Question Stuttering in CPU intensive games

Jun 13, 2024
Hi, I have been having the same performance issue in games across two different computers,

Games will run at a high fps (140+), but then stutter for a millisecond during intensive scenes: (moving the camera, particle effects) Task manager shows no bottlenecks. I think it is CPU related because lowering graphics settings to increase performance doesn't affect the stuttering. For reference, here is what my fps typically looks like in a graph from rivatuner:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D6U_I6oWGoGbOVXPHhm63oWti4ywBZnR/view?usp=sharing

The problem has persisted in two computers now, I got a new computer to rule out any hardware problems, then factory reset the computer using a new mouse, new keyboard and no other peripherals besides my monitor and the outlet I use. Despite this, the problem is almost identical to my old PC's stuttering issue. I have ruled out any of the typical software fixes like drivers and bios updates as the computer I have now is completely new and experiencing the same issue as my old pc despite the fresh install of everything.

Assuming the PC isn't holding on to any old files when I reset it, the only possible causes for it to be running poorly are the monitor, cables to the outlet, and the outlet itself (of course wifi as well, but I tried playing games with Wifi off and the same issue happened.) I have tried a new outlet in the house and got the same results.

TLDR: My new pc has the same stuttering issue as my old pc. The possible reasons likely are external: my electricity/power outlet, my wifi, or my monitor. (everything else has been replaced)

If anyone has ideas as to what could be causing these issues across two different PC's I would be glad to hear. Thanks

Specs:
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400F
GPU: RTX 4060
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM
SSD: 1 TB

Assuming the PC isn't holding on to any old files when I reset it, the only possible causes for it to be running poorly are the monitor, cables to the outlet, and the outlet itself (of course wifi as well, but I tried playing games with Wifi off and the same issue happened.) I have tried a new outlet in the house and got the same results.
You forget that the games themselves can be written badly, many games are written in a way that when they read new stuff from the drive they stop working on the game causing a massive drop in FPS. When you move the mouse the game has to load new data into the GPU, same with particle effects, those are not permanently stored in the GPU.
List the games you have stutters in, search on google for these games + stutter.

Here is some insight on why games might have stutters.
View: https://youtu.be/H1L4iLIU9xU?t=942

Reactions: CountMike