Question Subwoofer sounds like thunder.

Scottyp123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
I've got a 5.1 system, amp is a Yamaha and the speakers are Tannoy with an active sub, probably 7 or 8 years old by now. Every so often I think there is a storm brewing outside but it turns out the sub is making storm like noises all by itself. Even if I unplug the optical lead from it it still makes the noises as long as its switched on and got power.

I'm guessing some of the capacitors have gone faulty inside it but could it be anything else? I've left it switched off for now.

Scottyp123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
Thanks but it makes the noise even when the signal cable isn't connected. It hasn't allways done it, it has been fine for the past 7 years and is only recently that it has started happening.

You can be sat there for ages in silence, days even and all of a sudden at random it will sound like a storm is brewing outside, just like faint thunder or a high wind. Its very strange.

D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks but it makes the noise even when the signal cable isn't connected. It hasn't allways done it, it has been fine for the past 7 years and is only recently that it has started happening.

You can be sat there for ages in silence, days even and all of a sudden at random it will sound like a storm is brewing outside, just like faint thunder or a high wind. Its very strange.

Ground loop can also come from your wall plug my good sir. I have that issue in my house both my Mackie and my Elac hum a bit without outputs plugged in.

TRENDING THREADS