[SOLVED] Stuttering in games even with high fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
Guys, I noticed that in all games, when I let the framerate loose or locked at 60 they get some annoying chokes, I tested with vsync on and off and I still did several tests on the rise of tomb raider game, in that benchmark option , when I let the fps loose or locked at 60, always chokes, and always in the same part, So i went to riva tunner and crashed at 10 fps, and the benchmark ran without any stuttering, but I won't play the 10fps right, how can I solve this? I monitored the msi afterburner and found nothing wrong, no cpu, gpu, ram, etc. bottleneck. For ease I decided to record 2 videos of this benchmark, one is with vsync off and the other enabled.

I've formatted the pc several times, tested cpu, gpu, ram, ssd, hdd. All updated drivers, updated bios, normal temperatures, tested games on ssd and hdd, disabled services like windows search, prefetch. But none of that solved, what can it be?

Remembering that these stutterings is not only in this game but in all games, except for dirt rally which is oddly smooth-wheeled, but the games I've tested are bf5, metro exodus, ets 2, far cry 5, gta 5 , control, titanfall 2.

Config:

Ryzen 5 1600

RX 580 4GB Gigabyte

8gb ram ddr4

B450 Aorus Elite

Corsair CX 550w

SSD 120gb (windows, games)

HDD 500gb 5400rpm (games)

V-sync on:

View: https://youtu.be/0zIZZ07E2ow

V-sync off:

View: https://youtu.be/NLgpjk121Z4

Solution
It's rare to have a perfectly performing game no matter the system, be it game engine optimisations or Windows/drivers. I don't trust Youtube videos too much because it's difficult to know if and what settings they've enhanced or disabled in Windows/gpu UI or games to improve performance.

If 16gb helped but still getting mini freezes, it could be anything from Windows software, power plans, gpu driver, temps, game settings and whatever else. Or your system is still suffering poor IO from your ssd due to space. Also those 120GBs ssds aren't as quick vs larger drives

After playing for a bit, have a look in task manager > memory and see committed size. It'll look something like 10gb/15gb. The right side value is how large the...

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
You need more ram, your pagefile is getting hammered. 16GB is recommended nowadays.

You're right, but that doesn't explain me stuttering in just about every game, I don't know why but dirt rally runs smooth as I said above, and it stays at that same tomb raider pagefile average, just not locking.

Also the hdd your games are on is too slow.

About hdd, the game was on ssd, and crashing just as if placed on hdd, so I don't think that's it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
With 8gb ram, you'll be lucky to have 6gb free after Windows takes what it needs.

Amongst other game stuff, Gpu vram data is also passing in and out of system ram. Not all ram needs to be used though before Windows initialises the pagefile, it'll always anticipate. If you don't have atleast 30gb free on your ssd for the pagefile to grow, it can cause stutters like this. Plus ssds do start to slow down the more full it is. It is recommended to have 20% free.

In games that are stuttering, it'll be due to these factors. I see it a lot.

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
With 8gb ram, you'll be lucky to have 6gb free after Windows takes what it needs.

Amongst other game stuff, Gpu vram data is also passing in and out of system ram. Not all ram needs to be used though before Windows initialises the pagefile, it'll always anticipate. If you don't have atleast 30gb free on your ssd for the pagefile to grow, it can cause stutters like this. Plus ssds do start to slow down the more full it is. It is recommended to have 20% free.

ok thanks, I bought more 8gb ram, I will see if now solves this, then I post the results here.

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019

Hello again, today I tested with 16gb ram, and greatly reduced the stutterings, but still exists, unlike videos I see on youtube of people with the same configuration as mine, what can I do to make them disappear?

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
What parts of the game(s) are you stuttering at now? Do you have things (web browsers, backup programs, pandora, etc) running in the background while you are playing?

It usually happens when I am going to do something new, such as clicking the aim button, getting in a car, starting the car, arriving in a new scenario, etc. When I'm playing I don't leave anything open, just the game and msi afterburner because of the fan control.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's rare to have a perfectly performing game no matter the system, be it game engine optimisations or Windows/drivers. I don't trust Youtube videos too much because it's difficult to know if and what settings they've enhanced or disabled in Windows/gpu UI or games to improve performance.

If 16gb helped but still getting mini freezes, it could be anything from Windows software, power plans, gpu driver, temps, game settings and whatever else. Or your system is still suffering poor IO from your ssd due to space. Also those 120GBs ssds aren't as quick vs larger drives

After playing for a bit, have a look in task manager > memory and see committed size. It'll look something like 10gb/15gb. The right side value is how large the pagefile.sys is. 30gb free space isn't good.

Consider a larger ssd for games and have nothing else on the 120gb besides Windows. 5400rpm drive for general storage.

Solution

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019

After playing for a bit, have a look in task manager > memory and see committed size. It'll look something like 10gb/15gb. The right side value is how large the pagefile.sys is. 30gb free space isn't good.

Consider a larger ssd for games and have nothing else on the 120gb besides Windows. 5400rpm drive for general storage.

Ok, i need more space on my pc, would you recommend me a ssd nvme 512gb or a seagate 1tb hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.