Question Stuttering/lag completely freezes game play ?

Oct 12, 2021
Hello, thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

I have a pre-built PC with the following specs:

Graphics card: GTX 1070
CPU: Intel i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz
RAM: 4 x 4GB DDR4
Motherboard: MSI Z710A Gaming Pro Carbon (MS-7A12)

Recently I will experience anything between stuttering lag and complete freezes during games, and would really appreciate some assistance in figuring out why I'm suffering from this. I've tried various things from making sure Java is correctly updated for things like Minecraft; Overall graphic card updates, game-ready drivers from Nvidia. Even when lowering the graphics in game doesn't seem to change anything what-so-ever. I've also tried things like factory resetting the PC back and physically cleaning the PC to rid it of dust, dirt and/or debris to make sure it wasn't overheating... (I have 2 cats and a dog. The hair accumulation in places in a small amount of time can be horrible...lol)

I've also done things like virus and malware scans, only to come up empty handed.

It's also not just while I'm in game. Sometimes while trying to watch things on Facebook or even watching people stream on discord causes lag to the browser itself and/or the PC in general. I've tried various browsers and nothing seems to change it. Even when I've tried playing on emulators, the lag is/can be intense. Even speeding up the emulator itself doesn't help it. Recent gaming community I'm a part of had a "Lets see who can speed-run this randomized Pokémon Soul Silver rom the fastest" event, and even while "running" in game, the character moved at no more speed than what they would if they were walking normally.

While playing things like Minecraft, I play on a modded server. When I first joined almost a year ago, I had no issue whatsoever. Now, while I'm playing, I may get 3-8 FPS while being away from everyone and out in the "wilderness" (Game has a few lore-based cities with quests and the like.) It makes it hard to build and enjoy the game. I also play Maplestory. While the game is terribly optimized, I've never had an issue until recently with it either. While using skills and training with people in game, my framerate drops to almost nothing. You can hear the sounds of skills in the background, and them being used all at once, but my screen freezes and sometimes I end up DCing from the lag it caused.

I'm not sure what else to do right now, and I wanted to try to post here before sending it in to a repair shop and seeing what they say. The PC itself is only 4 years old. Yes, I know this is hitting old age, however I've had PCs who have lasted much longer than this. I really need it to just last me out till the end of the year and I go about having a new one built. I don't wanna rage while playing games, but it's starting to become a toxic relationship with this thing.

If you require any further details please let me know and I will provide them to you.

Thank you for your time in reading and responding,
Yours Sincerely,
Elyri

Edited: Added more info

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age (4 years), condition? Heavy gaming use - correct?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Boot your system and open one of the tools. Just observe for awhile and then do some light work and browsing and continue to watch what the system is doing. Specifically what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource. Then play a game or two while again continuing to watch.

Remember that you are troubleshooting and not necessarily playing to win.

My initial thought is that the PSU is showing its' age and no longer able to keep up with the peak power demands of the system. Likely the PSU is nearing or even beyond its' designed in EOL (End of Life).