Question Stuttering & Fps Drops

May 17, 2020
I've recently built my second PC and im having really bad performance and stuttering/fps drops in games and windows. I have been trying to fix it for the past few days and ive tried so many things that i cant even remember all the things that I have tried. here are a few.

View: https://youtu.be/ZvlofiPpde4
First Stutter 1:17 second major stutter 1:28

Disabling AMD Cool & Quite
Reinstalling GPU Drivers
Updating to latest bios which is the F51 for Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Monitoring my temps and usage during gameplay (temps seem perfect but not to sure about the CPU and GPU usage)
Installing AMD Chipset from the AMD website.
Using XMP Profile to run my RAM at 3200mhz
Installing windows onto an ssd.
Disabling Game DVR
Disabling Windows Security
Running my games offline

And literally nothing has worked its starting to get frustrating.

Specs:
Ryzen 2600. (using stock cooler)
GTX 1070 SC EVGA
Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16GB
B450 Aorus Elite
750 EVGA GQ 80+ Gold Semi Modular

And my previous system had the same problems and i was also using a ryzen 2600 so im starting to think either im not installing something that i should be or i need to upgrade to an I7 because i mainly game.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020
Which drive is the game on? If it's on the spinning drive that's probably your problem. It's not fast enough to load the new info and you get the burp.

Just finished installing AC Unity on my SSD and recorded it for you and the same things happening. What i have noticed that i didn't notice on my first clip is that the GPU Usage drops when the stutter happens . Does that necessarily mean that the GPU is bad or could it be multiple reasons?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZuVFO5hkdM
First stutter 0:54 Second Major Stutter 1:14

4745454b

Titan
I saw that it dropped to a 2% load. But if it's failing to get data from the CPU that will happen. I didn't see a drop in CPU but I'm not sure why. I'm not sure it's temp related as I would think it would happen for more than a second. Temps also show as good.

I noticed in the video all looked good until you turned Vsync off? Does it happen with it on? Can you try changing the render path? I'm not sure what AC uses. Perhaps try DX11, vulkan, etc.

Reactions: BrodieP
let me know if you need more gameplay. It stutters on games like minecraft and witcher 3 but not as drastic, it'll go from a locked 60 and drop to 58 with a noticable stutter.
Well you obviously need moar coarzzzz for minecraft.

Serius answer, get Battle Encoder Shirase and limit the games by 1 or 2 % of what they would normally use(press target,choose game,drag the bar at the bottom to -1 or -2) and they should be fine,some games are just incredibly badly coded for windows.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Was that a clean install of Windows onto the SSD?
To me it looks like it could be a driver conflict. But a clean install should take care of that.
I hope you didn't copy over stuff from old install like My Documents, Appdata etc. And no .ini-files.
Gamesaves should be fine, when it comes to copying those over.

It could be anything between heaven and hell.
Whats the power plan? Is it on performance so CPU doesn't try to underclock?
AMD includes a power plan with chipset drivers. I ignore it, I run High Perf. (Control Panel-> Power Options)
Is the GPU in performance mode in Nvidia control panel?

Is all the hardware in the correct slots? GPU nearest to CPU-slot? RAM in the correct slots according to motherboard manual? Cooler and paste correctly done?

May 17, 2020
I saw that it dropped to a 2% load. But if it's failing to get data from the CPU that will happen. I didn't see a drop in CPU but I'm not sure why. I'm not sure it's temp related as I would think it would happen for more than a second. Temps also show as good.

I noticed in the video all looked good until you turned Vsync off? Does it happen with it on? Can you try changing the render path? I'm not sure what AC uses. Perhaps try DX11, vulkan, etc.

Yeah it does the exact same thing with it on and off. No it doesnt let me change the render path i think it just defaults to dx11.

May 17, 2020
Well you obviously need moar coarzzzz for minecraft.

Serius answer, get Battle Encoder Shirase and limit the games by 1 or 2 % of what they would normally use(press target,choose game,drag the bar at the bottom to -1 or -2) and they should be fine,some games are just incredibly badly coded for windows.

Hi, i just tried the BES thing and limited it to 1 and 2 percent on the game and its still giving me the massive FPS drops.

May 17, 2020
Was that a clean install of Windows onto the SSD?
To me it looks like it could be a driver conflict. But a clean install should take care of that.
I hope you didn't copy over stuff from old install like My Documents, Appdata etc. And no .ini-files.
Gamesaves should be fine, when it comes to copying those over.

It could be anything between heaven and hell.
Whats the power plan? Is it on performance so CPU doesn't try to underclock?
AMD includes a power plan with chipset drivers. I ignore it, I run High Perf. (Control Panel-> Power Options)
Is the GPU in performance mode in nvidia control panel?

Is all the hardware in the correct slots? GPU nearest to CPU-slot? RAM in the correct slots according to motherboard manual? Cooler and paste correctly done?

Yeah it was a fully clean install onto the SSD i made sure to try to format before putting it on there but because its new it wouldn't let me. Yeah it could be a driver conflict, the thing is i only install the AMD Chipset Drivers & NVIDIA Driver for my GPU, but windows automatically install them so it could be one of the auto installed ones, if thats the case i wouldn't even know where to start with troubleshooting that. I didnt copy over anything that i know of, the one thing i didn't do was format my HDD but thats only because its got 1TB worth of stuff on there :D

No the GPU is on default i haven't changed anything in the NVIDIA control panel (ill test high performance now)

Yep ive removed the ram and put that back in same with the GPU and yeah RAM is in dual channel GPU is nearest to the CPU .

CPU is on Ryzen Balanced in my power plan (ill switch it to high performance now and test it)

Do you want me to reinstall windows again? And if so what drivers are essential for me to download straight away, the only ones i download is the AMD chipset and GPU drivers and the auto windows driver updates, but is there anything else that you would recommend that im missing?

And if all else fails do you think a computer repair shop would be able to find out the problem?
Because all this unplayable stutter is just ruining my experience playing games, and especially when future games come out its gonna stutter like crazy.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Yeah it was a fully clean install onto the SSD i made sure to try to format before putting it on there but because its new it wouldn't let me. Yeah it could be a driver conflict, the thing is i only install the AMD Chipset Drivers & NVIDIA Driver for my GPU, but windows automatically install them so it could be one of the auto installed ones, if thats the case i wouldn't even know where to start with troubleshooting that. I didnt copy over anything that i know of, the one thing i didn't do was format my HDD but thats only because its got 1TB worth of stuff on there :D

No the GPU is on default i haven't changed anything in the NVIDIA control panel (ill test high performance now)

Yep ive removed the ram and put that back in same with the GPU and yeah RAM is in dual channel GPU is nearest to the CPU .

CPU is on Ryzen Balanced in my power plan (ill switch it to high performance now and test it)

Do you want me to reinstall windows again? And if so what drivers are essential for me to download straight away, the only ones i download is the AMD chipset and GPU drivers and the auto windows driver updates, but is there anything else that you would recommend that im missing?

And if all else fails do you think a computer repair shop would be able to find out the problem?
Because all this unplayable stutter is just ruining my experience playing games, and especially when future games come out its gonna stutter like crazy.
I've never sent my whole PC to a computershop, I have no idea. I fix my own problems. They might fix it, they might not.
There's horror stories of them replacing parts on a whim then charging the customer for them. Sometimes up to a 1000 dollars. This is in Sweden.
Only time I bring anything back to a PC shop is when I have diagnosed and ruled out any other hardware to be the cause. So I know 100% that that part is the issue. It goes on warranty. I give them the part, they replace it.

Try DDU, display driver uninstaller. That should remove all the files related to GPU drivers. Unplug network cable so Windows doesn't automatically install anything. Clean install of GPU drivers after that.

I can't remember if you installed the games on SSD. Could be the harddrive is very fragmented, that could cause an issue. Defrag, as far as I know, is perfectly safe. Never read anyone having problems with it. I've run it tons of times. But defrag only applies to HDD. SSDs have their own internal defrag-kinda cleaning up. So don't defrag SSDs, ever.

May 17, 2020
I've never sent my whole PC to a computershop, I have no idea. I fix my own problems. They might fix it, they might not.
There's horror stories of them replacing parts on a whim then charging the customer for them. Sometimes up to a 1000 dollars. This is in Sweden.
Only time I bring anything back to a PC shop is when I have diagnosed and ruled out any other hardware to be the cause. So I know 100% that that part is the issue. It goes on warranty. I give them the part, they replace it.

Try DDU, display driver uninstaller. That should remove all the files related to GPU drivers. Unplug network cable so Windows doesn't automatically install anything. Clean install of GPU drivers after that.

I can't remember if you installed the games on SSD. Could be the harddrive is very fragmented, that could cause an issue. Defrag, as far as I know, is perfectly safe. Never read anyone having problems with it. I've run it tons of times. But defrag only applies to HDD. SSDs have their own internal defrag-kinda cleaning up. So don't defrag SSDs, ever.
Ok thanks ill try them both now
The only reason why i mention a PC shop is because ive tried for 3 days to diagnose the problem ive read pretty much every forum relating to stuttering and fps drops that i can find and literally nothings working and theres not much more i can find or think of thats gonna fix the problem.
My main suspect is the GPU because that was the only part i bought that was used it was £250. Apart from that dont know what it could be so my last hope is pretty much a PC shop or sending back the GPU and buying a new 1660 super so i have warranty do you think thats a good idea?

Ok thanks ill try them both now
The only reason why i mention a PC shop
A PC shop is not going to be able to find a problem,stuttering is not a fixable fault for them,they will happily sell you hardware if you want to but it's a gamble if that will help you.

There are a bunch of games that have random stutter for a lot of people,every assassins creed game is among them as well as every farcry game and both watchdogs,I don't know if you already picked up on it but ubisoft titles in general...but not only, batman arkham knight,GTA V and red dead 2,CS:GO for a lot of people, r6 siege the list goes on and on.

A lot of games are just terribad and will stutter randomly without reason.

May 17, 2020
A PC shop is not going to be able to find a problem,stuttering is not a fixable fault for them,they will happily sell you hardware if you want to but it's a gamble if that will help you.

There are a bunch of games that have random stutter for a lot of people,every assassins creed game is among them as well as every farcry game and both watchdogs,I don't know if you already picked up on it but ubisoft titles in general...but not only, batman arkham knight,GTA V and red dead 2,CS:GO for a lot of people, r6 siege the list goes on and on.

A lot of games are just terribad and will stutter randomly without reason.
I understand that but it happens in every game i play. I can load up every single game i have 1 after another and i will have stutter and fps drops for no reason. Thats definitely not normal, and if your saying its down to the games optimisation how come i can look up a benchmark from somebody that has the exact same specs as me and the same game version and theres doesn't stutter one bit, that proves its not down to optimisation. You can go look up an AC Unity benchmark with a GTX 1070 and a ryzen 5 2600 and i put money on it that they dont have the performance issues i have. I've watched multiple benchmark videos with my specs for multiple games that i stutter on but it doesn't happen to them.

If you were getting stutters like that where the gpu usage tanks and your frames drop to 20 you would be saying the exact same stuff.

May 17, 2020
Can you borrow a friends GPU? To rule that out.
I have never bought anything to a PC second-hand, I just don't trust people to not sell me something they've overclocked, degraded it or damaged some components on it.
Unfortunately i dont, most of my friends play ps4. The thing is i bought it from a PC store locally that was selling it as used because it was customer returned, they said they tested it and it was working perfectly but obviously i cant just trust it just because they said. It has a 1 year warranty so i might have to just return it and buy a new card. But then if i replace it and then it turns out that the problem still persists then its gonna take ages to start troubleshooting again. Ive reinstalled windows about 10 times trying to fix the issue lmao. Its starting to get boring. But i do have to mention i just started playing my Modded gta 5 save that i used to play on my gtx 1060 with no problems and ive been playing for a good hour and have not seen 1 stutter even though i have very demanding mods like redux, natural vision, and a load of custom installed cars. But then if i go on minecraft ill start stuttering. Its actually a joke how inconsistent it is.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
If memory serves me right, GTA V is more CPU dependant. But isn't Minecraft too, especially the Java-version?
The question is how long the shop tested the card still. Maybe they just put it in a testbench, launched a game, played it for 5 mins and called it good?

Sounds like it isn't the Windows install then =). Hardware issues are like that, persist through software changes. Even if it is the OS.

My brother has some Ryzen 2000-series (2600 or 2700) CPU with an Nvidia 2080, no stutters so I doubt it's that.

Have you done the basics, like checking cables, pulling them out and inserting them all the way in again? Both power and data, like the SATA-cables. Memory installed in the correct slots according to motherboard manual?