[SOLVED] Stuttering in games when something new happens

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
Hello!

I'm having a lot of stuttering problems in every game, I've tried everything, wasted a lot of time trying to solve it, months trying and so far nothing. Whenever you do something for the first time in the game, it can, for example, in shooting games, when you take the first shot, there is a stutter, when an explosion occurs, when a camera occurs, etc.

My setup:

Ryzen 5 1600
4GB Gigabyte RX 580
Memory 16gb ddr4 4x4 3000mhz
B450 Aorus Elite
Corsair CX 550w
120GB SSD (Windows, Games)
HDD 500gb 5400rpm (games)
60hz monitor (no freesync, no gsync)

Please do not waste your time saying that it is HDD, because it is not, ssd and hdd games look the same, try removing hdd to see something and nothing has changed.

I formatted several times
I tried using DDU and it's still the same
I tested several amd video drivers
Disable or dvr game, game mode
I disabled cortana
All BIOS Power Saver Settings
Drivers and BIOS in latest version
No problem with standby memory
Normal temperatures
Monitored by msi afterbuner and saw no CPU usage fluctuation, vram frequency, clock, CPU frequency.
Disable / enable HPET
Disable / Enable HDCP
Disable / enable a sync V
I tested on cpu, gpu, ram, ssd, hdd
Disable prefetch, super search, Windows search
My power supply has 2 pci cables, test with two and still the same
Already tested in stock and overclocking
As I recall, it was all that was ever tested, the only game that had no problems was the dirt rally.

I did this second latency test, it sounds pretty high, but I don't know if that could be a problem.

Out of game:

View: https://imgur.com/a/3ByV5hy

In the game:

View: https://imgur.com/a/gKa9G2d

Solution
I hate to say that but apparently the problem is the HD. Today I decided to remove the case cover to see how the coolers were, and noticed a strange noise, after doing a test on CrystalDiskMark saw that this noise came from the hd, did not cover the case, I had my ear very close to the hd for listening it and I put a game to test, and to my surprise, just as a stuttering happened, the hd made a noise, every time the game crashed, the hd made a noise at the same time. Now I have to buy another HD right, a 7200 rpm already solves this?

Considering you seem to get by just using a 500GB mechanical HDD then the best option is to skip a mechanical drive altogether and go full SSD. A 1TB SSD can be had for under $100 these days. Or if...

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
[QUOTE = "boju, post: 21292874, membro: 132708"]
É recomendável obter um ssd maior, conforme discutimos no tópico anterior.
[/CITAR]

I don't think this is the problem, in fact I am sure it is not that, after doing more tests I saw that the problem was not this.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you increased remaining space on your ssd since we last spoke? If ssd still has the same amount of free space then i still advise to get a larger ssd. Disconnecting drives wont do or prove anything.

Another possibility i can think of for your stutters may be audio. Try disable audio controller in device manager.

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
[QUOTE = "boju, post: 21293507, membro: 132708"]
Você aumentou o espaço restante no seu ssd desde a última vez que falamos? Se o ssd ainda tiver a mesma quantidade de espaço livre, ainda aconselho a obter um ssd maior. Desconectar unidades não faz nem prova nada.

Outra possibilidade em que posso pensar em suas gagueiras pode ser áudio. Tente desativar o controlador de áudio no gerenciador de dispositivos.
[/CITAR]

Yesterday I did something that improved a lot, I uninstalled directx, vcredist and installed again, decreased a lot. Also I think it's driver problem, I uninstalled all of ethernet and installed again, I will try this audio.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
the problem does not involve hdd and ssd

I was going by what you said in your other thread that upgrading to 16gb ram helped leading me to believe you still have poor IO(in and out) operations from your main drive.

It might be driver conflicts but seeing as you reinstalled Windows several times this is up for debate.

Forget the Hdd for the moment. The drive where Windows is installed on is the primary focus. If, still, only 32gb free, with the pagefile reaching to which ever size it grows to, 'can' eat into significant remaining space slowing down the ssd.

Can see pagefile size in task manager > memory, under committed. See what it says after a few minutes of playing a game.

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
I was going by what you said in your other thread that upgrading to 16gb ram helped leading me to believe you still have poor IO(in and out) operations from your main drive.

It might be driver conflicts but seeing as you reinstalled Windows several times this is up for debate.

Forget the Hdd for the moment. The drive where Windows is installed on is the primary focus. If, still, only 32gb free, with the pagefile reaching to which ever size it grows to, 'can' eat into significant remaining space slowing down the ssd.

Can see pagefile size in task manager > memory, under committed. See what it says after a few minutes of playing a game.

20.2gb of which I have 30gb of free space

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Whenever something new is loaded in game it usually means the CPU must be accessed. So perhaps your CPU is not cooled properly? If you have a good and working cooler then perhaps it is your case not letting in enough air if so try to run the game with the side panel removed and see if that helps. Or the thermal paste for the cooler have not been distributed properly, might be a hot spot somewhere. If so thermal paste needs to be re applied.

Other issues when having 2 drives for game play is the game will always install some files on the main drive. It could be something like this issue with replay files: https://steamcommunity.com/app/44350/discussions/0/864969320343558640/

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
Oh ok.

Could try setting a min/ maximum pagefile size. Try the values here.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html

I did it and it seems to have improved a bit but it still

Whenever something new is loaded in game it usually means the CPU must be accessed. So perhaps your CPU is not cooled properly? If you have a good and working cooler then perhaps it is your case not letting in enough air if so try to run the game with the side panel removed and see if that helps. Or the thermal paste for the cooler have not been distributed properly, might be a hot spot somewhere. If so thermal paste needs to be re applied.

My processor is no more than 55 ° in games, I don't think so, I've checked the temperature of each core and none is heating up too much.

Other issues when having 2 drives for game play is the game will always install some files on the main drive. It could be something like this issue with replay files: https://steamcommunity.com/app/44350/discussions/0/864969320343558640/

This solution is for those who have games on steam, most of my games that are on steam are on hdd, only 1 is on ssd, but I didn't find the folder '' replay ''.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Limiting pagefile showing improvements is a reminder you do need a bigger ssd. A lot of games load on the fly (Not racing games) and with how your ssd is performing and slow speed of the 5400 drive, they're both not helping. You've tried a lot to solve this. Im confident you need a larger ssd to replace both.

Last edited:

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
Limiting pagefile showing improvements is a reminder you do need a bigger ssd. A lot of games load on the fly (Not racing games) and with how your ssd is performing and slow speed of the 5400 drive, they're both not helping. You've tried a lot to solve this. Im confident you need a larger ssd to replace both.

I'm sorry, but as long as I'm not 100% sure that to solve just buy a bigger ssd, I will not spend more money than I already spent, because I had only 8gb of ram, bought 8 more to see if it improved, improved , but continued.

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
Let's focus on the problem and not on ssd / hdd ok. In euro truck simulator 2 when I leave v-sync off and fps loose, it is between 100-120 fps, the stutterings slow down a lot, but a sudden 0.5 second drop comes out of nowhere if I leave v-sync turned on at 60 fps, this happens a lot more.

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
I hate to say that but apparently the problem is the HD. Today I decided to remove the case cover to see how the coolers were, and noticed a strange noise, after doing a test on CrystalDiskMark saw that this noise came from the hd, did not cover the case, I had my ear very close to the hd for listening it and I put a game to test, and to my surprise, just as a stuttering happened, the hd made a noise, every time the game crashed, the hd made a noise at the same time. Now I have to buy another HD right, a 7200 rpm already solves this?

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019

Considering you seem to get by just using a 500GB mechanical HDD then the best option is to skip a mechanical drive altogether and go full SSD. A 1TB SSD can be had for under $100 these days. Or if you want to go mechanical cheapest deal I found is a 2TB Seagate for under $50 if you live in the US: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mw...tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm008

Solution

henrique1123

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019