Question Stutters in every game on good hardware.

Oct 14, 2018
Hey, thanks for helping me out.
Ever since I got my new PC, which was almost a year ago. I've been fighting multiple problems, the biggest one being stutters.
Moving from a pretty old pc (gtx 660, i5 2400) I thought stutters would be gone, but they were present despite really high framerate.
It seems it doesn't matter how demanding the game is, as even Minecraft and CSGO stutters.

My PC Components are as listed:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-E GAMING
Memory: 16 GB DDR4 HyperX Fury
Storage: Toshiba P300 2 TB HDD , 480 GB M.2 SSD Kingston A1000
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Armor
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
Case Fans: 2x Corsair ML140 Pro Intakes, 1x Corsair ML120 Pro Rear Exhaust
Others: Corsair Lightning Node Pro, Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub, 1x Akasa Vegas MB Magnetic LED Strip
Power Supply: Corsair TX550M PSU (550W)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

MOBO bios are default, no overclocks or anything.

I've mostly blamed my AMD Ryzen to cause the stutters since I have never used AMD before this.
But it could be something else.

I initially had much more and longer stutters, but ever since I reinstalled windows they are shorter, but still present.
In some instances, a long stutter can occur, but it occurs far less than before.
I don't think it's thermal throttling, because neither the CPU or GPU goes beyond 80 fps.

I have tried a lot of different solutions, but don't fully remember which ones.

Oct 14, 2018
In what mode/mhz is your ram running?
Ryzen is known to love fast dual channel ram.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z memory and spd tabs?

memory.JPG

SPD.JPG

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Download some software to show you the temps of your hardware there are several out there so we can see if your being thermal throttled. Also download Prime95 and stress test the computer afterwards while keeping an eye on the temps.

Hit CTRL ALT DEL and look at the proccesses and see if anything is abnormal and using a lot of resources. While your in there look at Startup I believe its called and unselect anything that is not critical or security related so it doesn’t start when the computer is booted up and see how that goes, you have no idea how many times I resolved this issue or similar ones by doing this.

There are two things I'd suggest to get it running quicker:
• Make sure the RAM is in the correct slots for dual channel - should be slots 2 and 4, so it will go empty, RAM, empty, RAM.
• Overclock the RAM a little bit. You should try to push it to 2933 MHz if possible. You will have to do this from the BIOS.

Oct 14, 2018
• Make sure the RAM is in the correct slots for dual channel - should be slots 2 and 4, so it will go empty, RAM, empty, RAM.
• Overclock the RAM a little bit. You should try to push it to 2933 MHz if possible. You will have to do this from the BIOS.
They are in that order, I haven't tried overclocking RAM though, I will try that with caution

Reactions: ConanLock
Oct 14, 2018
Overclocking my RAM didn't get rid of the stutters

Oct 14, 2018
Do you have frame time monitoring software? How high are the frame times for a single "stutter"? How long between the stutters? Did you older computer also stutter and how does it compare?
In one of the games, the frame time jumps between 18 and 24, with no stutters. Then when it stutters it spikes up to 80 milliseconds! I remember my older computer not stuttering, but I might not have thought about it back then.

I have a picture of the stuttering in a graph.
stuttering.JPG

The flatline parts is me tabbing out, everthing else is ingame.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019
In one of the games, the frame time jumps between 18 and 24, with no stutters. Then when it stutters it spikes up to 80 milliseconds! I remember my older computer not stuttering, but I might not have thought about it back then.

I have a picture of the stuttering in a graph.
stuttering.JPG

The flatline parts is me tabbing out, everthing else is ingame.
Try updating you windows to the last version and then reinstall your gpu drivers with ddu, it worked for me also Ryzen 5 2600 also do this if you want using hdd for games check it with some programs maybe it's faulty.

Oct 14, 2018
Try updating you windows to the last version and then reinstall your gpu drivers with ddu, it worked for me also Ryzen 5 2600 also do this if you want using hdd for games check it with some programs maybe it's faulty.
I'm going to try reinstalling all my GPU drivers and let you know if the stuttering stops. It isn't my HDD since it stutters as much on the SSD

Jul 28, 2019
I'm going to try reinstalling all my GPU drivers and let you know if the stuttering stops. It isn't my HDD since it stutters as much on the SSD
Before reinstalling GPU drivers update your windows on latets version. Then reinstall your GPU driver with DDU. Now important thing is when you remove you GPU drivers with DDU and you PC boot and you see your desktop you need to have some lower resolution than with drivers like bigger icons or something like that. Also if that is not your case disable windows self installation drivers so you will be the one who will install driver not windows. Because windows installed driver automatically when I remove them by himself and that's the case when your pc will still have same problems. After removing first download GeForce Experience and istall it then from GeForce Experience update your driver than the problem shoud be fixed.