[SOLVED] Stutters/Hitching in Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2? RE Engine at fault?

Keely1105

Prominent
Jun 16, 2020
Hey all,

I have a rig that I built less than a year ago. I love it, able to do whatever I need on it.
Here are my specs:
CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
MOBO: x570 MSI Unify
GPU: EVGA 2070 Super XC
Storage: Corsair MP600 NVMe 2TB and HDD 1TB
16 GB RAM RipJaw G.Skill

Devil May Cry 5 Stutter/Hitching Video

When I play certain games (seems to happen mostly in Devil May Cry 5 and Resident Evil 2/3) I get these intermittent gpu usage drops that result in an infrequent yet noticeable hitch/stutter. I could understand if I were streaming assets or something of the sort and that results in quick frame drops but that's not the case. I've included a clip where I am standing still charging my Sin Devil Trigger and it happens mid charge. Frame time stays the same, but usage and frame rate drops quickly then shoots back up. I get some microstutters from game to game depending on asset streaming which I believe is normal, but this hitching is different. It's really ruining my time with the game, and I'm a huge Devil May Cry fan so I've toughed it out until now but it's making me not even want to play. Anybody got any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Things I've Tried:
I've changed numerous settings in Nvidia Control Panel and in-game.
My RAM is running on XMP it happens whether or not XMP is on.
I've MemTested my RAM, all good.
I've checked for corrupted Windows files, all good there.
My GPU drivers are updated, and this problem has persisted across multiple driver updates.
GSync is on.
Have tried running the game w/o Afterburner.
Set a frame cap in game (you can see in the video it's 144)
Changing from DX12 to DX11 (On DX11 in the video)

Pretty frustrating, I paid all this money for my rig in the beginning of the year and I've been having issues like this. Someone suggested unplugging front panel USB on the motherboard? Haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the help in advance.

Solution
As a general rule: when using VRR set the frame cap to a few FPS BELOW the maximum screen refresh window. What may be happening is as you approach 144Hz the game briefly switches over the vanilla Vsync, which could be causing the behavior you are seeing. Set the frame cap to like 140Hz (I'm assuming your maximum Gsync refresh is 144Hz in this case) and see if that affects things.
As a general rule: when using VRR set the frame cap to a few FPS BELOW the maximum screen refresh window. What may be happening is as you approach 144Hz the game briefly switches over the vanilla Vsync, which could be causing the behavior you are seeing. Set the frame cap to like 140Hz (I'm assuming your maximum Gsync refresh is 144Hz in this case) and see if that affects things.

Solution

Keely1105

Prominent
Jun 16, 2020

Word, I will try this and let you know the results. I am indeed on 144Hz GSync. I appreciate the reply.