[SOLVED] Succesful POST, but no BIOS

Dec 11, 2019
If this is a common question I really do apologize. I've tried scouring for something relevant to my problem for the last day and nothing stands out.

First time setting up I got a memory error beep code with both sticks, trying one at a time in various slots. RMA. Now with shiny new working RAM I get a succesfull beep code. But that's it, no input signal/no BIOS.

I know that the monitor is good, and that the connection cable is good. I've tried both HDMI and ...whatever the funky one is. DP or something. I swapped out the new GFX card for an old one that I know works and it's the same story.

I have a second 650w PSU that I know works, so I'm going to try swapping that out but other than that I'm at a bit of a lose. I'm not sure how to proceed.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fjLt7T

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($100.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1392.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-11 21:31 EST-0500

Solution
Thank you for posting that. I have gone through it.

I tried a different PSU, also 650w and nothing changes.

After watching the process of the computer "booting up", to POST many times, it seems as if it does power up, GPU fans and all, untill the short beep. At that point the GPU fans cease. The case fans and CPU fan continue as well, but the CPU fan does seem different, like it goes into some static passive mode.

From the, perform these steps link, I'm lead to think that the PSU isn't delivering enough power. Could that really be though? I thought 650w would be fine for the system I'm trying to build.
Some of these things may be a repeat from that list and if you tried it already just ignore what im saying for that part...
Dec 11, 2019

After watching the process of the computer "booting up", to POST many times, it seems as if it does power up, GPU fans and all, untill the short beep. At that point the GPU fans cease. The case fans and CPU fan continue as well, but the CPU fan does seem different, like it goes into some static passive mode.

From the, perform these steps link, I'm lead to think that the PSU isn't delivering enough power. Could that really be though? I thought 650w would be fine for the system I'm trying to build.

Some of these things may be a repeat from that list and if you tried it already just ignore what im saying for that part. Unless there is something wrong with that PSU I would say that it is something else.

I would uninstall the CPU and make sure there are no bent pins. I would also reinstall the heatsink making sure that it has good contact with the CPU heat spreader. There could also be a loose screw or standoff in the case from the build causing a short. To find a loose screw or standoff remove the GPU from the computer and gently shake is listening for it moving in the case. You may also just have a defective motherboard. It happens. Before we come to that determination I would flash the BIOS to the latest version with BIOS flashback if the motherboard has it and try again. Sometimes the BIOS gets corrupted when first added to the mobo and can be flashed to make a seemingly dead motherboard work again.

Other than that I would assume the PSU is good because it's a Seasonic. You just got new RAM so it most likely isn't that given G Skill RAM is some of the most reliable. What are the odds it was bad 2 times in a row? It's not the GPU because you tried a known working one with no change. All that's left is your Storage device, which isn't even formated yet so it cannot be that. All that's left is a potential bad CPU or motherboard. I hope my reasoning helped. Post back if you find out anything new!

Solution
Dec 11, 2019
Thank you for your response. pins and standoffs are good. Today I tried flashing the BIOS as ive read this board has had issues out the box. So heres where I'm starting to think the motherboard is bad. I have it set up to flash the bios, fat32 flashdrive plugged into the right spot. After I plug in and turn the power on the board blips light but then back to nothing. Pressing the q flash button to start the process again does nothing, no blinking led light to indicate anything is happening.

Also, I should say the blip of lights when the power is turned on, and then back to nothing seems like a short. I just have no idea where it would come from. Stands and screws are good. I see no metal that could be touching. Also, if it was a short then I wouldn't be able to POST when every thing is plugged in right?

So, as per gigabytes instructions my last foray into dealing with this was with a straight up breadboard setup, to insure no shorts. No CPU, memory or anything plugged in. This is just to flash the BIOS. USB in the right spot, file labeled correctly. Plugging in and turning on the PSU causes the MOBO lights to flash before going dead again. Q flash plus button gives no indication of activity if pressed.

Safe to say I should RMA the board? Am I jumping the gun? I apologize for how wordy this was, I just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything important out.

Last edited:
You're right on the lower end of the manufacturer recommended PSU power requirement (650W), but it should work. This may seem like a silly question, but I have seen it before. The monitor is plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard, right? I have to ask since the motherboard has an HDMI port.

Dec 11, 2019
You're right on the lower end of the manufacturer recommended PSU power requirement (650W), but it should work. This may seem like a silly question, but I have seen it before. The monitor is plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard, right? I have to ask since the motherboard has an HDMI port.

No, I appreciate those questions because I want this to be something silly that I overlooked. The monitor was plugged in to the GFX card, not the mobo, trying HDMI and then display port, in case one was bad.

I also tried to bread board with out the gfx card, and plug into the mobo, but I think this mobo doesn't have on board gfx? The mobo manual says the HDMI port is for 2nd gen ryzen with radeon vega GFX processors only. Regardless, it didnt work, gave me a GFX card beep code error.

No, I appreciate those questions because I want this to be something silly that I overlooked. The monitor was plugged in to the GFX card, not the mobo, trying HDMI and then display port, in case one was bad.

I also tried to bread board with out the gfx card, and plug into the mobo, but I think this mobo doesn't have on board gfx? The mobo manual says the HDMI port is for 2nd gen ryzen with radeon vega GFX processors only. Regardless, it didnt work, gave me a GFX card beep code error.
The Ryzen 3000 CPUs do not have built-in graphics so the motherboard video ports are useless to you. I would like to think it's safe to say that the motherboard is defective. This is evident by trying to update the BIOS with nothing connected and having no response. I would return / RMA the motherboard. There are no other diagnostic ideas I can think of at this time. If anyone else thinks otherwise please help this man!

Oct 17, 2019
If all of your fans are working, try and see if the ram is seated correctly. Give the bottom and top part a bit of force, and see if you pushed it down correctly.