Subwoofer turning on when i touch diaphragm

Dec 3, 2018
So my subwoofer has been working fine for the past 1 year but recently it started breaking up. I start the car and the subwoofer is not working. The only way to make it start working is if i go in the trunk and press lightly with my fingers on the diaphragm. Afterwards , it shuts off. But it only shuts off when there is no music playing , for example the few seconds of silence when song ends and another song starts. At that point i have to go back in the trunk and press on the diaphragm again for the subwoofer to start again. Any idea what might be the cause? I messaged a guy that knows something about subwoofer and he said i need another subwoofer , but didn't give me any details...

I think the most likely cause is there is a loose connection in the subwoofer and you are reconnecting it when you press on the diaphragm.

Perhaps the vibrations somehow keep it from disconnecting.

I would look at the two wires that go from the terminals to the coil and see if there is anything amiss with that.

Although I think there's a good chance the problem isn't visible and it may be easier to just get a new subwoofer.