Substituting a DVD burner

My PC has a 16x CD re-writer and a 8x DVD player (both internal). I want to
buy a DVD burner (probably 16x dual layer etc.). Which drive should I
replace, the DVD player or CD re-writer, given that I still want to be able
to play and record CDs ? Also any reccomendations ?
Thanks

"Stephen Judge" <stephen@stephenjudge.plus.com> wrote in message
> My PC has a 16x CD re-writer and a 8x DVD player (both internal). I want
> buy a DVD burner (probably 16x dual layer etc.). Which drive should I
> replace, the DVD player or CD re-writer, given that I still want to be
> able
> to play and record CDs ? Also any reccomendations ?
> Thanks

The DVD burner should be able to replace both drives.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:52:57 -0000, "Stephen Judge"
<stephen@stephenjudge.plus.com> wrote:

| My PC has a 16x CD re-writer and a 8x DVD player (both internal). I want to
| buy a DVD burner (probably 16x dual layer etc.). Which drive should I
| replace, the DVD player or CD re-writer, given that I still want to be able
| to play and record CDs ? Also any reccomendations ?
| Thanks

The new burner should perform circles around both your existing units.
If I were going to keep one, I'd choose the DVD player since that
would provide support for ripping CDs and DVDs.

Larc

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:52:57 -0000, "Stephen Judge"
> <stephen@stephenjudge.plus.com> wrote:
>
> | My PC has a 16x CD re-writer and a 8x DVD player (both internal). I
> want to
> | buy a DVD burner (probably 16x dual layer etc.). Which drive should I
> | replace, the DVD player or CD re-writer, given that I still want to be
> able
> | to play and record CDs ? Also any reccomendations ?
> | Thanks
>
> The new burner should perform circles around both your existing units.
> If I were going to keep one, I'd choose the DVD player since that
> would provide support for ripping CDs and DVDs.
>
> Larc

Why can't he just use the new DVD burner for ripping also?
I think if one drive can handle everything, then there is no reason to run
2.

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:52:57 -0000, "Stephen Judge"
> <stephen@stephenjudge.plus.com> wrote:
>
> | My PC has a 16x CD re-writer and a 8x DVD player (both internal). I
> want to
> | buy a DVD burner (probably 16x dual layer etc.). Which drive should I
> | replace, the DVD player or CD re-writer, given that I still want to be
> able
> | to play and record CDs ? Also any reccomendations ?
> | Thanks
>
> The new burner should perform circles around both your existing units.
> If I were going to keep one, I'd choose the DVD player since that
> would provide support for ripping CDs and DVDs.
>
> Larc
>

> §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§

Ditto what Larc said. Exactly what i did in your situation. Can't recomend a
dual layer device as mine is single layer though.

Stephen Judge wrote:

> My PC has a 16x CD re-writer and a 8x DVD player (both internal). I want
> to buy a DVD burner (probably 16x dual layer etc.). Which drive should I
> replace, the DVD player or CD re-writer, given that I still want to be
> able to play and record CDs ? Also any reccomendations ?

Honestly, I'd upgrade the DVD player, which you could easily do for about
$40 or less and ditch the CD burner altogether. Having an extra DVD player
enables you to copy disk to disk, without having to make an image file on
your hard drive in the process. However, I'd replace the 8X with a modern
16X so that it could keep up. If $40 is too much to part with, I'd still
keep the DVD over the CD burner.

> Why can't he just use the new DVD burner for ripping also?
> I think if one drive can handle everything, then there is no reason to run
> 2.

Lots of folks who copy CDs/DVDs do it "on the fly", ie they copy the
CD/DVD from one drive while burning it to another. It saves a heck of a lot
of time in that the data does not have to be copied to the hard drive first
but can be copied directly to the recordable medium.
As far as a dual layer burner goes it's still prohibitive for most folks
to be investing in such disks for the high prices they go for. I'd expect to
have to wait another 6 months to a year before dual layer is a viable
option. Even then, from what I understand, dual layer is only being
advertised as DVD+ format. Not that it's bad, but Apple machines certainly
won't read them since they only use DVD-.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Why can't he just use the new DVD burner for ripping also?
>> I think if one drive can handle everything, then there is no reason to
>> run 2.
>
> Lots of folks who copy CDs/DVDs do it "on the fly", ie they copy the
> CD/DVD from one drive while burning it to another. It saves a heck of a
> lot of time in that the data does not have to be copied to the hard drive
> first but can be copied directly to the recordable medium.

Even if you can copy on the fly, it's best to create an image file on the
hard drive first. Many copy protection schemes are meant to foil on the fly
copying, and are ineffective if you create a copy from an image file. -Dave

Thanks for replies. Am I right to presume that a new DVD burner will also be
able to write CDs then ? If so I'll ditch the old CD writer.
I do use "on the fly" but not so worried about copying copyright protected
stuff. My biggest task at the moment is transferring my vinyl to CD.
Thanks
"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >> Why can't he just use the new DVD burner for ripping also?
> >> I think if one drive can handle everything, then there is no reason to
> >> run 2.
> >
> > Lots of folks who copy CDs/DVDs do it "on the fly", ie they copy the
> > CD/DVD from one drive while burning it to another. It saves a heck of a
> > lot of time in that the data does not have to be copied to the hard
drive
> > first but can be copied directly to the recordable medium.
> >

> Even if you can copy on the fly, it's best to create an image file on the
> hard drive first. Many copy protection schemes are meant to foil on the
fly
> copying, and are ineffective if you create a copy from an image
ile. -Dave

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:08:02 -0000, "Stephen Judge"
<stephen@stephenjudge.plus.com> wrote:

| Thanks for replies. Am I right to presume that a new DVD burner will also be
| able to write CDs then ? If so I'll ditch the old CD writer.
| I do use "on the fly" but not so worried about copying copyright protected
| stuff. My biggest task at the moment is transferring my vinyl to CD.

Any 16x DVD burner should burn CDs at 40x or better, rated media speed
permitting. I burn at least as many CDs as DVDs in my DVD burner.

Larc