[SOLVED] Stuttering in games which did not stutter before after buying a new gpu. Is this a CPU issue?

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Bought a 3080 ti a few days ago, and now I'm experiencing stuttering in some games that ran fine before with a gtx 970, although I am running 1440p as opposed to 1080p. Is this a CPU issue? I'm running a 9400f? If it is, would a 9900k solve those issues with a stock cooler? Thanks!

Solution
Mass multiplayer games tend to eat up cpu threads, so what happens in FF15 and Warzone makes sense.
For the ones that aren't as 'packed' or are more single player oriented, the cpu simply isn't fast enough to keep that gpu fed.
So it looks like it's a combination of both cpu speed and not enough cpu resources.

Also, all 3 storage drives are a bit too full. Around the 80% mark, they start to slow down.
They're between 90-95% full.

So it does appear you're due to change the cpu - clean up the storage some too.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Is your CPU usage maxed out? Check that, although I doubt that is the issue.

Secondly do a clean installation of the latest Nvidia drivers

Third what power supply do you have?

In the games it is stuttering in it is at 90-100%. I have a nzxt c850m. I did a clean install when I got the gpu. I will also sometimes get major fps drops in some games for a few seconds. Although it only happens in games where I have 250+ fps (competitive shooters)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does turning the eye candy way up alleviate it any?
Does going into Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Vertical Sync(change it to Fast, then click Apply), help at all?

A 9900K will require a not so cheap Z370/390 motherboard(to avoid VRM power throttling), as well as a not so cheap cpu cooler - the Intel stock cooler will not cut it.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Does turning the eye candy way up alleviate it any?
Does going into Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Vertical Sync(change it to Fast, then click Apply), help at all?

A 9900K will require a not so cheap Z370/390 motherboard(to avoid VRM power throttling), as well as a not so cheap cpu cooler - the Intel stock cooler will not cut it.

It does help in games where I get sub 100 fps, but some games like ff15 will not drop under 100 even at ultra settings. I can alleviate it by using DSR to render 4k but that beats the point I guess. i9 9900k is around 330 euros right now, while the cheapest z370 is 130 euros. I could afford to buy a cooler with that as well, just am contemplating whether to buy it right now or save up for a 5950x(around 1400 euros total with new mobo+ram) or even maybe wait for the next cpu gen. Could the ram or mobo be causing this? I'm using kingston 2666 mhz 16-18-18, 2x16gb with a gigabyte h310m.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the ram, unless for some reason the system does not recognize the dual channel config. You would've noticed this though, when the OS only sees half the ram.
Intel's cpus also aren't that sensitive to ram speed and timings, compared to the competitor's offerings.

Motherboard? There's not many ways to troubleshoot that beyond a new board, but I don't see this being it either.

The point of cranking the eye candy and RTX on(if available) is to see if helps bring cpu core usage down, and possibly helps with the stuttering too. If it is not:
-Drivers. I believe you already tried these.
-Cpu isn't fast enough to keep up with the gpu at the current resolution and desired in game settings.
-Cpu doesn't have enough physical threads to keep up with the gpu at the current resolution and desired in game settings.
-Cpu is thermal throttling. Shouldn't happen until 99.5C though.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
It's not the ram, unless for some reason the system does not recognize the dual channel config. You would've noticed this though, when the OS only sees half the ram.
Intel's cpus also aren't that sensitive to ram speed and timings, compared to the competitor's offerings.

Motherboard? There's not many ways to troubleshoot that beyond a new board, but I don't see this being it either.

The point of cranking the eye candy and RTX on(if available) is to see if helps bring cpu core usage down, and possibly helps with the stuttering too. If it is not:
-Drivers. I believe you already tried these.
-Cpu isn't fast enough to keep up with the gpu at the current resolution and desired in game settings.
-Cpu doesn't have enough physical threads to keep up with the gpu at the current resolution and desired in game settings.
-Cpu is thermal throttling. Shouldn't happen until 99.5C though.

Cpu temps are at around 85c under load. 30 degrees more than it was with a 970, guess it has something to do with the 3080 taking up literally half the case. I guess i gotta get a new CPU. Any not so expensive cpu i can get for the time being? The 9900k with a new mobo and same ram would cost me around 450 euros + not sure which cooler to get with it. I know it is a somewhat older cpu but if it won't bottleneck the 3080 i'd be happy, + 450 is much cheaper than what the new ryzen cpus go for in my country right now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would like to see a little more before going straight to that.
1)Even with all the eye candy(plus RTX, if possible) cranked up, was at least one cpu core hitting ~90% usage or more?
It has to be per core - you cannot use the whole cpu usage readings.

2)Run userbenchmark app. Close the browser and all active monitoring apps before you run it, or it screws with benchmark accuracy.
Oh, and disable G-sync temporarily in NVCP.
When it is finished, it will take you to a results page. That page is what we want to see, so copy-paste the public URL here.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
I would like to see a little more before going straight to that.
1)Even with all the eye candy(plus RTX, if possible) cranked up, was at least one cpu core hitting ~90% usage or more?
It has to be per core - you cannot use the whole cpu usage readings.

2)Run userbenchmark app. Close the browser and all active monitoring apps before you run it, or it screws with benchmark accuracy.
Oh, and disable G-sync temporarily in NVCP.
When it is finished, it will take you to a results page. That page is what we want to see, so copy-paste the public URL here.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46505987
here is the link to the result. As far as cores go, it depends on the game. In ff15 all the cores hit 100%, it destroys the cpu. In other ones I didn't check, but i guess they do when it stutters a bit. Not all games stutter, I'd say about 40% of titles I play will stutter, and it's pretty much the ones in which I get 100+ fps, and out of the competitive shooters I play only warzone stutters.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Mass multiplayer games tend to eat up cpu threads, so what happens in FF15 and Warzone makes sense.
For the ones that aren't as 'packed' or are more single player oriented, the cpu simply isn't fast enough to keep that gpu fed.
So it looks like it's a combination of both cpu speed and not enough cpu resources.

Also, all 3 storage drives are a bit too full. Around the 80% mark, they start to slow down.

Solution

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

Makes sense. Will clean it up. Is a 9900k enough to not be a bottleneck or do i need something more powerful?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
9900K is plenty fast. The problem with this cpu comes in with cooling, and power delivery from the motherboard.
The cpu will get hot if the cooling isn't big enough, and if the mobo can't handle its power draw, the VRM on the board will throttle and drop the cpu's speed, even though the cpu isn't observed to be running hot.