[SOLVED] Stuttering within Games, On a High-End PC

Jan 9, 2020
Hi, I've recently upgraded my PC from the previous specs of:
I7 6700k cooled with a H100I > R7 3700X
MSI Gaming X 1080 TI > Still used
16gb, Corsair Vengeance RAM 2666MHZ C16 > Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHZ C18 (XMP is enabled)
Samsung 860 EVO 512gb >Kept used as my OS drive
ASUS ROG Hero Alpha > MSI X570 UNIFY
And a AX1200i > Still used

I had upgraded this system believing it was my CPU causing the Stutters within games, after determining from a forum previously found and even posted my own which someone told me it was probably the CPU. (Not on this site although) Although after playing new games on the upgraded system i've been left at a dead end to whether it was my old system at all or maybe rather my GPU or PSU? (Don't know if the PSU would cause stutters but its the only two components i've kept previous) I don't have any other components on hand to test either although.

If theres anyway to determine what it could be? Then that would be great. Thank you. I'll also gather videos of the stuttering with MSI Afterburner running to post when i have them ready.

Also if theres any other tools i can try to diagnose this go ahead.

Videos:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfBrIfr3PC4
(Code Vein)

Last edited:
Reactions: The Big Technowski
Solution
Well i ran Userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23660575 Thats my results, also dunno about drivers but i did install all my chipset ones, graphics etc. I've got high performance in windows so no worries there as i saw online that could help. But tbh i just think its my GPU cause it always happens when a game uses my GPU more then my CPU, for instance in games such as Minecraft where it uses my CPU more it doesn't stutter. But when i play something like Monster Hunter World all i get is stuttering and my GPU is at practically 100% usage.
Your 850 Evos transfer speeds are lower than normal, which could indicate either a driver issue or something wrong with the SSD. I could suggest buying a new SSD or trying...
Jan 9, 2020
I've just fresh installed the OS, and used DDU to remove the Driver and reinstalled the latest without GE while in safe mode. The PSU is a Corsair AX1200I. It still stutters.

Last edited:
16gb, Corsair Vengeance RAM 2666MHZ C16 > Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHZ C18 (XMP is enabled)
Now I'm no expert in RAM timings but I do know that using any XMP or any timing on RYZEN (or any PC) is not the best way to go, the CPU and the RAM have to be running at the correct ratio to each other otherwise pushing the RAM can have negative results.
You should read up on this and see if you can do something.
https://www.cgdirector.com/best-memory-ram-amd-ryzen-cpus-3600-3700x-3900x/
Also since the clip you showed has low CPU usage it means that only a few cores are highly loaded which in turn means that the CPU is trying to clock those few cores as high as possible,this could be causing windows to swap out the threads to cores that are cooler(lower clocks) causing a sudden performance loss until that core revs up.
Try locking all cores to the same clocks,go for base clocks (3.6Ghz) since you only want to see if this fixes the stutters.

Reactions: Wokka
Jan 9, 2020
Now I'm no expert in RAM timings but I do know that using any XMP or any timing on RYZEN (or any PC) is not the best way to go, the CPU and the RAM have to be running at the correct ratio to each other otherwise pushing the RAM can have negative results.
You should read up on this and see if you can do something.
https://www.cgdirector.com/best-memory-ram-amd-ryzen-cpus-3600-3700x-3900x/
Also since the clip you showed has low CPU usage it means that only a few cores are highly loaded which in turn means that the CPU is trying to clock those few cores as high as possible,this could be causing windows to swap out the threads to cores that are cooler(lower clocks) causing a sudden performance loss until that core revs up.
Try locking all cores to the same clocks,go for base clocks (3.6Ghz) since you only want to see if this fixes the stutters.
Not sure about the XMP part, i mean my RAM did have XMP disabled and i still had stuttering then, my first thought was to enable XMP within my BIOS to get to the rated clock of my RAM as previous it was just running at 2600mhz JEDEC speeds and it still stuttered, so i don't think its a RAM issue.

But i'll try disabling the boost clock for my CPU and see if thats what it could be. But if i recall i thought a low CPU usage just meant that your CPU doesn't need to ramp up usage cause its a more GPU orientated workload unless someone was telling porkies.

Jan 9, 2020
I think i've narrowed down the issue frankly, I've been playing other games including ones that i wouldn't assume would need powerful hardware to begin with. For some reason in all of those games The CPU usage always decreases to 0% when a stutter hits.

The only game i've tried that there isn't any stutter is Minecraft but if its true about it being a CPU bound game then it all points to my GPU being bad or being weird somewhere down the line. Problem is there any way of fixing it or should i just shell out for a cheap GPU till Ampere comes out?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I think i've narrowed down the issue frankly, I've been playing other games including ones that i wouldn't assume would need powerful hardware to begin with. For some reason in all of those games The CPU usage always decreases to 0% when a stutter hits.

The only game i've tried that there isn't any stutter is Minecraft but if its true about it being a CPU bound game then it all points to my GPU being bad or being weird somewhere down the line. Problem is there any way of fixing it or should i just shell out for a cheap GPU till Ampere comes out?

Are your games installed on the same drive as your operating system, your Samsung 860 EVO?

Jan 9, 2020
Are your games installed on the same drive as your operating system, your Samsung 860 EVO?
No, they're stored on a seperate SSD which is my old OS drive which was also a 860 EVO but at 250GB and some are on my mass storage which is my 3TB Seagate Barracuda, but after the reinstall of windows i've put the games i've tested on that seperate SSD.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
No, they're stored on a seperate SSD which is my old OS drive which was also a 860 EVO but at 250GB and some are on my mass storage which is my 3TB Seagate Barracuda, but after the reinstall of windows i've put the games i've tested on that seperate SSD.

Whatever applications you're running need to be on the same storage device as your operating system for the games to perform as intended. Try that first and see if it works. Just because you have them installed on another SSD doesn't mean its going to perform well.

Go to userbenchmark and run the program and post the webpage in your reply. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the transfer speed of your installed SSDs. You may be missing some drivers or possibly you need to change the power modes for Windows or just the GPU. https://www.userbenchmark.com/

Jan 9, 2020
Go to userbenchmark and run the program and post the webpage in your reply. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the transfer speed of your installed SSDs. You may be missing some drivers or possibly you need to change the power modes for Windows or just the GPU. https://www.userbenchmark.com/
Well i ran Userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23660575 Thats my results, also dunno about drivers but i did install all my chipset ones, graphics etc. I've got high performance in windows so no worries there as i saw online that could help. But tbh i just think its my GPU cause it always happens when a game uses my GPU more then my CPU, for instance in games such as Minecraft where it uses my CPU more it doesn't stutter. But when i play something like Monster Hunter World all i get is stuttering and my GPU is at practically 100% usage.

Your 850 Evos transfer speeds are lower than normal, which could indicate either a driver issue or something wrong with the SSD. I could suggest buying a new SSD or trying a different drive for your OS, but it might not fix the problem.

Solution
Tjäna Wokka,

Reading the whole story and watching the video you uploaded I tend to think that the problem is your PSU. Both CPU & GPU drops that might be indicating micro voltage drops whenever GPU demands increases at specific gameplay moments (CPU has very low utilization to cause this phenomenon).

All these with combination that you previous PC rig had the same problem and all that you kept was the Graphics card and the Power supply showcase as the main suspect the latter.

You can take out some burden from the PSU by removing all the storage & flash drives except the one that has the O/S installed and would check out if that fixed the problem.

Do the above and come back with the results.