Question Stuttering because low gpu usage (gpu drops)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 8, 2019
Hello,

I have experienced random stuttering in Apex Legends, Cod ww2 and in Blackops 4, because my gpu usage drops while gaming. Stuttering can happen every 10 seconds or then once in a minute or then they dont even occur. I have monitored it with msi afterburner. Cpu usage is not even close to 100% and none of the threads dont sit at 100% but they can spike very fast to 100% while cpu usage still sits for example at 20%. I play those games everything maxed 1080p. Here is few photos of my msiafterburner:

r2ym5ch0twq21.jpg

cf3isduvswq21.jpg

uf3fkb7qdwq21.jpg

My computer is Acer Aspire gx 281 and my current specs:
  • Gpu GTX 1070 8GB
  • CPU Ryzen 1700x
  • Games installed on HDD tried also SDD.
  • PSU liteon model Ps-7501-5 (500w, 80 plus bronze)
  • motherboard is b350 but dont know the manufacturer
  • Ram 8GB x 2 and 2400 Mhz
  • Internet 4g 150mb/s (usually between 5-100 mb/s)
What I have tried and checked:
  • closed all unnecessary programs and apps.
  • disabled windows game mode
  • trying different powermodes on windows
  • tested in latencymon everything ok
  • set priority high
  • checked that no memory leaks
  • underclocked to 3ghz, overlocked to 3.9 ghz, almost no difference
  • Temps on CPU and GPU are ok (cpu less than 60C and gpu sits normally at 82C)
  • lowering graphics in game may have positive impact, but it dont fix every stutters
Any helps or tips are welcome! I think for myself, that the problem may be PSU but i dont know.

Last edited:
All you needed to do in the first place was pick a 2 min or so segment to upload that actually shows these freezes. Also, freezes can happen intermittently in MP play, and it often has nothing to do with the game, system spec, or Windows. Once you add the factor of mp play and servers, nothing of this type is certain as to the cause or so called fix.

I'll do a bit of searching on whether this is a common problem with Apex Legends, but I'm having my doubts. Keep in mind this is a very popular free to play game with over 25 million playing it. It's entirely possible some are experiencing freezes and stutter due to overloaded servers. It very well could be worse in countries far from the main servers. What country are you in btw?

[edited]
After a little searching I found some on the EA forum say MBs with Killer LAN can cause such problems. Apparently disabling it's Advance Stream Detect feature fixes it. You need to do more checking on what MB you have. You can also just close Killer Control Center. I do know both MSI and Gigabyte use Killer LAN on many of their MBs, including socket AM4 B350 models. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Apex-Legends-Random-Freezing/td-p/7455417

I'l do more checking when I have time, dinner calls.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
All you needed to do in the first place was pick a 2 min or so segment to upload that actually shows these freezes. Also, freezes can happen intermittently in MP play, and it often has nothing to do with the game, system spec, or Windows. Once you add the factor of mp play and servers, nothing of this type is certain as to the cause or so called fix.

I'll do a bit of searching on whether this is a common problem with Apex Legends, but I'm having my doubts. Keep in mind this is a very popular free to play game with over 25 million playing it. It's entirely possible some are experiencing freezes and stutter due to overloaded servers. It very well could be worse in countries far from the main servers. What country are you in btw?

[edited]
After a little searching I found some on the EA forum say MBs with Killer LAN can cause such problems. Apparently disabling it's Advance Stream Detect feature fixes it. You need to do more checking on what MB you have. You can also just close Killer Control Center. I do know both MSI and Gigabyte use Killer LAN on many of their MBs, including socket AM4 B350 models. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Apex-Legends-Random-Freezing/td-p/7455417

I'l do more checking when I have time, dinner calls.
Thanks for helping. What you have found is different problem. I live in Finland. In Deutchland is nearest server (Stuttgart). I am now with new MB, Asus Prime B350 m-a (changed 3 days ago) and new 550 w psu. I will play now without ISLC, hope we have a bad performance XD.
E: played one hour without ISLC, only one microstutter. (internet speeds: 100 mbs download and 16 mbs upload. https://plays.tv/video/5cbd7e828d8a30337b/lag-
It depends but usually when i have bad performing in Apex, there is about 5-10 microstutters in 1-2 hrs (same kind as in that video).

Last edited:
Not sure where you're seeing stutter in that video either.

ASUS uses mostly Intel or Realtek LAN. Mine's Intel, yours is Realtek.

If the ASUS MB is smoother, it could be your previous one had Killer LAN. It's not the hardware that causes the problem with Killer LAN though, it's just a software feature that can be disabled.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
Not sure where you're seeing stutter in that video either.

ASUS uses mostly Intel or Realtek LAN. Mine's Intel, yours is Realtek.

If the ASUS MB is smoother, it could be your previous one had Killer LAN. It's not the hardware that causes the problem with Killer LAN though, it's just a software feature that can be disabled.
It´s hard to see in video which is only 60 fps and very bad quality, that´s why there is frametime and GPU usage graphs. I checked that my previous mobo didnt have either killer LAN. Here is another video https://plays.tv/video/5cbef1fdeabc633f22/stutter
All those stutters (or whatever lags they are) are gone when ISLC is on. No gpu usage drops, no frametimespikes.

Last edited:
I saw one brief hitch at the 5-6 sec mark, but again, this is all mp play. A lot of mp games have problems you don't see in sp ones, and it's not always the game itself, or the OS or user hardware.

Anyways, I'm not even sure why you're still talking about ISLC when you just implied previously the ASUS MB seemed to have fixed the problem.

Apr 8, 2019
I saw one brief hitch at the 5-6 sec mark, but again, this is all mp play. A lot of mp games have problems you don't see in sp ones, and it's not always the game itself, or the OS or user hardware.

Anyways, I'm not even sure why you're still talking about ISLC when you just implied previously the ASUS MB seemed to have fixed the problem.
No, Asus MB didnt fix the problem. 3000 MHz Ram didn't affect to problem. Overclocking to 3.9 ghz and ram 3000 MHz, no affect. Only one which eliminate the problem was that software, ISLC.