Question Stuttering with RX 580 ?

Nov 15, 2021
Hi, I have an issue in every game that when I look at new textures/particles I'm getting stutters and GPU load drops to 0%. I think that my PSU is a problem. Here is my specs:
GPU - RX 580 8gb asus arez dual OC edition
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz 1.2v (tried to run at stock, but still the same issue)
MB - gigabyte b450 gaming x
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 2x8g 3600mhz dual channel
drives - SSD 120g and SSD 500g
PSU - Cougar STX 700w

The reason why I think it`s PSU because it making crackling noise or something like this. And my GPU also have coil whine.
Also the temps is good, 60-68 CPU and 68 GPU
Thanks a lot!

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Does your PC crackle all the time while it's on? Or only under load/gaming? You mentioned coil whine, so this is where I'm wondering if it's a GPU problem instead of a PSU problem.

If it crackles ALL the time whether or not your computer is under load, then yes, it's likely a PSU going bad...if that's the case, don't wait much longer to get a replacement. A bad PSU can ultimately cause systemwide damage.

If it crackles only while under load, your GPU has some sort of defect. Cleaning it out might be in order at minimum, if this is the case.

Have a great day!

Nov 15, 2021
Does your PC crackle all the time while it's on? Or only under load/gaming? You mentioned coil whine, so this is where I'm wondering if it's a GPU problem instead of a PSU problem.

If it crackles ALL the time whether or not your computer is under load, then yes, it's likely a PSU going bad...if that's the case, don't wait much longer to get a replacement. A bad PSU can ultimately cause systemwide damage.

If it crackles only while under load, your GPU has some sort of defect. Cleaning it out might be in order at minimum, if this is the case.

Have a great day!
Thanks for reply!
Yes, crakling is without load too, but sometimes it dissapears even under load. Coil whine is under load only. Also I think I need to mention that one day I turned on my PC and what I saw is just white noise like on old TV.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Yes, I have my old 1050 Ti. I need to test for stutters on it, right?

I would suggest so, yes. In this manner, you can much more easily potentially eliminate your GPU as being the cause of the crackling.

Whenever you might do so, make sure you use DDU to completely remove all traces of AMD drivers before swapping out your RX 580 for the 1050Ti.

Hope it all goes well!

Nov 15, 2021
I would suggest so, yes. In this manner, you can much more easily potentially eliminate your GPU as being the cause of the crackling.

Whenever you might do so, make sure you use DDU to completely remove all traces of AMD drivers before swapping out your RX 580 for the 1050Ti.

Hope it all goes well!
Sorry for not replying, but i finally made it to my 1050Ti and installed it. The crackling is not gone as well as stutters, so the crackling is PSU and stutters is PSU too probably (but maybe CPU)

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
No worries...Life happens, ya know?

Yep, I'd say pretty definitely that you've eliminated the GPU as the cause, so yes, I'd focus on replacing the PSU. ASAP. No need to risk damaging your components from a bum PSU.

Glad you found it!

Nov 15, 2021
No worries...Life happens, ya know?

Yep, I'd say pretty definitely that you've eliminated the GPU as the cause, so yes, I'd focus on replacing the PSU. ASAP. No need to risk damaging your components from a bum PSU.

Glad you found it!
I installed new PSU just minutes ago and unfortunately stutters is not gone, so its my CPU causes stutters?
Is there any way to check it without replacing it?

Last edited:

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Yes, the crackling is gone.
Also interesting detail is when I clear shader's cache in radeon software the stutters returns even on already loaded models. And capping fps on 60 reduces stutters.

That's a great stride with the crackling gone. So the PSU was the issue. where that was concerned.

So, I found a thread out there that had similar issues that you're otherwise describing...right at the top has several YouTube links embedded that solved the issues for this gentleman. Hopefully this will have similar fixes for you:

Nov 15, 2021
That's a great stride with the crackling gone. So the PSU was the issue. where that was concerned.

So, I found a thread out there that had similar issues that you're otherwise describing...right at the top has several YouTube links embedded that solved the issues for this gentleman. Hopefully this will have similar fixes for you:

Tried this one, doesn't helped unfortunately. I'm losing hope.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
How about your BIOS version? Is it up to date with your board? IIRC, some of the older BIOS versions that allowed the B450 chipset to operate the 3000 series had issues for a while as they weren't the best.

Is the Chipset for your MB up to date?

I'd try these before you go buying a different CPU. A PSU is one thing and can be returned if not a solution but a CPU might not be returnable (depending on the reseller)

Nov 15, 2021
How about your BIOS version? Is it up to date with your board? IIRC, some of the older BIOS versions that allowed the B450 chipset to operate the 3000 series had issues for a while as they weren't the best.

Is the Chipset for your MB up to date?

I'd try these before you go buying a different CPU. A PSU is one thing and can be returned if not a solution but a CPU might not be returnable (depending on the reseller)
BIOS version is not the latest but F50. I was thinking to update it but I don't have flash drive.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Also I have this PC from the summer of past year but I started encountering those stutters only in april of this year.

Understood. Oddly enough, things can go wonky later on down the road...chipset updates, Windows updates, etc...there are a hundred possible little bits of causes but keeping everything up to date can be a better way to keep some of those things off your back. I need to do a BIOS update on my own system, since mine is nearly a year old and there have been two updates since then. Microcode in the BIOS can help things perform better, especially if the board is a touch older (e.g., your B450).

Nov 15, 2021
Understood. Oddly enough, things can go wonky later on down the road...chipset updates, Windows updates, etc...there are a hundred possible little bits of causes but keeping everything up to date can be a better way to keep some of those things off your back. I need to do a BIOS update on my own system, since mine is nearly a year old and there have been two updates since then. Microcode in the BIOS can help things perform better, especially if the board is a touch older (e.g., your B450).
Definitely will try. Also I'm thinking if my SSD is an issue because some textures in some games loads slowly, they are blurry and only after 5-10 seconds they become fine.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Definitely will try. Also I'm thinking if my SSD is an issue because some textures in some games loads slowly, they are blurry and only after 5-10 seconds they become fine.
Potentially so. SSDs can lose their health over time. Found a link to free tools to check/monitor the health of your SSD: https://techviral.net/tools-to-check-ssd-health/

Also, CPUID HWMonitor has a category that will allow you to watch your drives' read/write rates.

Nov 15, 2021
Potentially so. SSDs can lose their health over time. Found a link to free tools to check/monitor the health of your SSD: https://techviral.net/tools-to-check-ssd-health/

Also, CPUID HWMonitor has a category that will allow you to watch your drives' read/write rates.
Well, I guess I found what is broken. Crystaldiskinfo says that my SSDs is in good condition but my C: drive is definitely broken. After closing a game everything becomes really laggy (task manager is barely opens) and my C: drive is being loaded up to 100% while it can work with maximum speed of 0.1 mb/s and this continues until I restart my PC.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Well, I guess I found what is broken. Crystaldiskinfo says that my SSDs is in good condition but my C: drive is definitely broken. After closing a game everything becomes really laggy (task manager is barely opens) and my C: drive is being loaded up to 100% while it can work with maximum speed of 0.1 mb/s and this continues until I restart my PC.
Ah ha! Okay...have you looked at Disk Defragmenter? If your C: drive is running at 100% all the time, it might be set to be constantly defragging. This actually happened to my mom's laptop for no reason a few months ago and slowed her machine to a crawl.

Type in Defragment and Optimize Drives on the Windows search bar and click on the app that comes up.
Click on the Change Settings button under Scheduled optimization.
On the box that pops up, uncheck the box that says, Run on a schedule. Click OK. Then close out of the Defragmenter.

Not sure why Windows even has this option anymore, but the Defrag routines only slow down the performance of the machine when that routine is running, and if I'm not too much mistaken, this would seem to be your likely culprit. Turning that routine off will forever stop Windows from defragging your drives, and using the C: drive resources in the process.

I do hope this works! This has had to have been extremely frustrating for you!

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015

Hey there! Just looking to see if shutting off the disk defrag worked for you...did it help at all?