Question Stuttering when gaming ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
I have a problem with my pc.Its stutter every time i see something new in a game and dont stutter anymore until i restart the pc.Then again the same.Like for example Witcher 3.It's stutter while i go throw Novigrad And when i do it again it wont.Some games like FORTNITE are unplayable.When the problem occur on the GPU usage,core clock,power draw and voltage goes down and because of that it stutter.I think is something with the loading of the assets.The problem start slowly and gets worse over time.All games are on SSD.OC is freshly install. GPU is been check 2 times in a oficial servis and its ok. CPU gives normal benchmarks.I want to know what can cause such a problem. Thank you.

Gigabyte B460 HD3 Motherboard
i5-10400f
Asus Tuf RX5600XT
T-FORCE DELTA RGB 2x8 ram 3200mzh Cl 16.
512 intel NVME for OC
1TB SSD Samsung Evo for games
Kolink 600w 80+bronze PSU
Windows 10 Pro

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
I am very very thankful for the answers you give me but i am 100% sure that is not the PSU.When i start a game like Cyberpunk 2077 or Red Dead Redemption 2 don't stutter so much like for example Call of Duty WWII.I think is because some game load more assets from the SSD.That is whear that stutter hapen i think.The power consumption in cyberpunk 2077 is way more than in Call of Duty WWII.But it runs better.That is for the suttering problem.
For the FPS drop...i use to have that problem but it got FIX in a pc shop.After that i qflash the bios and the problem star again.I run some more test and the result are the same.I start the pc and macke the benchmark...good result.Play some time and when i macke the bench again...bad result.All temps are normal.
And please tell me after i reinstal OC and QFLASH the bios whear can be left some information.I am very sorry if is been some mistake in the writing but is not my native language.Thanks.

g-unit1111

Titan
I am very very thankful for the answers you give me but i am 100% sure that is not the PSU.When i start a game like Cyberpunk 2077 or Red Dead Redemption 2 don't stutter so much like for example Call of Duty WWII.I think is because some game load more assets from the SSD.That is whear that stutter hapen i think.The power consumption in cyberpunk 2077 is way more than in Call of Duty WWII.But it runs better.That is for the suttering problem.

Stuttering is usually attributed to a GPU driver problem, so that can really only be corrected with driver updates. But again too it probably points to your GPU not getting the adequate power it needs to function properly. That Z-grade PSU you have in your system definitely isn't helping things.

It would definitely not be an SSD problem because the job of the SSD is to store files and load them, and that's about it.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Another aspect to consider as possible is what manner of sync you are using on which monitor.

Your card will be looking for FreeSync. Do you have a FreeSync capable monitor?
If not it's likely going to be on V sync. If so are you setting the games in question for that specific sync and/or setting an appropriate FPS limit?

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for the answer...I try every driver from december 2020 til now.The latest AMD driver report more memory are being use in games...6100,while the rest of the driver go max to 5787.I dont know if is a mistake or it realy unlock more GPU memory...but its not the driver.For the V sync-i try every posyble sync i got.On the monitor to.Someting just macke the GPU usage to go down and from thear stuter apear.
And as i say on very demaning games such RDR2 and Cyberpunk it dont stuter so much licke for example Call Of Duty WWII...which is not more demanding game like the rest.So if its a power isue will be wors on the more demanding games...Fortnite for exaple is sow bad thath i can even play anymore.Even on low and its not the internet.
Someting whit the loading of the astest its the problem i think but i duuno what.And please tell me can it be on the CMOS someting wrong...like virus ot someting goes bad.
And VERY VERY sorry for my wrighting but english its not my birth language.Thanks.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for the answer...I try every driver from december 2020 til now.The latest AMD driver report more memory are being use in games...6100,while the rest of the driver go max to 5787.I dont know if is a mistake or it realy unlock more GPU memory...but its not the driver.For the V sync-i try every posyble sync i got.On the monitor to.Someting just macke the GPU usage to go down and from thear stuter apear.
And as i say on very demaning games such RDR2 and Cyberpunk it dont stuter so much licke for example Call Of Duty WWII...which is not more demanding game like the rest.So if its a power isue will be wors on the more demanding games...Fortnite for exaple is sow bad thath i can even play anymore.Even on low and its not the internet.
Someting whit the loading of the astest its the problem i think but i duuno what.And please tell me can it be on the CMOS someting wrong...like virus ot someting goes bad.
And VERY VERY sorry for my wrighting but english its not my birth language.Thanks.

The PSU might not be the problem here but the PSU is a problem. It should be replaced as soon as possible.

And again, a BIOS virus is extremely rare and when they do exist, they're usually ransomware. It makes no sense to worry about a highly unusual thing when you haven't properly eliminated more likely problems.

It's also a problem that a PC shop did some sort of "fix" and you have no idea what, so we're missing crucial information.

Hello Avares , with all due respect as others have pointed out your psu seems to be the cause of your problems but if you are still convinced you have a virus here are a few basic checks to carry out.

1. Look in start up menu for things you dont recognise.
  2. Do the same in add/remove and programs and features.
  3. Run windows defender because during a scan it sometimes finds things that other programs miss. I dont leave it running in background i just use it once a week as a scanner.
  4. Run adw cleaner by malware bytes.
  5. Obviously run a full antivirus scan.
  6. Run Malwarebytes and if it finds anything run it again after quarantining what it finds , this is because items are made up of segments and not all items are found and identified on first pass , repeat this until it finds nothing.

I run Kaspersky paid for anti virus. If i visit a site with suspect content i either get a warning or get kicked off. The same applies to downloads , if my av suspects anything bad is tucked away inside the download it is automatically destroyed before it even finishes. Their are of course things called false positives , sometimes your av gets it wrong , if you are 100% sure that what you are doing is safe you can customise your av to exclude it.

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for the reply.Ok but can you somehow explain to me HOW ON CYBERPUNK AND RDR2 RUNS BETTER THAN ON LESS DEMANDING GAMES.It makes no sense to me.Please give mi some logical explanations on that.Thanks.

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for the reply.I just run every posible antivirus program that i know and noting.If its not a virus i will not risk to bye a new PSU because i am not shure that this is the problem.And i still whait for some logical explanation on how on RDR 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 runs better than on Call of Duty WWII since the last game is less demanding.How can this be from the PSU...Thanks

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Hello.I have a very strange problem with Kingdom Come Deliverance.When i stand on one place the fps i good(so to say).But if i start to run and turn back at the same time the fps goes down 10-12.Then when i stop movieng i goes back to normal.I got that problem only on that game...For exaple Cyberpunk 2077 which is also very demanding game dont have problem.If anyone know for what it could be please write me.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for the reply.I just run every posible antivirus program that i know and noting.If its not a virus i will not risk to bye a new PSU because i am not shure that this is the problem.And i still whait for some logical explanation on how on RDR 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 runs better than on Call of Duty WWII since the last game is less demanding.How can this be from the PSU...Thanks

This is absolutely backwards. It's not a risk to buy a new PSU, because you should have a better quality PSU even if you had no FPS problems to begin with. So it's an obvious thing to do since it should be done anyway.

There's not much else at this time to suggest simply because it's been difficult getting specific information from you. Whether the cause is a language barrier or not, you haven't answered most questions about your PC's behavior, and that makes things a lot harder to diagnose.

Last edited:

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for the reply.I have few threads because nobody manage to help me with something specific.Or they don't answer the questions i ask.And i think its a risk because it will cost me alot of money(for my standards)without to have guarantee for success.I when i know how much money i trow on that pc...and its not fix...i can't risk.But thanks for the help...As for the information...I will answer everything you ask about the pc.Thanks.

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Hello.I Wanna show you this video of some of my problems about the games stuttering and FPS drop.I know i got a lot of threads but as i write i don't receive solution of the problem.This is videos on Kingdom Come but i got the similar problem with Days Gone.I know that the settings are a high,but it doesn't make much of a different on what settings i run the game.On games like Cyberpunk 2077(which is very heavy to run game)i dont have problems.All that stuttering and frame drops getting worse over time.I watch on You Tube the same processor but with 1650 super running like charm.Hear some links:
View: https://vimeo.com/672678847

View: https://vimeo.com/672678044

Last edited:
can you somehow explain to me HOW ON CYBERPUNK AND RDR2 RUNS BETTER THAN ON LESS DEMANDING GAMES
different games use different engines that affect different aspects of systems in different ways.

some may not be optimized the same way as others, some may require more power draw than others, some run better with different driver packages, some run better with different manufacturer's cards(Nvidia/AMD), some may require a higher-end processor than others to maintain the same performance, etc...

and Kingdom Come: Deliverance is not a LESS demanding game.
it requires more CPU usage than the majority out there and taxes GPUs harder than many much newer games.

but no matter how much you argue or create new threads it will not change the fact that your power supply is the most likely culprit for all of the issues you have encountered.
until you have upgraded to a decent model there is nothing else anyone can offer you for advice.

Can you recommend some PSU
search your local/preferred marketplaces for those in the top tiers of this list:

Reactions: Nighthawk117

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
I want to inform you that i make a test with heaven benchmark and cinebench R20 running at the same time.The combine power draw was around 180 watts.When i play game like Kingdom come(which stutter the most at that point) the power draw from the CPU and the GPU is around 140-150 watts.Since is way less that on the test with the Cinebench and Heaven it must mean that the system have enave power and it's not the PSU the problem.Please answer my question so i can decide to buy a new PSU or something else.Thanks.

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Since the power draw from the Cinebench R20 and Heaven Benchmark( from the CPU and GPU the draw is around 180 watts )is bigger that the power draw of Kingdom Come( From the CPU and the GPU is around 140-150 watts ) then this must mean that is enave power for the system and its not the PSU the problem?
Is it like that or not.
It's difficult for me to wright because english its not my birth language.Sorry.

Avares

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Please can somebody answer my question so i can know if should buy a PSU or not.
As i wright combine power draw form 2 benchmark is around 180 watts.There is no problem on the 2 benchmark.On kingdom come its around 140 wats.Wich is around 40 wats less which is mean that there is enave power.IS THIS MEAN THAT IT'S NOT THE PSU.Please answer my question so i can know what to do.Thanks.