Stuttering graphics after upgrading to ATX Case

May 25, 2018
I recently decided to bit by bit upgrade my pc. I had an old xps 8500 with an NW73C motherboard and i7-3700. I had upgraded the graphics card to an GTX 1050 Ti Oc from MSI. Everything worked fine while in the original case but since I was and still am planning to upgrade to a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini I needed more room (just in case) and a larger power supply which is the only thing that has changed in the transfer. I don’t have the old PSU specs as it was the one the case came with, though I do know it was about 400~ watts, but I have a new EVGA 650 BQ bronze edition power supply. Everything is hooked up in its proper place as I double checked and all components are snug and properly placed. Everything had worked flawlessly before the transfer but after everything is stuttering even on the desktop, not just when running games. Any advice? And is there a chance that it will work properly when I upgrade to the 1080? The case, if you’re curious, is a Fractal Design Focus G. Any tips or advice would be great.

Solution
In that case it will run at 50/60Hz. Set it to 60Hz inside of windows and nvidia settings. If the problem persists after this, set it to 50Hz and try again. If that's still the case it isn't the settings.

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
Can you clarify what you mean by stuttering, is it freezing? There is a chance that display settings were reset when you switched over, so jump into the windows and nvidia settings to check. You could have had the refresh rate set really low/high which would cause mild stuttering.

May 25, 2018

By stuttering I mean that it seems almost to be skipping a few frames per second. Everything runs as it should. Games still play, apps still run, but it’s an absolute eye sore. It’s not absolutely terrible but it’s very noticeable. It’s not freezing. Just running choppy

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
Open task manager and expand the view. Look for programs using excessive memory or cpu usage. Again, make sure all the graphics settings are correct (that kind of skipping sound be refresh rate set too high for your monitor).

May 25, 2018
I forgot to add that my monitor is actually my 4K tv. I’ll have to double check the settings since I had it set to only display at 1080 before but after the update it was running at 4K automatically.

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
In that case it will run at 50/60Hz. Set it to 60Hz inside of windows and nvidia settings. If the problem persists after this, set it to 50Hz and try again. If that's still the case it isn't the settings.

Solution
May 25, 2018
After looking into the display settings I found that for some reason the gpu was set to output at 30hz automatically. I switched it up to 60hz and it runs smooth as a bun now

TRENDING THREADS