[SOLVED] Stutters as CPU temp spikes

Sep 4, 2021
Hello all,

Lately I've been having stutters in games as Fortnite, FM21,... when my CPU temp spikes. It averages at around 50-55 Celsius, but then has a spike up to 65 Celsius which so happens to be at the exact same time as my stutters in game... I know these spikes arent anything major as my temp is still completely fine but the stutters bug me big time
Anyone can help me fixing this?

CPU: Intel Core i5 10.6k 4.10 ghz
Ram 16gb (games only use half of that, ive checked)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Super

All drivers are updated,

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
Oooh lmao

I tried playing with it off but doesnt help :/
Probably leaves behind some service too. Try uninstalling.
Have you kept an eye on CPU usage in Task Manager? At idle it should be around 1-3%.
Run Malwarebytes.
If that doesn't help, start removing everything non-essential. By this I mean stuff like Corsair software, NZXT etc. Even mouse and keyboard software. 1 piece at a time. Reboot and check for stutters in games. Try to pinpoint the cause. Could be a specific version of a program.
Hey there,

What power profile do you have selected? Try high performance or Ultimate. If you don't have those options on power plans, then you can activate them by doing the following:

open powershell and paste the following text: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

for ultimate paste this text: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

Try that and see if it helps.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Is that GPU usage a total of 45%? It should be in the 90%'s. How many PCI-E connectors does the card have, two? Connect two separate cables from PSU to the card if you haven't already.
Do you have chipset drivers installed? Whatever those are called on Intel.
Have you tried DDU? Removes GPU drivers completely, then you install new drivers again.
Do you have XMP enabled in BIOS for your RAM?

Sep 4, 2021
Is that GPU usage a total of 45%? It should be in the 90%'s. How many PCI-E connectors does the card have, two? Connect two separate cables from PSU to the card if you haven't already.
Do you have chipset drivers installed? Whatever those are called on Intel.
Have you tried DDU? Removes GPU drivers completely, then you install new drivers again.
Do you have XMP enabled in BIOS for your RAM?

Yes, MSI Afterburn program says total usage is 45% and it's been like that since the beginning I'd say. I have no idea what the PCI-e connectors are and how many I have :D I got my pc assemdbled by someone I paid to do it. I can find on google it has a 3.0x16, is this correct?

I'll look into the chipset drivers and DDU tomorrow

XMP is indeed enabled.

Let's see if your CPU will sustain it's clock speeds under a stout CPU load...

Install/open HWmonitor...

Then/install/run CPU-Z
Select 'Bench' tab, and run 'stress CPU' for 10-15 minutes

IN HWmonitor, note temps and clock speeds maintained on all 6 cores.

If you see clock speeds drastically lowering after 60-90 seconds, you might be seeing turbo duration limits. (You can try to disable boost duration and power limits within INtel's XTU)

Once done observing behavior, don't forget to click 'STOP' to end the stress test in CPU-Z.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Yes, MSI Afterburn program says total usage is 45% and it's been like that since the beginning I'd say. I have no idea what the PCI-e connectors are and how many I have :D I got my pc assemdbled by someone I paid to do it. I can find on google it has a 3.0x16, is this correct?

I'll look into the chipset drivers and DDU tomorrow

XMP is indeed enabled.
Oh, I wasn't clear. PCI-E power connectors. Can be 1-3.

Sep 4, 2021
Let's see if your CPU will sustain it's clock speeds under a stout CPU load...

Install/open HWmonitor...

Then/install/run CPU-Z
Select 'Bench' tab, and run 'stress CPU' for 10-15 minutes

IN HWmonitor, note temps and clock speeds maintained on all 6 cores.

If you see clock speeds drastically lowering after 60-90 seconds, you might be seeing turbo duration limits. (You can try to disable boost duration and power limits within INtel's XTU)

Once done observing behavior, don't forget to click 'STOP' to end the stress test in CPU-Z.
Nope, no drops. always around 4485-4490. Degrees were MAX 71. Most of the time around 65 degrees...

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
One 8-pin could that be it?
Yes, 1 x 8-pin power connector.
Seems like a weird issue. Is something else using GPU? If you sort Task Manager by GPU usage.
As said above, I would also suspect a disk drive, SSD, wherever you install games. Run Crystal Diskmark, see if you get roughly the advertised speed on the top test. And as a sanity-check when I have problems, I check for Windows corruption. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e
Checked for viruses/malware (Malwarebytes)?

Sep 4, 2021
Yes, 1 x 8-pin power connector.
Seems like a weird issue. Is something else using GPU? If you sort Task Manager by GPU usage.
As said above, I would also suspect a disk drive, SSD, wherever you install games. Run Crystal Diskmark, see if you get roughly the advertised speed on the top test. And as a sanity-check when I have problems, I check for Windows corruption. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e
Checked for viruses/malware (Malwarebytes)?
I did indeed have corrupted files and that fixed the spikes for now. lets see if they come back or not

EDIT: aaand they're back. my ssd is a kingston a2000 1000gb. it advertises 2200 read and 2000 write: these are the results ive gotten: View: https://imgur.com/a/5mHyIb4

GPU usage seems completely normal...

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021
Looking at task manager cpu usage does seem to spike toward the 90's when FM21 is simulating but for Fortnite it doesn't whatsoever spike closely to 70s even

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I did indeed have corrupted files and that fixed the spikes for now. lets see if they come back or not

EDIT: aaand they're back. my ssd is a kingston a2000 1000gb. it advertises 2200 read and 2000 write: these are the results ive gotten: View: https://imgur.com/a/5mHyIb4

GPU usage seems completely normal...

SSD looks to be performing as advertised. Football Manager is a CPU-heavy game, I'm not surprised.
Do you have MCE or something enabled in BIOS? Is the mobo overshooting voltage needed? Have you tried without powersaving? I've always ran without those, I'm not even sure what they do. Saves me like 5-10 watts, when I tested but PC's response becomes super-sluggish as soon as I want to do something.
GPU in Maximum perf mode in Nvidia ControlPanel? Tried changing Windows Powerplan? To 'High perf'.

Sep 4, 2021
SSD looks to be performing as advertised. Football Manager is a CPU-heavy game, I'm not surprised.
Do you have MCE or something enabled in BIOS? Is the mobo overshooting voltage needed? Have you tried without powersaving? I've always ran without those, I'm not even sure what they do. Saves me like 5-10 watts, when I tested but PC's response becomes super-sluggish as soon as I want to do something.
GPU in Maximum perf mode in Nvidia ControlPanel? Tried changing Windows Powerplan? To 'High perf'.

I already did all of the above, the MCE I'd have to check and will do later on. I'm on a desktop pc so no power saving for me. How can I check mobo overshooting voltage needed?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I already did all of the above, the MCE I'd have to check and will do later on. I'm on a desktop pc so no power saving for me. How can I check mobo overshooting voltage needed?
That will be hard to monitor without oscilloscope etc. So ignore I said it.
At this point, I would suspect a virus, a malware, a cryptocoinminer virus or similar. Unless you have installed Motherboard Utilities, anything from Norton, run 2 antivirus at the same time etc.

Sep 4, 2021
That will be hard to monitor without oscilloscope etc. So ignore I said it.
At this point, I would suspect a virus, a malware, a cryptocoinminer virus or similar. Unless you have installed Motherboard Utilities, anything from Norton, run 2 antivirus at the same time etc.
I do indeed use Norton,

Could it be that Fortnite is just terrribly optimised and it's random?

I played COD Vanguard for a game and didnt have a single drop and my guess is that game is way more cpu/gpu heavy

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I do indeed use Norton,

Could it be that Fortnite is just terrribly optimised and it's random?

I played COD Vanguard for a game and didnt have a single drop and my guess is that game is way more cpu/gpu heavy

Try disabling Norton. I doubt Fortnite is terribly optimized for your specific system only.
Do you know what Customer Supports first question was in 90s, 2000s if you had issues with responsiveness or performance? "Do you run Norton Utilities/Firewall/Etc? If yes, SHUT IT DOWN! Get that crap OUTTA HERE!"

Last edited:
Reactions: uWebb429
Sep 4, 2021
Try disabling Norton. I doubt Fortnite is terribly optimized for your specific system only.
Do you know what Customer Supports first question was in 90s, 2000s if you had issues with responsiveness or performance? "Do you run Norton Utilities/Firewall/Etc? If yes, SHUT IT DOWN! Get that crap OUTTA HERE!"
Oooh lmao

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Oooh lmao

Probably leaves behind some service too. Try uninstalling.
Have you kept an eye on CPU usage in Task Manager? At idle it should be around 1-3%.
Run Malwarebytes.
If that doesn't help, start removing everything non-essential. By this I mean stuff like Corsair software, NZXT etc. Even mouse and keyboard software. 1 piece at a time. Reboot and check for stutters in games. Try to pinpoint the cause. Could be a specific version of a program.

Solution