Stuttering/Lagging with a GTX 1050 ti

aggounaymen123

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Hello and hope you're having a good day
Anyway I have gtx 1050 ti 4gb oc from gigabyte and it's still new considering that I bought the computer about 2 weeks and half I think, it's pretty decent
It's not the best but it's good and my problem is I have stuttering and lagging and sometimes freezing on many games after these 2 weeks but, yesterday it was running fine (kind of) and then after a while it started dropping fps and stuttering when I started playing gta 5 especially when driving at fast speeds, and I thought it was the drivers so I checked on GeForce experience and found some new drivers, I installed them the same was happening after the new drivers
And gta 5 wasn't the only game that it happened with but it affected project cars 2, the witcher 3, watch dogs 2 and some other games that were working fine
So is the problem from hardware or is it the drivers or something else maybe ?
My Specs:
CPU:I7-7700 3.60GHz (boosted to 4.00GHz)
GPU:GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC
RAM:G.SKILL DDR4 1×8GB RIPJAWS V
HDD:WD BLUE 7200RPM 1TB

Solution
Have you been monitoring the game with afterburner (if not please do), what usages are you getting across your components.

Have you tried using driver sweeper/display driver uninstaller to wipe everything to do with your GPU driver wise so you can then do a clean install.

Also do you have Nvdia Experience by any chance as that has caused FPS issues for me as it changes setting even when i tell it not to.
I have no idea if this is similar to what i get but i have a GTX 1080 and no matter what game i play (except for Hearthstone) such as Dishonored, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 or Skyrim every ten minutes or so i will get a random fast frame hitch. From research it a known issue with the new GPU's and they have yet to fix it. Anyway my frame hitch isn't that bad as it mostly like my mouse is stuck for split second then carries on.

aggounaymen123

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

For me the fps drop starts from the beginning when the game is loaded
But I was getting over 60fps on the witcher 3 and gta 5 and some other games but now even after lowering the settings at first I get 60-70fps but when moving the fps drops to 30-40 sometimes it gets to 50 but with stuttering that drops it to 25fps and then comes back over and over

Have you been monitoring the game with afterburner (if not please do), what usages are you getting across your components.

Have you tried using driver sweeper/display driver uninstaller to wipe everything to do with your GPU driver wise so you can then do a clean install.

Also do you have Nvdia Experience by any chance as that has caused FPS issues for me as it changes setting even when i tell it not to.

Solution
The 1050ti is way too weak for a i7,it's pretty probable that the cpu under clocks because it only has to produce so few FPS,so the cpu basically runs in idle mode causing hitches whenever the cpu revs up or down again.
Go to control panel power options and put the profile to performance,do the same to the gpu from the nvidia control panel.

Since you "only" have 8Gb another cause could be the virtual memory,change it from the default which changes the size of the page file to a set amount since every change to the pagefile will cause a bottleneck from your hdd/sdd.

You may want to type that out a bit more plainly

aggounaymen123

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

Doing a clean install of the drivers fixed it not entirely because gta 5 and project cars 2 still has some freezing but mostly it’s fixed for the other games
I think for those two I’ll just wait for another new display driver or a game update would probably fix that
But thank you for the reply and the solution
EDIT: found out the fps drop in gta 5 was caused by a certain mod that controlled the traffic or something like that, but for project cars 2 it was the new update that made the game glitch and get some fps drop