[SOLVED] Stutters and FPS drops during gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
I have a high-end PC, yet my game always stutter or the FPS decreases randomly. If anyone has any idea on what the problem could be, please let me know. I have monitored my CPU and GPU during said stutters and the temps and usage seem fine. Last week, I overclocked my RAM from 2133mhz to 2666mhz and it seems to run a little better, but still not to my expectations.
My rig is:
GPU: Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 TI OC
CPU: Intel I7 9700K 3.6 ghz (I have it turbo boosted to 4.6 ghz)
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B360-H Gaming 2666mhz
RAM: Corsair 2x8 Gb 2133mhz (As I stated earlier, I have it overclocked to 2666mhz)
I also have a SSD and a HDD. Most of my games are on the HDD, but I tried moving them to the SSD and the only difference is that the games load faster. The stutters still persist on the SSD. The only thing I noticed about the HDD is that it goes to almost 100% usage when playing.

Last edited:

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
High end cpu yes
High end gpu yes
Mid end motherboard yes
Mid low ram yes

SSD or HDD?
what game are you playing
I already said in my message. I have both a SSD and a HDD. I mostly play them on a HDD, but I tested some on the SSD and it's still the same thing.
A few games I can think of are Batman: Arkham Knight, GTA5, Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, Boneworks for VR etc.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
Don't bump your thread like that.

Did a performance and/or health test on the hdd?
Antivirus check done?
I did do a health test and the HDD appears to have no problems. As for the antivirus check, I tried with 3 different antivirus programs and it's all clean. As for what Zoel.fahmi said, should I change my RAM? He said it's low-end but I have seen other people with an RTX use it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Where is pagefile set? On the ssd or the hdd.
When having a game on the ssd and disconnecting the hdd for testing does it get rid of the problem?

A lower speed ram can/will give lower fps, but can't say it would give stutters. Even then if it is overclocked stabel is it at the max this motherboard supports so little use in getting other ram. Should more likely mean getting a "Z" motherboard with <3200mhz ram.
Don't know if you get your moneys worth out of that.

have the latest bios?

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
I already said in my message. I have both a SSD and a HDD. I mostly play them on a HDD, but I tested some on the SSD and it's still the same thing.
A few games I can think of are Batman: Arkham Knight, GTA5, Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, Boneworks for VR etc.
These games are very hungry resources
especially for assassin creed that not fully optimized
what monitor are you using?

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
Is the RAM installed in the correct slots?
Yes, the RAM is installed in the correct slots.
Where is pagefile set? On the ssd or the hdd.
When having a game on the ssd and disconnecting the hdd for testing does it get rid of the problem?

A lower speed ram can/will give lower fps, but can't say it would give stutters. Even then if it is overclocked stabel is it at the max this motherboard supports so little use in getting other ram. Should more likely mean getting a "Z" motherboard with <3200mhz ram.
Don't know if you get your moneys worth out of that.

have the latest bios?
The pagefile is set on the HDD.
Disconnecting the HDD while playing on the SSD does nothing.
I have the latest bios.
These games are very hungry resources
especially for assassin creed that not fully optimized
what monitor are you using?
I am pretty sure that an RTX and an I7 should run those games flawlessly.
As for which monitor I am using, why would it even matter? I am just going to say that it's 60Hz.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
Use a program like MSIAfterburner to monitor and record what happens when you are gaming. When the FPS drops happen does the cpu speed (GHz) drop?
I already did that and no, everything seems in order when the fps drops happen. I tried everything I could find on the internet, but with no luck. I am thinking of replacing my RAM but I don't even know if it's the one causing the problem.

I already did that and no, everything seems in order when the fps drops happen. I tried everything I could find on the internet, but with no luck. I am thinking of replacing my RAM but I don't even know if it's the one causing the problem.
Sorry but I want to be absolutely sure, the cpu holds the 4.6GHz with no drops coinciding with the FPS drop?

My next step would be taking off all overclocking and see what happens.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
Sorry but I want to be absolutely sure, the cpu holds the 4.6GHz with no drops coinciding with the FPS drop?

My next step would be taking off all overclocking and see what happens.
Yes, the cpu holds 4.6 ghz with no drops.
About taking off the overclocking, I already did it, and my PC runs even worse than with overclocked components.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Yes, the RAM is installed in the correct slots.

The pagefile is set on the HDD.
Disconnecting the HDD while playing on the SSD does nothing.
I have the latest bios.

I am pretty sure that an RTX and an I7 should run those games flawlessly.
As for which monitor I am using, why would it even matter? I am just going to say that it's 60Hz.
60 Hz
Try rtx on

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
I'm not sure it's stuttering, I'm suspecting screen tearing because your monitor can't keep up with higher fps than 100
It's not screen tearing since I use NVidia GeForece overlay and I can monitor my frames with it. They go to almost 50 and then quickly go back up to 60. I use vsync cause if I don't I get screen tearing.
Tried Vsync on against Vsync off?

Maybe can upload a small vid to see what you mean?
I tried with both. With VSync on it goes from 60 fps to about 50 fps quickly, basically it stutters. Same with VSync off. It stays at about 120 fps and then when I move it goes to about 50 fps or even lower, then it quickly goes back up again. So no difference.

Last edited:

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
Don't think we talked about temperatures yet, so how are those?
The temperatures are also fine. I asked on other places as well about my problem, so that's why I already tried almost all of them. I am at a point where I don't even know what to do with my PC and I'm kind of mad and sad at the same time since I payed a lot for my rig.

SuperAceNr1

Reputable
Feb 9, 2020
I get that,somehow i hope we will find the problem.

Can you test the gpu in someone elses pc?
I tested it in one of my friend's rig, and if I remember correctly, there it performed flawlessly. My friend doesn't have a good CPU, but for what he has it performed very good. So, I don't think the GPU is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.