Question Stuttering caused by high CPU temperature ?

Jun 3, 2019
Hello all

I am facing a stuttering problem in my game (mostly i play BFv) So I checked temperature from HWmonitor and saw that maximum temp would reach 90 C for my cpu, I also ran Unigine valley benchmark and I get the same temperature after starting the test.
So can that high temperature cause stuttering ? and is that temperature something to be concerned about, I have ryzen 5 2600x with stock cooler. Below is my full specs

Motherboard : MSI B450 Toahawk
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Graphics card is GeForcce RTX-2070
16 GB DDR4 Memory corsair vengeance 3000 MHz
Windows 10
Monitor : Asus VG278Q 144 Hz

Note : When I built my PC (First PC ever) I found difficulties installing the stock cooler so I had removed it at least once after placing it on the CPU I dont know if that is related.

Jun 3, 2019
90 is pretty high tho... Download hwinfo64 and it should say if it throttles (it will indicate red on temperature read out)
I didnt see any red indicator here is screenshot
809889273730772e3eca6e6807f73dd065b54eb5253ce0a3d34c524249eeeb9b4753fd50.jpg

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
You should check the temps with Ryzen master, since other programs can give false temps with Ryzen.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think you are watching wrong temps from HWinfo. Scroll a bit up and check the temps from the CPU "tab".

Jun 3, 2019
You should check the temps with Ryzen master, since other programs can give false temps with Ryzen.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think you are watching wrong temps from HWinfo. Scroll a bit up and check the temps from the CPU "tab".

i downloaded Ryzen master, getting the same temperature, I notice the EDC is flashing orange as well is that bad ?

89479907103835dc267551ddbef750ffdb48c45b1b188689c1b02ad8eac7f1928d20a2d3.jpg

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
You don't need to worry about the EDC, thats normal. You probably should reapply thermal paste and place the cooler again like you suggested before. Obviously you have to remove the old thermal paste first.

It also could be bad airflow, but if your GPU temps are normal then I highly doubt it. What case do you have and how many intake and exhaust fans do you have?

Jun 3, 2019
You don't need to worry about the EDC, thats normal. You probably should reapply thermal paste and place the cooler again like you suggested before. Obviously you have to remove the old thermal paste first.

It also could be bad airflow, but if your GPU temps are normal then I highly doubt it. What case do you have and how many intake and exhaust fans do you have?
I have cooler master K500 with in box fans 2 front intake and one rear exhaust.
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/masterbox-k500/

I have noticed that my case is getting hot to touch as well after playing.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Yes 90 is certainly a high temperature for your CPU.
Try running it with the side of the case off that reveals the CPU and GPU etc for an hour to see what temperature it's running at.
It should be cooler all round and if it makes a big difference then it might be a CPU cooler issue/thermal paste reapying or just needs some extra ventilation with a case fan.

With Battlefield V the program Empty Standdy List Cleaner eliminated most ofthe stutters for me.
Many others have reported it helping them too even with high end hardware.
Also ingame using DX11 and having Future Frame Rendering helps a lot too.

Battlefield V is exceptionally poorly optimised in its current state so it's hard to get decent performance on many people's rigs.
Check out the PC section in the Battlefield V forums to see allthe issues people are having performance wise.

I like the game and am enjoying it a lot more now that it's smoother so I hope this helps you out.

Andy

Jun 3, 2019
Yes 90 is certainly a high temperature for your CPU.
Try running it with the side of the case off that reveals the CPU and GPU etc for an hour to see what temperature it's running at.
It should be cooler all round and if it makes a big difference then it might be a CPU cooler issue/thermal paste reapying or just needs some extra ventilation with a case fan.

With Battlefield V the program Empty Standdy List Cleaner eliminated most ofthe stutters for me.
Many others have reported it helping them too even with high end hardware.
Also ingame using DX11 and having Future Frame Rendering helps a lot too.

Battlefield V is exceptionally poorly optimised in its current state so it's hard to get decent performance on many people's rigs.
Check out the PC section in the Battlefield V forums to see allthe issues people are having performance wise.

I like the game and am enjoying it a lot more now that it's smoother so I hope this helps you out.

Andy

I did remove the front panel and played for 30 minutes now, maximum temperature is reduced to 82 C
Capture.png

Jun 3, 2019
From what I have heard, most people are not happy with the stock cooler and go to liquid or aftermarket Air. A scythe mugen 5 rev b would be a good one to consider (Rev b=AM4 bracket) https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0004-00075

The cooler which was avaialble in local store is DeepCool Gammaxx 400 I got that installed and the temperature is down to ~70 C when playing thats an improvement.

Capture.png

I want also to share this picture which shows the thermal paste before cleaning it from CPU, that doesnt seem right?

Image-1.jpg

So temperature is down but did that help stuttering ? No, but kinda reduced I would stay but it is still there.
Should I continue in this thread or open new new one and mark this as answered?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, it's not right. There's spots where the paste made lousy contact with the IHS, it's still stuck entirely to the bottom of the cooler. It almost looks like they put the paste on in rings there's so much build up in an almost perfect circle. And far too much was used, totally wasted. Really bad paste job from the start. Seriously hope you fully cleaned up that mess before mounting the new cooler.

Yeah, the Gammax 400 is respectable.

Depends on you. If you feel like the answer was applicable and worked, sure, choose. If it's a good answer but didn't completely fix the issue, keep the thread open, starting a new thread will just get you most of the same answers as some ppl have already offered. Unless you ask the question, but state all that's applicable that's been tried. But mostly, the mods would look at it as a duplicate thread.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Hi,

Yes higher temperatures can cause stuttering, it is largely known as hardware thermal throttling.

From that photo with the thermal paste, I highly recommend you add a new layer, and remove any dust as this can prevent air ciruculation.

Here are some more factors that could result in your system stuttering:
Make sure you have no malware on the system. I recommened malwarebytes, its a free antimalware program.
Ensure that your processor cores are not parked.
Check that all of your fans are running at a sufficent RPM, not overkill, nor too slow. This can be done many ways via BIOS or OC programs.
Furthermore, please ensure that your system is not overclocking in any way. Double check the speed values and other attributes in the BIOS settings.

Jun 3, 2019
No, it's not right. There's spots where the paste made lousy contact with the IHS, it's still stuck entirely to the bottom of the cooler. It almost looks like they put the paste on in rings there's so much build up in an almost perfect circle. And far too much was used, totally wasted. Really bad paste job from the start. Seriously hope you fully cleaned up that mess before mounting the new cooler.

Yeah, the Gammax 400 is respectable.

Depends on you. If you feel like the answer was applicable and worked, sure, choose. If it's a good answer but didn't completely fix the issue, keep the thread open, starting a new thread will just get you most of the same answers as some ppl have already offered. Unless you ask the question, but state all that's applicable that's been tried. But mostly, the mods would look at it as a duplicate thread.

I have used alcohol from hardware store to remove all the thermal paste. I just need to know if the issue is the game itself and not my PC, I ran 3dMark Time spy bench mark and it was disappointing to see less than 60 FPS in all scenes (some of them were 60 - 70 not above that) even tho I fell with my graphics card I should get above that. the below is for results

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36797260?

Jun 3, 2019
Hi,

Yes higher temperatures can cause stuttering, it is largely known as hardware thermal throttling.

From that photo with the thermal paste, I highly recommend you add a new layer, and remove any dust as this can prevent air ciruculation.

Here are some more factors that could result in your system stuttering:
Make sure you have no malware on the system. I recommened malwarebytes, its a free antimalware program.
Ensure that your processor cores are not parked.
Check that all of your fans are running at a sufficent RPM, not overkill, nor too slow. This can be done many ways via BIOS or OC programs.
Furthermore, please ensure that your system is not overclocking in any way. Double check the speed values and other attributes in the BIOS settings.

Already i have new thermal paste placed and cleaned it with alcohol.
my system is new I actually formatted it last week just to test if that would help the stuttering. and I have already Avira antivirus installed.

As far as i know i never did any OC on the system since I built it.

I quote my above reply regarding the 3dMark benchmark .

I have used alcohol from hardware store to remove all the thermal paste. I just need to know if the issue is the game itself and not my PC, I ran 3dMark Time spy bench mark and it was disappointing to see less than 60 FPS in all scenes (some of them were 60 - 70 not above that) even tho I fell with my graphics card I should get above that. the below is for results

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36797260?

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
I ran the 3dMaark Fire strike bench mark got the following result
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36797501?

is my graphics card not related to the issue?

I didnt notice any stuttering when running the test, so could that mean the game itself might be the problem.
May I ask what game you recieved stuttering in? When running that game what was your temperatures.
Also I would try and run other games with similar graphical needs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps limits are set by the cpu according to the graphics code from the game or program. Your storage sends the data to ram, then cpu. Cpu takes that data and pre-renders the frame. It can only pre-render so many frames a second. I'll say 100. The cpu sends that 100 pre-rendered frames to the gpu, which finishes the render and sticks the frames onscreen according to detail settings and resolution. So the gpu gets 100 frames, and being a 2070 is strong enough to put all 100 onscreen at 1080p ultra. Plus some room to spare. If the resolution was 1440p, that's 1.7x as many pixels as 1080p, so you may or may not see the full 100 frames given. 4k is hard on a gpu, so fps might drop to 60, even though the cpu gave the gpu 100.

If the cpu can only pre-render 60 frames, that's the best you can get. You could have an RTX2080ti or an rtx2070, wouldn't matter, you'll get 60. The gpu cannot increase the amount of frames it gets from the cpu, only decrease output.

If the gpu was a gtx750, at ultra 1080p you'd see 50fps, not the full 100. Lower the detail settings to very-low, and you'd maybe get the full 100. Your rtx2070 is strong enough it's not a bottleneck to fps output on 1080p, but if there's a cpu issue, you'll see the results as fps bounces.

It could be driver related, software related conflicts, thermal downclocking, anything. But seriously doubtful it's a gpu hardware issue.

Jun 3, 2019
May I ask what game you recieved stuttering in? When running that game what was your temperatures.
Also I would try and run other games with similar graphical needs.

I get issues with Battlefield V, I have no issues with single player (I get stutter into cut scenes but thats it) but load of stutter on multiplayer, thats what i tested today. now i dont have temperature issue as it is around 70 when gaming after I changed the thermal paste and cpu cooler.

Jun 3, 2019
Fps limits are set by the cpu according to the graphics code from the game or program. Your storage sends the data to ram, then cpu. Cpu takes that data and pre-renders the frame. It can only pre-render so many frames a second. I'll say 100. The cpu sends that 100 pre-rendered frames to the gpu, which finishes the render and sticks the frames onscreen according to detail settings and resolution. So the gpu gets 100 frames, and being a 2070 is strong enough to put all 100 onscreen at 1080p ultra. Plus some room to spare. If the resolution was 1440p, that's 1.7x as many pixels as 1080p, so you may or may not see the full 100 frames given. 4k is hard on a gpu, so fps might drop to 60, even though the cpu gave the gpu 100.

If the cpu can only pre-render 60 frames, that's the best you can get. You could have an RTX2080ti or an rtx2070, wouldn't matter, you'll get 60. The gpu cannot increase the amount of frames it gets from the cpu, only decrease output.

If the gpu was a gtx750, at ultra 1080p you'd see 50fps, not the full 100. Lower the detail settings to very-low, and you'd maybe get the full 100. Your rtx2070 is strong enough it's not a bottleneck to fps output on 1080p, but if there's a cpu issue, you'll see the results as fps bounces.

It could be driver related, software related conflicts, thermal downclocking, anything. But seriously doubtful it's a gpu hardware issue.

So is there anyway to test my CPU performance ? I think on my first 3dMark benchmark I got less FPS because it was ruining on DirectX12 while the second benchmark was runing on DX11 and got average of 90 FPS on graphics test. but ~30-40 FPS on combined test.