stuttering while in game and not in game

Oct 18, 2018
so i have a 970 and a 8350 with a msi motherboard and using a tv screen since my monitor is broken. I just updated my nvidia drivers and restarted my pc and now my pc stutters while i am in a game and while i am watching a youtube video or typing this. Before i updated my drivers my pc never stuttered and sorry if non of this makes sense im not very good at typing.

and also my buddy been telling me to do things to try and fix it like redownloading older drivers

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Common issue with windows update and new nvidia drivers that include stuff for the new RTX cards.

Go to nvidia, look up your card drivers, but choose a set that's 2x older, download and save the file, don't choose 'Run'. When installing, use 'Custom' install option. On next screen is a option for 'Clean' install, use it. This will erase any current nvidia drivers and links in registry only allowing the new set to install.

Should get rid of the stutters. If it does, then do not install the newest set again, turn off any nvidia auto-update, and wait till nvidia releases a next version which should be fixed. If that creates stutters, then go back to the set of saved drivers you downloaded and repeat the above.

The core drivers don't change, most of the new release stuff is upcoming game optimizations and gpu bios fixes for new cards, so latest drivers are not always necessary.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Happens to me every three or four Nividia Driver updates, very frustrating. Uninstall the updated drivers and install the last version. What driver have you installed ? 411.70 or 416.34 ? If one messed up install the other, these are the last two drivers released by Nvidia.

EDIT: And then just read the answer above :) Sorry mate, best solution by Karadjgne

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Have you installed any new software between when you last noticed it without the stutter and now ? It is very frustrating !!!

Have you tried a system restore to a point just before this issue occurred ?

TRENDING THREADS