Question Stutters while gaming + getting lower fps on newer card than old

Jan 4, 2020
I had a problem about a week ago and ended up replacing my 1060 3gb with a 1660 ASUS DUAL OC TUF and it isn't working as i thought it would, i suspect it may bottlenecking my gpu, i read that the ryzen 5 1600 reduces fps on average when using a 1660 by -20%
I have my 1600 ocd to 3.75 from 3.4 turbo and its working fine, but im getting worse peformance in most games that my old 1060 3gb, and in one game in particular i get less fps than my mate with a 980 and a 2.6ghz processor running on all the same settings, and whenever i turn i drop 40 fps down to 15 (got 55-80 on 1060) and it makes my favorite game unplayable, i also tried without overclocked and leaving it at 3.4 ghz, still nothing. The only other reason i can think of is my ram G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL15 DDR4 is too slow for the gpu, i read somewhere that you would experience insane stutters pairing a 1660 with 2200mhz ram and mines pretty close to that so i was wondering if anyone could help.
TUF GTX 1660 OC EDITION 6GB
Ryzen 5 1600 OC'D @ 3.8ghz
Gigabyte-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL15 DDR4
cooler master v550 psu
thermaltake n27 versa snow edition mid tower case

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If the idea your cpu couldn't handle the extra gpu power from the 1660 then performance would be the same as 1060 not worse. This is inaccurate way of thinking about it though. You should see improvements and your R5 can handle faster cards.

Fast ram does make a difference but shouldn't be getting worse performance however i do recommend going for 2933 or 3200. Ryzen doesn't support 3000.

What was the problem you had prior with the 1660?

I suggest using DDU to uninstall drivers in safemode and reinstall the latest. If use GeForce Experience to optimise, return games to default settings and do it yourself.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
If the idea your cpu couldn't handle the extra gpu power from the 1060 then performance would be the same not worse. This is inaccurate way of thinking about it though. You should see improvements and your R5 can handle faster cards.

What was the problem you had prior with the 1060?

I suggest using DDU to uninstall drivers in safemode and reinstall the latest. If use GeForce Experience to optimise, return games to default settings and do it yourself.
What do you mean extra gpu power from the 1060? the 1660 has better clocks and twice the vram as i had a 3gb 1060, There was no issue with the 1060 its just showing up now with this new gpu getting ridiculously low frames on a card that is a fair bit better than my old gpu

Jan 4, 2020
If the idea your cpu couldn't handle the extra gpu power from the 1660 then performance would be the same as 1060 not worse. This is inaccurate way of thinking about it though. You should see improvements and your R5 can handle faster cards.

Fast ram does make a difference but shouldn't be getting worse performance however i do recommend going for 2933 or 3200. Ryzen doesn't support 3000.

What was the problem you had prior with the 1660?

There was no prior problem with the 1660, i got it 2 days ago. The problem now is im getting less fps than what i was getting with a clearly better card with the rest of the hardware the same, and in a few games minor suttering and heavy stuttering in some others, most heavy stutters were on gpu intensive games and only minor in cpu intensive games,
should i just boot in safemode and use ddu or

Jan 4, 2020
Oh ok, thought you had an issue with 1060 and was the reason you upgraded. What was the problem?

Yes DDU in safemode. Did you reinstall drivers for the 1660 when you got it?
No, when i got it i installed the drivers straight away and theyre up to date. After my pc not booting or turning on i took it to my local repair shop after a day of trying fixes and he figured out it was the gpu, i thought it was mobo/psu and so did he but he tried 1060 with new psu and it didnt work then tried diff gpu and it worked and then used old psu and 1660 and realised it was the gpu

Jan 4, 2020
Ok so pretty much the computer hasn't been performing since you got it back and performing worse than before with the 1060.

Try reinstall drivers using DDU first. Check cpu temps / speeds with HWinfo64 or Ryzen Master.
cpu just sits at 53 while in game and im still getting the stutters after safe mode reinstall with ddu, i believe its a ram issue and i made a mistake, my ram is 2666 mhz. It says that rust (the game) is using "very high" (in red) amount of ram, and as soon as i ended chrome (3gb ram) The stuttering calmed down a bit< the game isn't very well optimized, running a 2080 ti and 9900k with 32gb ram would most likely only get you 80-110 fps on low settings. the game is pretty memory intensive too with minimum spec of 10gb ram and with 8gb you stutter alot, but id probably stutter less than now with 4gb ram to be fair. spent all day trying to fix this getting a bit impatient lol, anyway i attached 2 photos with images from task manager while running rust.

8TGKdv8.png
F1NOOPR.png

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Task manager is saying very high power usage which is expected for games.

Your memory usage at 70% isn't that high.

Synapse is known to cause problems, try uninstall it.

Try not run too much background stuff when playing like Chrome as you have found.

Disable Xbox Game Bar and Cortana.

Faster ram may help. If you get a kit, get a set of 2x 16GB from a brand using Samsung Bdie chips.

Is Windows and games on an SSD?

Jan 4, 2020
Task manager is saying very high power usage which is expected for games.

Your memory usage at 70% isn't that high.

Synapse is known to cause problems, try uninstall it.

Try not run too much background stuff when playing like Chrome as you have found.

Disable Xbox Game Bar and Cortana.

Faster ram may help. If you get a kit, get a set of 2x 16GB from a brand using Samsung Bdie chips.

Is Windows and games on an SSD?
windows is on ssd, Rust is on ssd as the load time on a hdd for rust is like 15mins into a server vs rust about 4mins on ssd, i have a razer keyboard which i use synapse with, i dont have cortex installed though, dont use cortana, game bar is nice to change volume mid game instead of manually going to mixer but ill try that, also is it worth reinstalling to my other ssd? my rust is on my 222gb SSD C: drive with 77 gb free but my f drive is a 120gb ssd with 44gb free, would it possibly change anything or is it not worth it?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's fine where Rust is, 77GB free is still enough for Trim to work efficiently. If you had 10GB left that would be a problem.

Might want to try limit your pagefile size. In your memory screenshot for committed the size of it is 27GB, that's quite high for the amount of free space you have actually. Could be growing even higher. Try change it's maximum to like 12 or 16GB.

Jan 4, 2020
It's fine where Rust is, 77GB free is still enough for Trim to work efficiently. If you had 10GB left that would be a problem.

Might want to try limit your pagefile size. In your memory screenshot for committed the size of it is 27GB, that's quite high for the amount of free space you have actually. Could be growing even higher. Try change it's maximum to like 12 or 16GB.
pbrWbDD.png

Rust is installed on the C: Drive, am i changing it on the c drive and what am i making it for intial/max size

Jan 4, 2020

also im not sure if its related to the pagefile stuff but in the launch options i have a command row which basically helps fps and one of the commands is maxmem=12000 but i changed it to 8192 and stuttering reduced a bit and i think it might do the same as pagefile maybe? but ill try pagefile now

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah for C:\ drive. There's only one pagefile on the drive Windows is on.

I see there space available is 93GB, you sure it's 77? See how you go, changing pf size might not help at all but we'll see.

Can you also run Userbench and post link to results page please.

Another thing, what Windows power plan are you using?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try Windows balanced but with minimum processor state of 10%. I've read for Ryzen, balanced plan is preferred but it's a mixed bag. Some say it's better and some say doesn't make a difference. Though i have seen posts of improvements with balanced over high.

Jan 4, 2020
Try Windows balanced but with minimum processor state of 10%. I've read for Ryzen, balanced plan is preferred but it's a mixed bag. Some say it's better and some say doesn't make a difference. Though i have seen posts of improvements with balanced over high.
it says my pc is peforming well under expectation and most are decent but the gpu says its way under average, sent the benchmark link above the image if u didnt see

Jan 4, 2020
also when putting it on balanced it sleeps my pc after 30min and locks after 10min? dont really want that happening