Dec 17, 2022
Hello,
I experience random stutters. That's basically it. Most of the time I observe them during gaming session because the fps counter also drops for a fraction of a second. There are other instances where I experience them, mostly when I open a program or a game, just after I double click it the stutter will occur (I randomly move my mouse waiting and that's how I noticed). Games where I mostly observe these stutters are League of Legends, CSGO, VALORANT (which should run flawlessly on such a build), Apex Legends, Warzone/ColdWar, probably because being competitive and being fully focused I immediately spot them.
Also tried with different refresh rates, from 60 to 240hz and it still occurs, granted - it's less noticeable on lower refresh rates.

PC SPECS:
Motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix B550-A
BIOS: 2803
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5900X
PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W v2 White Series
Display: I have 3 but my main is BenQ Zowie XL245K
240hz other 2 is on 60hz.
System Memory: Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance
GPU (VBIOS): GeForce RTX 3070 10 GB ASUS (VBIOS: 527.56)
SSD: Samsung 980 pro 1tb, Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
OS (Version): Windows 10 Pro x64 (Version 22H2 )
Storage: 1x 1TB SSD Samsung 980 pro for OS, 1x 1TB M2 SSD Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, 1x 1TB HDD for random storage
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm RGB
Peripherals:
Monitors: ZOWIE 25" XL2546 240 Hz, connected via DisplayPort (Primary); AOC 2460G4 144hz, connected via HDMI (Secondary): AOC2470w 60hz connected via hdmi (third,Portrait Flipped)
Keyboard: Logitech G PRO and Steelseries apex pro WIRELESS connected via usb C
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Headphones: Logitech G PRO WIRELESS
INTERNET: connected by a long cable into TP link TL SG105 and into PC. but have worked on another pc for over 2 years.
Troubleshooting:
  1. Enabling and disabling DOCP profile

2. Using different RAM frequencies

3. Installing AMD chipset drivers (with and without on fresh windows install)

4. Reinstalling graphics driver. Using Nvidia clean install, using DDU (safe mode, not connected to the internet), installed them using NVSlimmer. Also installed it without Nvidia HD Audio

5. Reinstalling Windows TWICE

6. Windows' Balanced (recommended)/High Performance power plans

7. Trying to uninstall AMD SATA AHCI Controller (I didn't have it and still don't have it but I looked for it)

8. Changing Communications Port (COM1)'s Flow control to hardware and disabling using FIFO buffers

9. Disabling Paging file, manually setting it, letting it on automatically

10. Disabling superfetch/sysmon service

11. Disabled HPET in Windows both in Device Manager and using cmd commands

12. Installed monitors drivers

13. Changed mouse polling rate from 1000 to 500

14. Disabling and enabling xbox bar, dvr, game mode, gpu scheduling, .exe's compatibility mode/run as admin/full screen optimizations/high DPI settings

15. Checked for driver conflicts

16. Checked for GPU IRQ/ASUS settings

17. Using only 1 monitor, each of them once (I had the 144hz one on my old build and everything was good, all peripherals too)

18. Plugging monitors in different DP slots

19. Disabling and enabling DDC/CI option of the monitor

20. Disabling and enabling AURA

21. Enabling and disabling RESIZE BAR

22. Disabling and enabling C-states

23. Setting Gear Down Mode to different values (2T fixed for some people)

24. Setting Power Supply Idle Control from Auto to Low Current Idle and Typical Current Idle

25. Undervolting CPU

26. Disabling and enabling PBO

27. Changing PCIe from Auto to Gen3 and Gen4

28. Resetting CMOS

29. Ran LatencyMon which showed a high DPC execution time on nvlddmkm.sys, thing that made me contact Nvidia support:

30. Tried without internet cable.
Other stuff..
  1. Enabling and disabling FreeSync

2. Enabling and disabling V-Sync

3. Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance

4. Low latency mode off/on/ultra

5. Nvidia Debug mode

6. Threaded optimization on/off

7. Hard capping fps to below refresh rate

8. Disabling all non Microsoft services

9. PhysX settings Auto-Select (recommended)/GPU/CPU

10. Confirmed that GPU is connected via 2 separate cables to PSU

11. Changing GPU slot (which caused really poor performance because the other slot was PCIe 3) and moving it back
None of the above seem to work. Indeed some make it better (the best scenario was using everything at default with DOCP enabled) and some make it worse, but the issue is always there.
I honestly don't remember more, but I definitely did some other things as well. I will update as I remember or as suggestions already tried come.
Temperatures are ok on both GPU and CPU. When I applied the thermal paste I used the dot.
It is specifically with the mouse. During random times, my mouse will begin to stutter. It almost looks like it's teleporting rather than gliding, making it hard to control. This has only been occurring recently, and I assumed it was an issue with my wireless mouse at the time. I assumed my mouse may have been on, or close to the same wireless 2.4G channel as my modem, so I bought a new mouse that utilizes Bluetooth built into my motherboard. After buying this new mouse, the issue still persists, eliminating it out of the equation entirely. This stuttering can happen with something as simple as Netflix running while scrolling Facebook, or Gmail, but it also happens when I am working. By career I am a programmer, and on any given day I can have around 20+ chrome tabs open, VSCode, Netbeans, Putty, FileZilla and so on. 98% during this time under this load, the stuttering does not happen. It seems to come out at random. Sometimes while working, sometimes while just browsing chrome. Sometime I'll go a week or so before it starts stuttering again. It only seems to last in short bursts, no longer than about 5 minutes long before it goes back to normal. My specs are not low-end by any means, as I need to have a pretty beefy computer in order to maintain top efficiency while developing. No wasting time waiting for stuff to load/compile.
NOTIS how much stutter i get when i move the ryzen app.
View: https://youtu.be/yF19q7Ij-7E

If any other thing comes through your minds please let me know, I'm at my wit's end. The problem is not game changing, as I mentioned it occurs only for a fraction of a second, but it's really annoying knowing that I have a high end PC and there is even a small problem.
Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer to observe system performance.

Observe using all three tools but use only one tool at a time.

Open the tool and simply watch until the system stabilizes. No stutters or other performance issues.

Leave the tool window open but drag to one side. Then launch a game or otherwise test as you have been doing to show the stutters. Hopefully you will see some change or other occurence in the tool window that corresponds with a stutter. May take some time and effort plus a bit of trial and error to spot something. Be methodical - change only one thing at a time.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Also watch for some change in what all is running. Or something else being launched and running in the background.

stuttering with three monitors where all monitors have different refresh rate is common, windows is not able to run three separate timers

how many of your monitors are used for gaming, and what you do while gaming with your other monitor(s)

you could probably avoid it it with fixed refresh rate, one monitor at 240hz, another at 120hz and third at 60hz, as those refresh rates can fit within single timer

next thing if game supports multimonitor setup in directX by using DWM and not directX api
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/directcomp/compositor-clock/compositor-clock
here you can read on what will happen if it doesnt supports it

Last edited: