[SOLVED] Stuttering in COD MW2 2022

TendoCats

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
Ok, so for the past few days multiplayer in COD MW2 has had stutters here and there. Single player runs fine, so I don't think this is a graphics problem. I am on driver version 522.25, so it can't be my driver. I don't think it's cpu since my laptop isn't melting while playing. I'm hoping this is just a issue with the game not the computer itself. Thanks in advance!

Link to laptop specs: View: https://imgur.com/a/wPL7mHo

Solution
It seems like with the new update the stutters and performance have gotten much better!

Yeah, I have heard that the new update/patch and even the latest Nvidia GPU drivers have helped minimize stutters in this game, and improve overall performance as well. As per the Nvidia notes:

The new Game Ready Driver Version 526.86 WHQL provides the best gaming experience for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II. Specifically, this new Game Ready Driver offers improved stability, solves image corruption issues, and supports NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution and NVIDIA Reflex.

I'm going to buy this game next week, since I really enjoy playing COD single player campaigns.
If the SINGLE Player campaign works perfectly fine, then most likely issue must be with the MP/Online part of this game. You can try asking this on the official COD forums as well, just in case the issue is widespread.

Though, one of the simplest ways to possibly fix Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 stuttering and frame drops on PC has been turning off the on-demand texture streaming setting.

You will find this in the CoD MW2 visual settings. All you need to do is toggle on-demand texture streaming from on to off.

As stated by the menu, on-demand texture streaming downloads high quality textures as you play the game. Disabling stops this and shows local textures only, and should provide a smoother experience, but NOT always.

Texture Streaming actually uses your internet connection to download the game assets as you're playing. The exact same stutters were happening in MW 2019 as well. The game runs fine until you start noticing frequent micro stutters.

This fix given below sometimes helps. Should also work for MW2.
  • Go to Documents > Call of Duty > players > Right-click on “options.3.3cod22.cst”, and select open with Notepad.
  • Scroll to the end and locate “RendererWorkerCount.”
  • Change the value of RendererWorkerCount to the number of your CPU’s physical cores. The number you enter should be half the number of threads on your CPU. Default value is 4. Then press Ctrl+S to save the changes. Now enter the game and test the improvement.

• renderer-worker-count-mw2-768x368.jpg

Last edited:

TendoCats

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
If the SINGLE Player campaign works perfectly fine, then most likely issue must be with the MP/Online part of this game. You can try asking this on the official COD forums as well, just in case the issue is widespread.

Though, one of the simplest ways to possibly fix Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 stuttering and frame drops on PC has been turning off the on-demand texture streaming setting.

You will find this in the CoD MW2 visual settings. All you need to do is toggle on-demand texture streaming from on to off.

As stated by the menu, on-demand texture streaming downloads high quality textures as you play the game. Disabling stops this and shows local textures only, and should provide a smoother experience, but NOT always.

Texture Streaming actually uses your internet connection to download the game assets as you're playing. The exact same stutters were happening in MW 2019 as well. The game runs fine until you start noticing frequent micro stutters.

This fix given below sometimes helps. Should also work for MW2.
  • Go to Documents > Call of Duty > players > Right-click on “options.3.3cod22.cst”, and select open with Notepad.
  • Scroll to the end and locate “RendererWorkerCount.”
  • Change the value of RendererWorkerCount to the number of your CPU’s physical cores. The number you enter should be half the number of threads on your CPU. Default value is 4. Then press Ctrl+S to save the changes. Now enter the game and test the improvement.

• renderer-worker-count-mw2-768x368.jpg
Alright, I have tried the .cst file fix before, very little change, and I have read that on demand texture streaming causing stutters is more of a problem on HDD rather than SSD. The on demand texture streaming solution is worth a shot though.

TendoCats

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
Did toggling the "on demand" texture streaming setting did any good to reduce the in-game stutters in MP matches ? I just hope the single player campaign doesn't stutter that badly as the MP part.
Oh sorry! I didn't see this reply in my mail up until now! It seems like with the new update the stutters and performance have gotten much better! There are still some stutters here and there, but it could just be because I didn't do a clean install with my nvidia drivers. I don't feel like changing back all the settings In the control pannel. Other than that, I am not too sure what could be causing this. I should probably check others games to see if this is more of a PC problem rather than a game problem.

It seems like with the new update the stutters and performance have gotten much better!

Yeah, I have heard that the new update/patch and even the latest Nvidia GPU drivers have helped minimize stutters in this game, and improve overall performance as well. As per the Nvidia notes:

The new Game Ready Driver Version 526.86 WHQL provides the best gaming experience for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II. Specifically, this new Game Ready Driver offers improved stability, solves image corruption issues, and supports NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution and NVIDIA Reflex.

I'm going to buy this game next week, since I really enjoy playing COD single player campaigns.

Last edited:
Reactions: TendoCats
Solution