[SOLVED] Stuttering caused by possible corruption after power-off during windows update

bummer6

Prominent
Oct 9, 2019
Hi. Recently I accidentally powered off my computer during windows update due to not having any video output at the time, thus not seeing that it was updating. After this incident I kept getting BSoD until I booted in safe mode, followed by a regular reboot. Now I can get into windows fine, but whenever I do anything that strains the system even a little bit (opening a new tab, starting a youtube video, rotating a 3D model in Maya, etc) the system stutters, and any audio that's playing also does this weird robotic stuttering whenever it happens.

I suspect something may have become corrupted and I don't know how to fix it. Here are some things I have already tried which had no effect:

chkdsk command found no problems
sfc /scannow found no problems
Creating windows install media on a USB drive and performing a repair install of windows (keeping all apps, files, etc intact) didn't seem to do anything

Performing a complete reformat is only to be considered as an absolute last resort since I have a lot of files on this system that are important and a ton of software that would need reinstalling if I had to reformat, costing a ton of time, not to mention that I don't have any spare HDDs or SSDs laying around.

Solution
D
i know you don't like it but that is my answer to your issues. you have already tried a repair install or reset to no affect. next step is to back up your data and delete all partition on the boot drive and have windows installer install clean.

my advice is only install the software you really use daily or is critical. add more stuff later when needed. you probably don't need even half of what you have installed I would bet.
D

Deleted member 14196

i would say you are down to your last option. format/reinstall

too bad you didn't back up all those important files. get an external drive and transfer all data you care about and then clean install

bummer6

Prominent
Oct 9, 2019
i would say you are down to your last option. format/reinstall

too bad you didn't back up all those important files. get an external drive and transfer all data you care about and then clean install
Problem is, it wouldn't matter if I backed them up. The main issue is all the software I'll have to reinstall, and unless I continuously keep a spare SSD up to date with any new software I get, I'd still be in the same situation I am now.

D

Deleted member 14196

i know you don't like it but that is my answer to your issues. you have already tried a repair install or reset to no affect. next step is to back up your data and delete all partition on the boot drive and have windows installer install clean.

my advice is only install the software you really use daily or is critical. add more stuff later when needed. you probably don't need even half of what you have installed I would bet.

Solution

bummer6

Prominent
Oct 9, 2019

After some testing I believe it may be a hardware problem. The reason I had no video output when I accidentally restarted mid-update was because my GPU had come loose during transit, and now after having been poking around inside the computer a while and having it on it's side, it works with no stuttering. I just have to figure out if it's the motherboard or the GPU that's not making a solid connection or whatever. It's odd that it results in stuttering under load though... It's a very strange issue.

TRENDING THREADS