[SOLVED] Stuttering in games

kris8360

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
Hi, can anyone help me solve this issue please?

If my HDD is connected to my sytem, every single game stutters and freezes every 5-10 seconds.
!!! Even if the game is NOT installed on said HDD !!!

My Specs:
Main OS Drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Game install Drive: Samsung 860 Evo 2TB
Movies, etc: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD <- this causes the stutters

Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 3070
32GB ram

The problem occured a couple of days ago, when I reinstalled windows on my main drive (970 evo).
All the games are installed and running on the other ssd (860 evo).

If the Seagate HDD is installed to my PC (connected to the motherboard with sata cables, and is inside the case), every game stutters, but if I disconnect it, the stutter is gone, 0 stutter.
It is a brand new drive, bought about 6 month ago.

Not sure why this happens, was fine before the windows 10 64 bit reinstall.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
What solved is, I removed the drive from steam library and added again, now the stutter is gone, and I can still have the HDD in my system.
Weirdest issue I have ever seen.

I was playing Elden Ring, for a week and I almost threw my computer out through the window, the stuttering was that annoying, literally every 5 second the screen froze for 1 second.

kris8360

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
What solved is, I removed the drive from steam library and added again, now the stutter is gone, and I can still have the HDD in my system.

I was playing Elden Ring, for a week and I almost threw my computer out through the window, the stuttering was that annoying, literally every 5 second the screen froze for 1 second.

Solution
Mar 16, 2022

How did u remove the drive, I experience same thing on different game.
Can show you me how.

Mar 16, 2022
Go to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders
Then click on the drive you want to remove -> Click on the 3 dots next to the progress bar -> Remove Drive
Then add it again with the plus sign
Thanks dud
Go to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders
Then click on the drive you want to remove -> Click on the 3 dots next to the progress bar -> Remove Drive
Then add it again with the plus sign
alright thank you, hope it works for me