Stuttering, is it the ram?

May 10, 2018
So my ram usage in games like rise of the tomb raider is 6gbs. I have 2x4 ddr4 2400hmz, but the pagefile usage is about 11000 mb or 12000mb.
My specs are: Rx vega 64
i5 7400 (i know that this cause bottleneck)
hdd 1 tb 7200rpm.
I have to upgrade the ram with another 2x4

Another thing, I did not change the thermal paste 1 year and 6 months ago. That may be another fact?

Solution
It's possible it's the RAM. To make sure you're not the fact that you're running out of memory or that it's possibly not the CPU still for a reason different than temps, drop your graphic settings so that your CPU usage goes down and your RAM usage get's lowered as well and see if you get any stutters.

Best way to immediately test is to just lower graphics to the lowest possible settings and if need be, dropping the resolution down to 720p.

If you still get stutters this way then it's possibly a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Don't understand what you mean to say when you say you did NOT change thermal paste.

You upgraded the RAM with a separate 2x4 kit. If this kit is sitting in there with your current 2x4 kit then I assume you mean to say you are now running 16GB with two different kits? This can cause issues. It's not recommended since these two kits were not bought together as part of a 4x4 kit so there is no guarantee they will work together properly. Mileage may vary.

As for RotTR using 6 out of your 8GB that's normal since that game uses quite a lot of RAM.
But after upgrading to a total of 16GB (and assuming your RAM is cooperating with each other) and you still get stutters, it could be CPU. Check to see if your CPU is bottlenecking at 100% usage. Also check the temps when under full load while gaming and see if they are too high.

CPU is usually the biggest cause of stutters. Lower your graphic settings to the lowest available to minimize CPU usage to a level that's not 100% and see if you still get stutters. If so, then it might not be the CPU. If the stutters do go away, then it is your CPU bottlenecking hard and I would recommend finding a balance of graphic settings that makes the game still look pleasing to the eye but reduces the load on the CPU.

May 10, 2018
I have not updated the ram yet. Maybe when I buy the 2x4 the stuttering disappears. What I want to say is that my pc uses more than 10gb in pagefile, is it normal ?. Also, I will change the thermal paste since a year ago I did not change it. I'll see if all that manages to solve the stuttering. In most games the processor does not reach 100% but the video card does.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Thermal paste won't do anything except possibly make the temps of your CPU lower. POSSIBLY. If the initial application of thermal paste is good then it won't do anything to the temps.
Also, I said to check you temps when under load. If they are too high then it's possible thermal paste could lower the temps.
It is also possible that the stuttering is due to temps being too high. But again, you should be checking on that. Also, even with a proper application of some good thermal paste, if you are using a stock Intel cooler it won't do you any good since the cooler itself is garbage.

But I'll say it one more time so it's clear, changing thermal paste as if it somehow fixes issues in games makes no sense. Thermal paste only effects CPU temps and only if the initial application of paste is bad and it's not your cooler that sucks.

The only possible way doing this could remove issues like stuttering in games, is if your cooler is good but the paste is bad and your CPU temps are getting too high and it is causing thermal throttling on the CPU at which point a fresh and proper application of paste will fix the temp issues and thusly fix the stuttering, but ONLY if you have a good cooler and ONLY if the current paste is bad and ONLY if it's thermal throttling and THIS is what's causing stutters.

Otherwise, changing out the paste will do nothing for you. Absolutely nothing.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
It's possible it's the RAM. To make sure you're not the fact that you're running out of memory or that it's possibly not the CPU still for a reason different than temps, drop your graphic settings so that your CPU usage goes down and your RAM usage get's lowered as well and see if you get any stutters.

Best way to immediately test is to just lower graphics to the lowest possible settings and if need be, dropping the resolution down to 720p.

If you still get stutters this way then it's possibly a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

Solution
May 10, 2018
Tomorrow I will clean the whole pc. I hear broken audio sounds and I think it's because of the dust the pc has. Also I will buy more ram to the pc as well as change the thermal paste. I used the ddu to reinstall all the drivers of the video card and did not solve the problem. If after doing all that I do not solve it. Reinstall windows. The csgo in low resolution, stuttering xd

May 10, 2018
Update: I test the game (rise of the tomb raider) in resolution 720p with graphics in low. 0 stutters. The cpu was under 100% load
(In less resolution, the CPU has more load). Probably the issue is the ram. What do you think?. Tomorrow i will upgrade, and clean the pc.
I test the hard drive with crystaldiskinfo and it's okay

May 10, 2018
I think I fix it, i repair some windows files with the powershell and disable the windows 10 gaming option and the rise of the tomb raider stopped giving stuttering. The same in the csgo. I think gaming mode is the problem.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Interesting. Game mode shouldn't be an issue like it was when it first came out. In fact, with the latest updates for Windows for a little while now, disabling game mode in the registry (cuz you can't do it through settings anymore) resulted in worse performance from my system.

However, if you're referring to the Game Bar and other Windows Game Mode settings that you CAN disable, then yeah, you should be turning all of that stuff off.

May 10, 2018
I mean the bar that is activated with the windows key + the G key.
In some games like witcher 3 I still have a bit of stutter, as long as I disable V-sync. I guess this is already my CPU. Anyway, despite having solved the stuttering, I will upgrade the ram as soon as I can.
Thank you so much for help me

TRENDING THREADS