Substantially higher temps after getting a new motherboard and case.

whatsup1396

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Hi everyone,

Due to a motherboard failure (an Asrock z370-m) I decided it was time to get a full size ATX board and case. I swapped out my old Corsair Carbide Air 240 for an EVGA DG-76 and an EVGA Z370 FTW motherboard.

Nothing else has changed in my build besides the case and motherboard, with a Core i7 8700k overclocked to 4.8 Ghz, a 1080ti, and a Corsair h80i v2 to cool the CPU.

In the BIOS my CPU temps read at 45 degrees C whereas previously it was 28... In HW monitor however my CPU still idles around 28 degrees according to it. The difference however is much more apparent when it comes to stress testing and gaming. In Prime95 doing the small FFT work task my temps would shoot up to 100 degrees, playing Battlefield 1 they get as high as 85. In my previous case these tasks would rarely see the CPU go above 70 degrees.

I have reseated my cooler multiple times (being sure to clean off all the thermal paste). I once considered that the issue lied in that my backplate for the h80i was quite loose (a thinner motherboard perhaps?) and so I put washers in the back to make the cooler fit much more snugly to the CPU. Still no change however. The pumps are working correctly as well and is set to "performance mode" in corsair link. My overclock is still providing the same Vcore as on my previous motherboard (around 1.28v).

I am at a loss here in explaining why my temperatures are so much higher. The cases ambient temperature is better then my Air 240 and my 1080ti even runs a few degrees cooler under load. Right now I'm considering buying a hyper 212 cooler and trying that out but I really don't think my water cooler has gone bad or anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

Solution
Certainly the newer mainboard could be applying higher core voltage by default, but, that can be manipulated directly or via offset/vdroop, etc..