Question Stuttering in games

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
I've tried as hard as I can to not invest any more money into my pc to stop the stuttering I'm having in my games but I think I'm gonna have too. During the witcher 3, Far cry new dawn, apex legends, and many other games I get random stutters and I can't work out why. I think it's because I have 8gb of ram but I'm not really sure. My Pc specs are Gtx 1060 6g, Ryzen 2200g, Asus Prime a320m-k Motherboard, 1Tb HDD.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes ram. What hdd/ssd do you have and how full?

Those games with 8GB can cause high drive / pagefile activity for more virtual memory and if not an ssd to help virtual memory speed somewhat, an 7200 and more so 5400 would make stutters worse. When the drive gets involved it isn't fun.

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
Yes ram. What hdd/ssd do you have and how full?

Those games with 8GB can cause high drive / pagefile activity for more virtual memory and if not an ssd to help virtual memory speed somewhat, an 7200 and more so 5400 would make stutters worse. When the drive gets involved it isn't fun.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that my HDD is actually an external 1Tb hard drive. My main hard drive is 240gb and it only has 30gb free but my external HDD has 67.7gb free.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, certainly is. Your Game's directory is always uploading files to memory at various times and that'll stutter when the ext hdd is used to transfer anything. Ide/sata is much faster than usb and the former slows a system down too much as it is.

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
oh okay, thank you so much you might have just saved me a lot of money as well. Sorry to waste your time just one more question, once I get a decent SSD what would you say the next pc part I need to upgrade is?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Its all good, would rather you come to Toms and ask questions instead of driving yourself nuts.

Another 8 gb ram would be very useful but be aware mixing ram may not work. Sometimes it does and has been done but there is a risk. Buying ram in sets is best for compatibility as they've been tested to be nice to each other.

Edited. Didn't say 8gb, just said gb.

Reactions: Shelton_04

TRENDING THREADS