Question Stuttering in games despite low resource usage

Kill3rCat

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
No recent hardware changes. Had this PC for a few years now, and the GPU also for a couple years.

Starting a couple days ago, I've been getting constant stuttering in pretty much every game I play games which I had no issues with until a couple days ago. Occasionally (every ~30 seconds) it stops stuttering for a second, and then goes right back to stuttering. The audio also stutters along with the visuals.

Spec:
  • i7 6700k
  • 16 GB RAM
  • GTX 1080 Ti

While playing, neither drive usage, CPU usage, nor RAM are maxed out. GPU usage is very low, but spikes when the game stops stuttering. Tried updating my video drivers, no joy.

Any thoughts?

I would check temperatures first to make sure everything is in range.

Update all drivers not just video.

What popped into my mind when I first read was a power supply issue.

If the power supply is dying it can do all sorts of crazy things to the other components.

Is the power supply fan making a noise, is it spinning?

What are the full specs of the computer, namely power supply?

Kill3rCat

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
Temp is inside comfortable ranges. The CPU gets a little toasty under load (~70°C) but nothing too concerning.

PSU is a Cooler Master V1000. No audible noise from the PSU. Can't see clearly, but it looks like the fan is indeed spinning.

Kill3rCat

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
CPU-Z and HWMonitor will let us see if CPU is scaling to normal all-core clocks under load and at normal temps...
If it's a driver/WIndows update glitch, then a quick nuke and pave will clear it up....

I had HWMonitor running on a second monitor the whole time, clock speeds were normal (4400 MHz).

Possibly unrelated, but about the same time this problem started, my computer would occasionally not POST (code B4). It only happens on occasion; I turn the PC on, go get a cup of tea, and when I get back it's a black screen. A reboot usually fixes it.