Question stuttering issue rtx 3070 and i7 11700k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2022
i have had my pc for a little bit now and i have had this problem where i get small micro stutters in games but i usually have high fps i have had this problem since before I switched to a i7 11700k and a new mother board and new ram and still have the problem its been a problem for a while have updated drivers wiped windows completely removed all over clocks i upgraded parts everything practically besides gpu and aio and still have this issue. my temps on gpu and cpu are all fine never go above 55 in games on gpu and cpu sits around 55-60 as well i have tried about everything i can think of, including a new psu new ram new mother board and new cpu but still no change in the problem any help would be amazing and really help me out.

system specs are:
i7 11700k
rtx asus 3070 oc ko eddtion
nzxt aio 240 cooler
corsair lpx 3600 mghz cl 18 ram
us z590-a prime motherboard
1tb m.2 gen 3 Samsung ssd for boot
1 tb m.2 gen 4 nvm Samsung ssd drive for games
and 1 tb ssd for random stuff

Yes, but what MODELS are they? Corsair has some very good and some particularly crappy models across their product lines. I don't THINK it's PSU related, but it certainly could be, and we never want to overlook the PSU right off the bat because every time I do it bites me in the rear and ends up being the problem and if I'd have looked that way to start with I could have avoided a lot of unnecessary troubleshooting.

Reactions: RodroX
Ok, well that's a good unit and plenty of capacity, so unless you're terribly unlucky and had one faulty PSU and somehow managed to get another one, it's pretty unlikely to be the problem. If it was two pieces of junk models, I wouldn't be too surprised, but since it's not, we count that out for now.

After you updated the BIOS, do you do a hard reset of the BIOS and then reconfigure any custom BIOS settings you needed or did you just update and let it ride?

Beyond that, below are my usual steps to take in this type of situation, before moving on to trying to find less common solutions.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

Make sure your system has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release. In cases where you DO already have the latest BIOS version, simply resetting the BIOS as follows has a fairly high percentage chance of effecting a positive change in some cases so it is ALWAYS worth TRYING, at the very least.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Second,

Go to the product page for your motherboard or exact laptop model on the device manufacturer's website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates. When it comes to the chipset drivers, if your motherboard manufacturer lists a chipset driver that is newer than what the chipset developer (Intel or AMD, for our purposes) lists, then use that one. If Intel (Or AMD) shows a chipset driver version that is newer than what is available from the motherboard product page, then use that one. Always use the newest chipset driver that you can get and always use ONLY the chipset drivers available from either the motherboard manufacturer, AMD or Intel.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

Fourth (And often tied for most important along with an up-to-date motherboard BIOS),

A clean install of the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Graphics card driver CLEAN install guide using the Wagnard tools DDU

And lAnd last, but not least, if you have never done a CLEAN install of Windows, or have upgraded from an older version to Windows 10, or have been through several spring or fall major Windows updates (OR if you have installed ANY, EVEN REMOTELY QUESTIONABLE SOFTWARE, ESPECIALLY ANYTHING THAT'S BEEN PIRATED), it might be a very good idea to consider doing a clean install of Windows (AND THEN NOT PUT THAT QUESTIONABLE OR PIRATED SOFTWARE BACK ON) if none of these other solutions has helped. IF you are using a Windows installation from a previous system and you didn't do a clean install of Windows after building the new system, then it's 99.99% likely that you NEED to do a CLEAN install before trying any other solutions.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10, the RIGHT way

Nobody said anybody was a noob. We don't act like that around here like some places.

If I ask a question, it's for a legitimate reason because I'm needing specific information to try to get at the root of the problem.

So, you have 32GB of memory? Is that 2 x16GB sticks or 4 x8GB sticks? Two sticks or four?

Also, take a look at this, and read what's there. There might be something which I'd as soon not have to just repeat since it's all said in another thread anyhow, that might be helpful if you haven't looked at these solutions yet at all.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...s-and-no-other-problems.3617382/post-21813899

No, you should only need that driver if you are using integrated graphics, and even then, it's not 100% necessary although it's a good idea to install it just in case you ever need to use the iGPU in the even something goes wrong with your discreet card it's already installed, because Windows has a satisfactory driver for Intel graphics to at least get you going if you need to get the more specific driver for it.

I'd just install it anyhow ahead of time. Won't hurt anything and might help at some point.

Ok, so since you have two sticks, called DIMMs, EXACTLY which two DIMM slots on the motherboard are they installed in? They should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth slots to the right of the CPU socket.

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I'm also having some random micro stutters with Intel i9 10850K and RTX 3060 Ti and can't find a solution why. I disabled the Windows Game Mode which helped a little bit but it didn't get rid of the issue completely. I don't have any drivers manually installed, only using Windows update.

I'm also having some random micro stutters with Intel i9 10850K and RTX 3060 Ti and can't find a solution why. I disabled the Windows Game Mode which helped a little bit but it didn't get rid of the issue completely. I don't have any drivers manually installed, only using Windows update.

You might considering starting your own thread, even if for a similar issue, vice performing what is known as a 'thread hijack'..... :)

I don't think anybody would ever think they were alone with such an issue since micro-stuttering has been the bane of gamers for years and years, and I also do not believe that it is likely to be Windows 10 related since these kinds of problems have been around for ages and occur on Windows 11 as well.

Feb 9, 2022
i do have a 144 hertz monitor and im usaly way higher than that but its never been a problem until this problem started nor dose my freind have this prob and hes got a 3080

Beside everything Darkbreeze wrote

Can you write down a few games where you see this problem?

And how often are this micro-stutters that you get? Cause we all get micro-stutters every now and then.

Also would you mind runing https://www.userbenchmark.com/, and posting the ful result link here for us to see?

Lastly, have you tried to put a limit on your games for MAX FPS?
And in addition to all this, it would also be good to know what the model of your monitor is as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.