Question Stylus writes "on its own".

Jul 29, 2015
Hello everyone. I am having an issue that is almost driving me to the edges of insanity.

In short, I have an HP Laptop (Spectre X360 to be exact, from late 2015) with Windows 10 64-bit installed and a resistive stylus that is specifically made for that series of laptops.

Normally, if the tip of the stylus is brought closer to the screen, it acts as a cursor. In order to create input with it, one needs to touch it to the screen and apply some amount of pressure.

The problem is, from time to time. I get this weird problem with the stylus where it creates input without touching the screen whatsoever. I just hold it static and it creates random lines. In the video, you can see exactly what I am talking about - https://streamable.com/qgio08

This stylus came with no drivers or any kind of installation media.
So far, I have tried to "uninstall" the device from the device manager and restart the computer hoping it would fix it. Which didn't work.
Interestingly enough, if I lock the computer with Win+L combination, it behaves normally there. So, at this point I am fairly positive that it is a software related issue. But I have no software that could remotely be interfering with the stylus operation whatsoever. My touchscreen is also disabled and even if it didn't it should not be interfering with the stylus anyway.

The only "fix" to this issue is either going back to the restore point I created earlier but this sometimes doesn't work either. Another way (which has always worked the few times I tried it) is "Resetting" the PC which removes all the software.

Am I right in assuming that there must be a certain folder somewhere that has files controlling stylus behaviour? My interaction with HP Tech Support was egregious as they stated firmly that there is no such folder, some agents even went so far as to claim that some device my neighbours using may be "interfering" with the stylus which is a silly thing to claim since it goes away on a freshly reset account.

At this point, I am totally clueless regarding how to fix this abomination.
I would more than appreciate if anyone gives me specific instructions as to how I should diagnose this issue as I do not want to reset the PC every few months.

The frustrating part is that I could not get any specific hints on how I could move further. The only way for me to "fix" this is the classic definition of throwing the baby with the bathwater.

Let's say I create a new user account where this issue doesn't happen. How should I compare this with the existing account to determine what is the difference between those 2 that causes this?

If I need to provide more information regarding my computer or anything else, please let me know.
Thanks to everyone in advance.

UPDATE: I created a new local user account and tried the stylus behaviour there. Interestingly inside OneNote it behaves normally, but outside of it it goes berserk again. It seems the pen "chooses" to misbehave on certain settings...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2015
So, ghostwriting on a Spectre laptop? I'm thinking an exorcism might be in order. 👻
Well, it is definitely not a ghost :)
When I reset my account to factory settings without deleting apps or personal files, the problem persisted.
However, I just reset windows and just kept the personal files but deleted the apps and settings.
Now it works fine. So, it must be software-related. The funny thing is it created a file on my desktop named "Removed apps", NONE of which has anything to do with causing stylus malfunction.
I am at a loss for words at this point.