rtx 3060 duel 8gb white oc from asus
r5 3600
asus prime b550m-a
Aresgame 600w bronze psu
acer SA240Y 75hz
samsung 980 nvme m.2 ssd
2x8gb corsair vengance lpx 3200mhz
hdmi 2.1

So i've been having stuttering issues for a long time but i assumed it was because my old pc build was just bad but after i upgraded to a 3060 i still have the same problems.

before the 3060 i had a 960 and just assumed it was because it was a 2gb 960 that i had in an old tower just to use till i get a new gpu and i was bottlenecking my cpu with a r5 3600 (i'm somehow getting way more stuttering than the 960 in some places) i also assumed it was because i could only use vsync as well and couldn't use any freesync or gsync and have read that vsync can cause stutters.

i'm having an issue where if my monitors not at the native frame rate it looks jaggy an weird and stuttering and i've talked to multiple people on it an they said they dont even use any syncs unless there's tearing and their game looks just as smooth as mine should be and i'm confused.

if i were to uncap my fps i might as well play on 30fps and if i were to cap my fps without vsync it would be the same so im pretty much forced on vsync or triple buffer even if i cap fps on rivatuner to make frametimes lock at 16.6ms.

my temps never go above 75 and i have around 60-65 on elden ring on high settings so i don't think thats it either. as for usage i haven't seen the gpu or cpu even touch 90%, the only time i have is my cpu was at 100% usage loading ESO then it never happened again.

on kh3 i somehow hit 40fps on high settings during that little heartless tornado boss when you go to twilight town which was interesting.

i've found stuttering on almost every game i've played on even geometry dash somehow and nothing worked after i messed with the settings.

drivers are all up to date, my bios was updated when i got the motherboard early this year and xmp is on. i did a lot of googling for the past 2 years and tried a bunch including fresh installation of windows but nothing is really working.

the only thing that hasn't been changed is my acer monitor so because of that i'm thinking the whole issue where 59fps looks way different then 60 (and because i keep dropping to 59) gsync an actually having a wide vrr range would fix this other then that i can only guess it could be because my psu.

my friends who play with me have told me that its impossible to see the difference between 60fps an 59fps but if i were to cap my fps to 59 it would be smooth then a slight chug for half a second when i move my camera in all games.

rn i'm locking myself to 60hz on a 75hz monitor because if i were to do native 75hz any game like a fighting game thats locked to 60 will look crazy because its not the native refresh rate.

i'm seeing some graphical errors on youtube some were caused by google acceleration mode an some are just there but can be a bit hidden by adjusting brightness an color settings.

i'm looking into getting a asus g-sync compatible monitor in the hopes that i'll find some change but if anyone is able to tell me the real problem hopefully i don't need to buy it.

(edit) i also tried to use adaptive sync and it didn't really change anything either

any help or advice is appreciated

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023
to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

BIOS is still up to date?
latest version is 3205
i updated my bios around Jan this year. i can update it again if i need to but i got stuttering after i updated it in Jan so i didn't think much of it writing this post.

the constant stuttering has been happening for 2 years so i've slowly been upgrading to get rid of it but even after i got everything going the only thing that really changed was my games aren't on lowest possible settings.

also i ran the userbenchmark but i'm not really sure what im looking at to be honest. i've never really used this before
uhhh.PNG

Sep 4, 2023
I would start by getting a decent power supply.
is a psu impactful enough to do that on things that don't take much to run or will a psu impact performance based on how hard it is to run? if it just impacts everything then that would explain something like geometry dash running kinda choppy. also do you have any recommendations that isn't anything over 200 CAD?

update you BIOS, yours is outdated from January 2022

restart windows

clean boot

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

update to latest nvidia.com drivers

something´s odd with your GPU in the benchmark, is the GPU installed into the 1st PCIe x16 slot of the motherboard?

Sep 4, 2023

restart windows

clean boot

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

something´s odd with your GPU in the benchmark, is the GPU installed into the 1st PCIe x16 slot of the motherboard?
just updated latest bios and nothing really changed.
i do want to leave clean boot to a last resort if the psu or any other part that gets recommended doesnt work unless im able to keep my files while doing it then idm. there's only 1 pcie x16 slot on the b550m-a when i look at it so i think i'm good there.

i'm still not sure about the answer to the psu being able to cause stuttering. some people say no some say yes.
i'm also wondering if a g-sync compatible monitor would fix anything because i do see people say vsync can cause stutters so idk. a lot of my fps drops are either 59 or 57 with some rare 55's. it's easy to spot because of what i'd assume would be not having vrr range on this monitor so i can notice anything that isn't native refresh rate unless i'm misunderstanding how that works idk

You have 14% and 45% background CPU usage in those tests.
That is why a clean boot was suggested.
Nothing is removed or lost.
It starts windows without all of the background programs you have running.
So we get a better Idea how your system is really performing.

Do you have your monitor connected to the graphics card??? Or motherboard port?? neither test showed your video card.

Sep 4, 2023
You have 14% and 45% background CPU usage in those tests.
That is why a clean boot was suggested.
Nothing is removed or lost.
It starts windows without all of the background programs you have running.
So we get a better Idea how your system is really performing.

Do you have your monitor connected to the graphics card??? Or motherboard port?? neither test showed your video card.
it's connected to my gpu. I'm not sure why its not showing my gpu is there a setting for it in the software i can look at?

Sep 4, 2023

restart windows

clean boot

check windows integrity
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

ran the clean boot, dism and sfc scan then benchmarked. sfc scan did repair some corrupted files so that's good but the user benchmark is now at 62%. i ran a few more and found one that was in the 90's and one that was 84% is that bad?

here's the 84% https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/64025484

Sep 4, 2023
check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturer´s tool and if available, update the firmware

Have a look what background apps are running, maybe windows is performing updates or something is odd
might've been an update i could do another clean boot. also the hdd's firmware is pretty hard to find it was from an old computer. thinking about it its possible the hdd might cause stuttering even when games are on my ssd running bad.

i have my ssd as my boot but i copied my hdd over to my ssd thinking i could just get rid of the hdd all together since it was from old computer that started this nightmare but decided to keep it for space anyway and was afraid deleting the system files might cause something bad to happen so i just left it.

eventually if nothing works im probably just gonna wipe everything and keep windows and all operating system stuff on the ssd only.
if it turns out it actually is this thing it would probably be best if i just dealt with the 1tb of space and get a 2tb ssd later.

through the entire 2 years (almost 3) of this problem the only thing that has not been taken out is my 75hz monitor which will soon be 144hz and my hdd i figured id just keep it for space because why not but if having the system files on the hdd is actually the problem i might as well use this bum ass disk as a skateboard or just put really really low end games and software on it