. You guys have helped me alot and am hoping you can help again.

I have a PC that I play all sorts of games on and haven't had any issues with for 2 years. For 2 months now, I get stutters in games whenever there's alot of activity going on and its way worse in online games. A new symptom recently popped up after 2 months of this issue, where my monitor will go black for a second, then come back on and "display port 2" notification from the monitor appears. This issue seems to mostly happen when playing on 240 hz on a 240 hz monitor, but also tested with an hdmi at 144hz and it still happens, just not as badly. It happens in almost all games, no matter how intensive. For some reason, the issue is at its worst on league of legends (I've tested different mouses and controllers on games too)

I have tried using ethernet, and bought an Asus wifi chip to test the internet. I have also tried going to parents house and have the same issue. No ping drops, frame drops, or latency drops. I took my PC to a repair shop here and they coudn't recreate the issue (because they wouldn't play any games and they don't have a 240hz monitor). But they did run the heavy 3D mark benchmark and said everything was running smoothly. They tested all RAM stick individually and they were fine. They reinstalled all drivers and and searched for malware, and other normal health checks. All came back fine. I DID however, have too much thermal paste on my CPU which lead to my computer running a little hot, but they fixed that. Have tested using different display ports, HDMI ports, and display port cables.

This is the first time my issue isn't obvious to me and I'm at a bit of a loss. Since the black screen thing started happening I'm beginning to suspect power supply, but I feel the benchmark would've caused failure if it were power supply.

My specs are below:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ASUS PRIME X570-P
32 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
2TB HDD, 1 TB SSD
1000W Gold Standard Power Supply

I've been incredibly frustrated trying to troubleshoot myself and my knowledge just doesn't run very deep. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1000W is the advertised wattage of the unit while Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit, what is the make and model of the unit and it's age?

ASUS PRIME X570-P
BIOS version for your motherboard?

Did you try using DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstalling with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command?

Reactions: fallacyg
Aug 16, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1000W is the advertised wattage of the unit while Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit, what is the make and model of the unit and it's age?

ASUS PRIME X570-P
BIOS version for your motherboard?

Did you try using DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstalling with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command?
Hi, thank you for you reply. I can't open the case at the moment to check the PSU brand, but will tomorrow morning.

The bios version/date says AMI 5013, 3/22/2024 and SMBIOS is 3.3.

Edit: The repair shop updated the bios when I took it in.

I have never used DDU to remove drivers before. I have read that here before, but never messed with it. When I took it into the repair shop, I assumed they removed and manually reinstalled all drivers, but I definitely can do that.