Question stutters and fps drops in games.

Sep 17, 2020
Hello everyone

So, this last month, I've been dealing with a pretty annoying problem. It started after I tried to make my cable management a bit cleaner. I’ve been experiencing weird fps drops on The Division 2: My game drops to 40 fps for 3 seconds then go back to it's normal frames. It happens 2 or 3 times at the beginning of a session and then everything is normal and runs smooth. It never happened in 160 houres. I thought that it was a problem with the Nvidia driver 457.30, but it still there 3 drivers after. Also, I recently started to have nasty stutters on Borderland 3, but since these 2 problems are different and did not happen at the same time, I doubt that the problem comes from my pc. It might be the case though.

Here’s all the things that I tried for The Division:

-Uninstall/reinstall the game
-clear Ubisoft Connect cache.
-disable Nvidia overlay, DX12 render and reduced latency.
-Verify then repair the game
-Tweak Nvidia control panel settings
-uninstall/reinstall windows
-playing the game on an other SSD
-unplug/replug all the cables that I touched

After all of that, the FPS drops still there. And it doesn’t seem to be because of my pc, I mean, why is everything running fine after the first 40 minutes of gameplay.

Here’s my config:

-CPU: Ryzen 3700x with the stock cooler
-GPU: MSI RTX 2070 super Gaming X
-Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
-RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 Go DDR4 3200 Mhz CL16
-PSU: Corsair RM850x Gold plus (850 watts)

As you can see, I can largely run The Division 2 and Borderlands 3 without problems normally (I play with everything on low btw).

And that’s it, thanks for your answers and if it is happening to you too let me know.

Have a great day.

CronoInferno

Commendable
Oct 18, 2020
Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles,

1. have you downloaded any software lately?
  2. Do you have any intense background apps?

Can you have task manager open when playing the games and when the fps dips can you notice anything different than usual like for eg. Its using to much ram when the fps goes down or another process is doing something

Sorry if none of these can help