Stutters and FPS drops in game, I don't know why.

Aug 14, 2018
So, recently after installing and playing Forza Horizon 4 I've noticed large stutters and frame drops from my normal +60fps, I loaded up some other games also to see if they were getting stutters too, which they were (i think I never noticed it before as I though it was network lag). My gpu usage is at around 80%(gtx 1050ti with a stable memory and core overclock) and cpu usage under 70% (ryzen 5 1500x 3.5ghz @3.9ghz). There has been no thermal throttling as I have monitored the cpu, which has very good temps and the gpu has fine temps also.

But, as I was on task manager looking at the performance of Forza while benchmarking, looking for the problem, I notiec my Disk usage drops from high 90s to about 3 when a stutter hit. This happened a couple more times as the stutters repeated. Could this be the cause? (running from an HDD)

Any help would be appreciated as I am relatively new to PC's.

Thanks.

My ram usage is also quite high as I only have 8gb of ram, it is nearly all being used while I play. They are running at 2933 mhz and are rated for 3000mhz (corsair)

Aug 14, 2018

its quite a new hard drive, like a couple months old, do you think replacing it or upgrading would help?

(Western Digital Blue - 1TB)

Well' let's do more testing before getting there. Is your HDD full? Usually you need to leave 10% of free space for it to run faster.

What are your CPU and GPU temps while idle? And under load?
Also, what load are you getting while other and during heaving usage?

Also, did you by any chance move your PC (like moving houses) or dropped the harddrive. Because HDDs still have spinning disks and are pretty fragile.

Aug 14, 2018

So, the PC is very new, my idle temps are vbery good, 20-30 for cpu, around same for gpu.

uing aida64 extreme stress test, when cpu is under 100% load it does not throttle, gets to about 70 degrees. And gpu gets to around 80 degrees under full load.

I have not dropped the Pc or anything so there should be no reason for the HDD to be acting up

What about you HDD temps?

Aug 14, 2018

ok, so my hdd idle temp was 35 then i played for anout 15-20 mins on forza and only went up about a degree. I have used only 36% of storage of hdd also.

Have you checked if maybe there's there's a faulty wiring (could be as simple as a Sata power cable that's not properly all the way clipped). Is your HDD situated in front of a GPU fan or something?

I'm pretty confident the HDD is the culprit here. Do you have a different HDD or and SSD on this computer? Or even an external one? To check if you're also getting this problem on a different drive.