[SOLVED] Stuttering in all games.. please tell me whats wrong with my system.

Jan 13, 2022
Hello guys, by the way im new here so pardon me if i made mistakes. And also my english is not that good so please bare with me :’) I built my first PC with the specs that i chose, and turns out every game that i play is stuttering.. it only happens a few seconds tho but i often play competitive games like valorant, cs go, and it really annoys me. Here are my specs :

i3 8100 3.60 GHZ
MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G OC (Used/secondhand)
Gigabyte H110M-DS2 (1151 Socket)
Kingston 8 Gb DDR4 RAM 2666 MHZ (Single channel)
Thermaltake 600 watts power supply (6 power pin)
6 pin to 8 pin power adapter
Samsung EVO 860 SSD 500 GB
WD Blue HDD 1 TB 7200 RPM

So at first this PC was built for my little brother online school meeting during COVID pandemic, then i bought him the graphic card later on (so everything is already bought, build, and put together before, unless the graphic card). After i run a few games, i got very high FPS in every games but every 20 seconds or so the game stutters, and after i checked, the FPS dropped drastically for 1 up to 3 seconds (from 90 FPS to 15-30 FPS). This happens in every games that i play, which are CS-GO, Valorant, GTA Online, The forest, Apex Legends, Cyberpunk 2077. Even the sims 4 and minecraft is also stuttering. All those games runs smoothly on my PC, with 60+ FPS using the auto settings, and in some games i can even get like 200 FPS, but again it stutters. Can you guys help me? I’ve tried everything from updating my driver, BIOS, increasing my GPU fan speed in the radeon adrenalin advanced settings, installing the game in my SSD, and none of them worked (i’ve also tried to lower the graphic settings, sometimes i even set it at the lowest possible settings and it still didn’t change anything). By the way my GPU temp is okay, the max temp is around 50 to 80 degrees celsius. is it my ram? Because it‘s not dual channel? Or is it bottleneck-ing because of my CPU? Or is it the 6 to 8 pin power adapter that i use to power the GPU? Answers will be very much appreciated, thank you very much guys!

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

So, you are already on the right. It's possibly 1 of 2 things, or a combination of both.

1. Your ram is single channel. Dual channel can give a 10-20% boost in performance depending on the application being used. Also, because you have just 8gbs, your ram is likely maxing out, and then using the swap file/virtual mem on your HDD/SSD which is much slower than ram. This causes stuttering.

2. Your CPU although can push high frames has just 4 cores and 4 threads. This is also a limiting factor for a lot of today's games, and specially so if you have any tasks running in the background. You can try and limit this impact by shutting down anything running that is not necessary to game. This will give you less stuttering, but...
Hey there,

So, you are already on the right. It's possibly 1 of 2 things, or a combination of both.

1. Your ram is single channel. Dual channel can give a 10-20% boost in performance depending on the application being used. Also, because you have just 8gbs, your ram is likely maxing out, and then using the swap file/virtual mem on your HDD/SSD which is much slower than ram. This causes stuttering.

2. Your CPU although can push high frames has just 4 cores and 4 threads. This is also a limiting factor for a lot of today's games, and specially so if you have any tasks running in the background. You can try and limit this impact by shutting down anything running that is not necessary to game. This will give you less stuttering, but possibly won't alleviate the issue.

Solution
Jan 13, 2022
Hey there,

2. Your CPU although can push high frames has just 4 cores and 4 threads. This is also a limiting factor for a lot of today's games, and specially so if you have any tasks running in the background. You can try and limit this impact by shutting down anything running that is not necessary to game. This will give you less stuttering, but possibly won't alleviate the issue.
If i may ask, What is virtual memory? And is it automatically utilized by the system or is there any way to configure it myself? Thankyou for the advice to shut down background running apps, i think i will try it, it makes sense because even if my processor isnt that bad it only has 4 cores ad 4 threads.I will also try to borrow another ram with same memory clock from my friend to test if its the problem. Thankyou very much For the opinion and advice , i really appreciate it!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Virtual memory is a trick windows uses to convince programs that it has way more memory than it really does. Thee actual location of files in virtual memory are in ram or page file.
Page file is on your ssd and is way slower than ram so its not really ideal to use it. Better to buy more ram than to use page file.
you can increase its size but windows will do that automatically if it needs it. I would just leave it auto.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
In addition to these issues, you have a very troubling situation, in which a junk PSU is connected to a discrete GPU and through an adapter as well. If you don't want to be facing more issues in the future, such as no longer being the owner of a functioning RX 580, this mess ought to be remedied immediately.

Jan 13, 2022
Virtual memory is a trick windows uses to convince programs that it has way more memory than it really does. Thee actual location of files in virtual memory are in ram or page file.
Page file is on your ssd and is way slower than ram so its not really ideal to use it. Better to buy more ram than to use page file.
you can increase its size but windows will do that automatically if it needs it. I would just leave it auto.
Thanks for the answer! I’ll try adding another ram to check if its the problem, i’ve heard that sual channel is better so i think it might actually work. And aldo thanks for the information

Jan 13, 2022
In addition to these issues, you have a very troubling situation, in which a junk PSU is connected to a discrete GPU and through an adapter as well. If you don't want to be facing more issues in the future, such as no longer being the owner of a functioning RX 580, this mess ought to be remedied immediately.
so my PSU is bad? Im new at these pc building so i didn’t know, i bought it for a decent price and i’ve hard about the brand so i thought it’s a decent or good PSU, thanks! In addition of the PSU do you think the main problem is with my 6 to 8 pin adapter? when i bought the adapter i also think that this isnt a good idea but i’ve watched a couple youtube videos and read some threads they say it’s usable and works, now since i got this problem i think it may be the adapter thats causing all these..

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
so my PSU is bad? Im new at these pc building so i didn’t know, i bought it for a decent price and i’ve hard about the brand so i thought it’s a decent or good PSU, thanks! In addition of the PSU do you think the main problem is with my 6 to 8 pin adapter? when i bought the adapter i also think that this isnt a good idea but i’ve watched a couple youtube videos and read some threads they say it’s usable and works, now since i got this problem i think it may be the adapter thats causing all these..

The PSU is bad and the adapter is a terrible idea. But the PSU would still junk even if it had the proper 8-pin connector.

That doesn't mean that the PSU is causing the stuttering. It's a separate serious problem that came up diagnosing another problem. The PSU should be replaced under all circumstances, including if you had no stuttering problem.

Jan 13, 2022
The PSU is bad and the adapter is a terrible idea. But the PSU would still junk even if it had the proper 8-pin connector.

That doesn't mean that the PSU is causing the stuttering. It's a separate serious problem that came up diagnosing another problem. The PSU should be replaced under all circumstances, including if you had no stuttering problem.
Thankyou so much for the advise! Yep will do.