[SOLVED] Stuttering in games and desktop

Darkreys

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
Hi,

I've somewhat recently started to experience stuttering in both games as well as in regular desktop use. In games this manifests as a heavy momentary drop in FPS.

View: https://i.imgur.com/cNeqxtE.png
- FPS graph in bottom right

In desktop usage I would describe the experience as similar to losing frames in a game. My mouse might "teleport" a short distance if I am moving my cursor as my system feels like it "skips ahead" a bit.

The stutters I experience in games (beat saber) are frequent, roughly once every 5 minutes or so. The desktop stutters I notice very infrequently, maybe once or twice a day.

My PC specs are as follows:
CPU: i5-4690k
CPU-Cooler: 212 EVO
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
RAM: 2x8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3-1600
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
PSU: Corsair gaming 700W
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO SSD (windows 10), Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HDD.
VR: Oculus Rift

Most of my components are ~4-6 years old and the PSU is probably around ~7.

I did a clean installation of windows to try and make sure it wasn't a software issue. This did not fix the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've somewhat recently started to experience stuttering in both games as well as in regular desktop use. In games this manifests as a heavy momentary drop in FPS.

View: https://i.imgur.com/cNeqxtE.png
- FPS graph in bottom right

In desktop usage I would describe the experience as similar to losing frames in a game. My mouse might "teleport" a short distance if I am moving my cursor as my system feels like it "skips ahead" a bit.

The stutters I experience in games (beat saber) are frequent, roughly once every 5 minutes or so. The desktop stutters I notice very infrequently, maybe once or twice a day.

My PC specs are as follows:
CPU: i5-4690k
CPU-Cooler: 212 EVO
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
RAM: 2x8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3-1600
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
PSU: Corsair gaming 700W
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO SSD (windows 10), Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HDD.
VR: Oculus Rift

Most of my components are ~4-6 years old and the PSU is probably around ~7.

I did a clean installation of windows to try and make sure it wasn't a software issue. This did not fix the issue.

Thanks in advance.
Perform check for SSD/HDD, and make sure monitoring the drive health.

How should I go about doing this? Are you suggesting I use some downloadable software or are there native tools in windows you'd like me to try?
Using windows tools :
- Go to Computer.
- Right-click on the main drive you want to check.
  • Click Properties.
  • At the Tools tab, click Get started at the Error-checking section.
- Check the Automatically fix file system errors checkbox.
- Click Start.

Or you can download CrystalDiskInfo. It's a free app and it will give you a lot of info about your ssd/hdd.

Darkreys

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
Using windows tools :
- Go to Computer.
- Right-click on the main drive you want to check.
  • Click Properties.
  • At the Tools tab, click Get started at the Error-checking section.
- Check the Automatically fix file system errors checkbox.
- Click Start.

Or you can download CrystalDiskInfo. It's a free app and it will give you a lot of info about your ssd/hdd.
The windows tool didn't find any errors in either of my drives.

Here are the results from CrystalDiskInfo:
View: https://i.imgur.com/9JBV3kv.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/8hH1p9K.png

Darkreys

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
Try reseat SATA port and power cables. Hardware issue can caused this.
This helped a lot. Based on my latest test I'd say there were roughly 80% fewer fps drops then before.

This was only one session though, so I'll try and affirm the results tomorrow as well.

Is there anything else you'd still suggest trying?

This helped a lot. Based on my latest test I'd say there were roughly 80% fewer fps drops then before.

This was only one session though, so I'll try and affirm the results tomorrow as well.

Is there anything else you'd still suggest trying?
If they still occurs, I suggest to change the systems drive (I assuming SSD is for Windows, so try instal windows is another drive), if you have.

Darkreys

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
If they still occurs, I suggest to change the systems drive (I assuming SSD is for Windows, so try instal windows is another drive), if you have.
I'll update here if anything changes once I install windows on a different drive. It will be while a though.

For now, I've reconfirmed that reseating the power and sata cables did improve the situation.