Question Stuttering/Inconsistent Framerate with AMD PC

Jul 18, 2024
Hello everyone,

I have a PC that's not even 1 year old, and since i built it i've had stuttering/framedrops problems. I've never had this issue with my old pc.
I've tried benchmarks and stress tests to see if it would help detect the culprit but it didn't help.
I've even went as far as to buy new parts for comparison tests: a CPU, a GPU, a motherboard, a power supply, a new ram kit but the stuttering continued even with those new parts.
That left me even more confused, am i just having bad luck with components?
It was never doing this before, i cant even run an old game like Skyrim without experiencing insane frame drops for every steps i take.
I've updated the BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled the amd drivers, did a clean reinstall of windows after a disk formatting but still.. the problem persists for some reason.
Also every new game i play seem to stutter more then normal, like insane stutters every few seconds of gameplay and then it goes back to normal after half an hour. When i play with friends in a game i always ask them if they have stutters or inconsistent framerate and they always say no, that their game is running smooth.
I'd honestly just like to know what the problem is because after everything i've tried it seems like i can't find it.

Here's my specs:
CPU Ryzen 7 7700x
GPU Asus TUF 7800XT
Motherboard Asus TUF x670e PLUS Wifi
RAM G Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB 2 x 16 GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Disk 1 Samsung 980 PRO 1Tb
Disk 2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb
Disk 3 Crucial P3 500gb
PSU Corsair Rm1000x Shift 1000W 80+ Gold
OS Windows 11
Monitor AOC 24G2U/BK 1080p 144hz

I've updated the BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled the amd drivers, did a clean reinstall of windows after a disk formatting but still.. the problem persists for some reason.
Also every new game i play seem to stutter more then normal, like insane stutters every few seconds of gameplay and then it goes back to normal after half an hour.
Between this and the hardware changes, it seems like you've covered a lot of troubleshooting so far. I'm not confident that what I'm about to suggest addresses the underlying problem, but it might be worth trying.

Do a DPC latency test.

Are you using variable refresh rate? Setting on the monitor, setting in the GPU driver, vsync off in game?

A 7800XT is pretty OP for 1080p gaming. Have you tried setting a (global) refresh rate limitation of 140FPS (give or take). I typically set my FPS limit in the GPU driver so I don't have to remember to do it in every game.