[SOLVED] Stuttering on expensive rig, please help

Feb 10, 2022
Hi everyone, first time posting here but I've been having this problem for a few weeks and none of the possible solutions I've found have helped so here goes...

So essentially I've been getting stutters while gaming that last for about .1 to .3 seconds occurring after performing an action like shooting or right before hearing a gunshot. First off here are my specs:

Gpu: Rtx 3090 (pny)
Cpu: Ryzen 9 5950x
MB: MSI MEG x570 ACE
RAM: Teamgroup xtreem ARGB ddr4 64GB (4 sticks)
Power: 850w Core reactor gold
SSD: Seagate Firecuda 520 1tb ssd (25% free)

This all started for the first time a few weeks ago after downloading and playing escape from tarkov. Before that i had played mostly warzone and halo and didn't notice this problem at all (as of now I've had the rig for a little over a year). While playing i would get horrible stutters right as i would shoot at people or they would shoot at me. Even gunshots in the distance would cause my game to stutter, seemingly every time a NEW sound was introduced. I contacted Tarkov support and tried quite a few things to fix this including:

Lowering and raising in game settings
Closing all background programs
enabling AXMP
Reinstalling windows
Clean uninstall and reinstall of drivers (Realtek, nvidia hd audio and nvidia display drivers)
Changing from displayport to HDMI
Clearing caches
Changing nvidia setting to performance
Updating BIOS

There's probably some other things I'm forgetting but nothing has seemed to work. I've tried to monitor the behavior when it occurs and none of the numbers have stood out... in fact when the stutters happen the gpu usage actually drops slightly (as does the power percentage) but nothing seems to spike. I've tried to record the issue and it doesn't seem to show up on the clips while being clear as day during the gameplay itself.

I thought that it was limited to tarkov but recently its been happening on dying light 2 and Lost ark as well (usually when casting an ability or damaging an enemy) It also doesn't appear to be a gsync issue as I'm not running up against the frame limit of my monitor while playing Tarkov at least.

I have tried these games on my other computer (2080 ti and an intel cpu, not sure which one off hand) and there is no stutter, ruling out any connection issues.

There have been moments here and there where the stutters do not occur but they seem to be few and far between.

Also im not even pushing this system to the limit as i generally run on 1440p on medium settings on a 144 hz monitor... nothing is even close to maxing out.

Any help getting to the bottom of this would be really appreciated as this has been driving me kind of crazy... if any more info is needed id be happy to provide it. Thanks in advance!

Solution
when you say test you mean just test to see if the computer starts correct? Not test those speeds while gaming? Basically keep restarting until it fails?
First test, if you can load into windows.
After you find highest stable frequency, you should run some more extensive testing - like memtest86.
Also when setting the timings there seems to be an extra category in my bios, I'm assuming 18-22-22-22-42 is what I should be putting in? (Adding an extra 22)
Yes.
In some BIOSes - RAS# to CAS# is presented as separate values for read and write.
Then you just use the same value 2 times.
(cpu z shots)
Your ram is running at 2400mhz (instead of rated 4000mhz).
4000mhz in not guarantied to be achievable though.

You'll have to do some manual ram overclocking.
Go into BIOS and set
DRAM voltage to 1.35V,​
Latencies to 18-22-22-42,​
Command rate to 2T.​
Set DRAM frequency to 2400mhz test,
increase frequency and test again 2600,2800,2933,3000,3200,3400,3600,3800,4000mhz.

At some point it will probably fail. Then return to previous settings, that worked.
3200mhz should be achievable easy.

Feb 10, 2022
Your ram is running at 2400mhz (instead of rated 4000mhz).
4000mhz in not guarantied to be achievable though.

You'll have to do some manual ram overclocking.
Go into BIOS and set
DRAM voltage to 1.35V,​
Latencies to 18-22-22-42,​
Command rate to 2T.​
Set DRAM frequency to 2400mhz test,
increase frequency and test again 2600,2800,2933,3000,3200,3400,3600,3800,4000mhz.

At some point it will probably fail. Then return to previous settings, that worked.
3200mhz should be achievable easy.

It's strange that it would be running at that frequency considering I have axmp enabled isn't it? Even when I go into my bios it says the adjusted DRAM frequency is 4000 mhz... sorry I don't know much about this stuff but what am I missing here?

Should I turn off the AXMP profile and do what you said or leave it on?

View: https://imgur.com/a/jXSxIAQ

here's a pic of my bios screen for reference... its probably worth noting that when i restart from bios with AXMP enabled the computer tries to start then shuts down and reboots.

Last edited:
It's strange that it would be running at that frequency considering I have axmp enabled isn't it?
Even when I go into my bios it says the adjusted DRAM frequency is 4000 mhz... sorry I don't know much about this stuff but what am I missing here?
Not strange at all. Look at upper part of your screenshot.
It says DDR speed 2400mhz.
its probably worth noting that when i restart from bios with AXMP enabled the computer tries to start then shuts down and reboots.
That means - automatic ram overclocking is failing.
Should I turn off the AXMP profile and do what you said or leave it on?
Doesn't matter. You'll have to overclock manually anyway.
But it may be necessary to disable AXMP to enable manual overclocking. Depends on BIOS.
Do steps described in post #10.

Feb 10, 2022
Not strange at all. Look at upper part of your screenshot.
It says DDR speed 2400mhz.

That means - automatic ram overclocking is failing.

Doesn't matter. You'll have to overclock manually anyway.
But it may be necessary to disable AXMP to enable manual overclocking. Depends on BIOS.
Do steps described in post #10.

Okay going through that process now... when you say test you mean just test to see if the computer starts correct? Not test those speeds while gaming? Basically keep restarting until it fails?

Also when setting the timings there seems to be an extra category in my bios, I'm assuming 18-22-22-22-42 is what I should be putting in? (Adding an extra 22)

when you say test you mean just test to see if the computer starts correct? Not test those speeds while gaming? Basically keep restarting until it fails?
First test, if you can load into windows.
After you find highest stable frequency, you should run some more extensive testing - like memtest86.
Yes.
In some BIOSes - RAS# to CAS# is presented as separate values for read and write.
Then you just use the same value 2 times.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS