Question Sub $1000 build - Already have an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

fr4nkenstein

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: sub $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: EVERYTHING EXCEPT A CPU & POSSIBLY A CASE - Motherboard, GPU, PSU, Ram, SSD + hard drive, disc drives, (possibly a case)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Newegg.com - not a huge preference

Parts Preferences: No brand preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: IDK what this means

Your Monitor Resolution: I'm not a huge stickler for picture quality - I'll most likely get a cheaper quality monitor.

Additional Comments: I have a case I can reuse - or I can purchase a new one. The case I have is a Fractal Design Define Mini & it shows the motherboard compatibility as Micro ATX

I also already have (and am basing the build around) an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G.

Thank you so much for any and all advice!!!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You should readily be able to build a system based around that. I recently priced a complete system just at $800 on Newegg a couple of days ago. Probably going to be considering a RX6600 level of GPU, the Corsair 750M. Micro ATX mobo are among the least expensive form factor, but do your homework to be sure it is actually ready for the CPU you have to drop in and work, not just "ready" (as in available BIOS update). There are options for some mobo to allow BIOS updates without CPU/RAM installed.
You should be able to round the system out with 2x8GB of RAM and storage options under your budget, along with a 1080/60 monitor. Since you have a G skew you technically could pick other options instead of a GPU, but it certainly will limit your resolution and quality options in games.