Stuttering playing Mass Effect 3 (Old Game!)

Dan Snake

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Hi,
I put together a new PC and started playing ME3 again with AMD driver settings tweaks and it mostly runs fine, running consistently around 50-60fps @1440p with driver SSAA and other post-processing effects active.

BUT in many areas it micro stutters frequently, and I haven't been able to figure out why. Afterburner shows in these instances the GPU usage is vertical lines jumping from 0 to 100 and back, but the core clock is only averaging around 550 MHz or so, staying consistently between 450-650 MHz and never close to hitting it's maximum 1110. Temperature is in the 40's so it's not throttling, and CPU usage is at 65%.

I read that it might be driver related or that AMD Powerplay might be causing it, I tried disabling the latter through Afterburner but my computer immediately BSOD and I had to uninstall it through Windows Safe Mode because it would BSOD at startup. Can anyone tell me the cause of the stuttering, and if there are any solutions to it? Or, if you can tell me why my PC is BSODing when I try disabling Powerplay, that would be appreciated too.

My computer's GPU is an XFX R9 380x. CPU is Intel i5-4590 and I have 2x4GB RAM.

Dan Snake

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016

I don't think I'm CPU bottlenecked. Sometimes I'll see one of the cores operating in the 90% range but for the most part they aren't under load, it's a pretty old game.